What's the worst ever Super Bowl performance by a team?

notthatbluestuff

1 hour ago, RUGmen said:

2013 Broncos.

The Defense looked completely unprepared and that was probably the most confused I have ever seen Peyton be in a game. You know the game is going downhill for yourselves when you start the game off on the first play with a botched snap leading to a Safety.

Too bad Peyton couldn't repeat that performance 2 years later. He single-handedly started Cam Newton's downfall. I doubt Newton is in the NFL next year.

I eliminate teams like the 2000 Giants, 1985 Patriots, and the 2002 Raiders because they would get killed 20 times out of 20 so it was not that day's performance.

• This goes double for the Raiders who were running Gruden's playbook at Gruden's new team.

The 2013 Broncos were so bad that day that my neighbor took down their Bronco's flag before I got home from my SB party.

• The fans were that embarrassed. I understood that feeling.

The 1980 Eagles won their first 2 playoff games by 15 and 13 and beat the Raiders in a close game during the season.

• They got annihilated and we were just as embarrassed in 1980.

4 hours ago, FinSting said:

That one always gets my vote, the score was 44-3 at one point. And the Patriots were actually ahead of the Bears 3-0 in the 1st quarter.

"Hey guys we have a chance here." 

The AFC Championship against Miami was the real Super Bowl for us.

10 hours ago, BayRaider said:

Worst Offensive Performance of All Time: 2018 Rams

Can’t put them in a Top 10 Overall Performance List because their defense balled. However, McVay hilariously got out coached by Bellichick like class was in session, for the entire 60 minutes... and Goff looked like he shouldn’t be an NFL QB and legit had no idea what was going on for all 60 minutes. 

Yes.

Although it would be remiss of me not to mention that McDaniels got thoroughly outcoached by Wade, as well. Until he didn't, of course. Which was the difference. The 4 calls in a row (Same calls different personnel)...how was it that THAT is what confused them? 

11 hours ago, Trojan said:

Other than the listed ones already, the Colts losing SB 3 to the Jets gotta count for something.
The Jets were massive underdogs. NFL's Colts were coached by Don Shula, and the AFL Jets were coached by the guy Shula replaced. The previous 2 post-merger SBs the Vince Lombardi Packers smoked the Chiefs and Raiders. The AFL wasn't respected and only had 10 teams to the NFL's 16, the path to playoffs is easier for AFL (Colts Steelers and Browns eventually swapped to the AFC to make it 13 v. 13, but at the time AFL wasn't a serious thing other than the money they threw at guys to force a conversation of if the two leagues were even near equals -- and Joe Namath was -the- guy that got the fat contract out of Alabama). Johnny Unitas was the superstar of football in general, sure he got hurt and didn't play most of the year, but he was healthy for the game when he was needed. The Colts were the #2 offense and #1 defense (and even was tied as #1 defense all-time at the time). The Colts scored 402 points and gave up 144. That's insanity. Comparing to a Colts team we saw in our lifetimes, the 2006 Colts who won the SB scored 427 points and gave up 360. Shula's undefeated 1972 Dolphins a couple years later had 385 for and 171 against. That Superbowl 3 Colts team is so unbelievably favored it's insane, and the Jets won 16 to 7.

I attended that game. I was in third grade. Tickets were $15. Then my dad was absolutely furious at the $4 parking fee, directly across the street from the Orange Bowl. That price to park was unheard of in those days. My dad was in disbelief and kept ranting about it as we walked to the stadium. Finally nearing the gate my mom asked him if he was going to ruin the entire day while whining about the price to park.

It remains the only Super Bowl I have ever attended and I have no interest in attending another one. Most famous football game of all time is not a bad list. I wasn't really surprised at the outcome. A few weeks earlier my dad took the family to the season finale Dolphins hosting Jets. The Jets won that game handily, something like 31-7. So I knew all about the top New York players already. Even the defensive backs were well known names. 

That AFL Championship game preceding the Super Bowl was incredibly tense. Dusty field in New York. Namath and the Jets barely overcame Lamonica and the Raiders. I remember sweating out the 4th quarter every play.

The Super Bowl itself was incredibly colorful. Most colorful football game I have ever attended. Even in that era they really knew how to dress up the field and the pageantry. We were low in the west end zone. There was a guy walking around with a sign that said, "Earl the Pearl will make Joe the Mouth eat his words"

Namath ran off the field toward the tunnel waving his finger in the air #1, smack toward where we were sitting. Actually we were standing. The Colts fans had departed. So my family got up and moved a bit to our right as the Jets exited the field. So every time I see the famous shot of Namath waving his finger I can envision where we were standing and cheering. It was a moment of such immense pride for all AFL fans and especially AFL cities.

Edited by Awsi Dooger
  • Like 3

I would say the 1969 Vikings deserve a mention. That was pathetic. Double digit 11 point favorite that was down 16-0 at halftime and basically non competitive after the first series of the game. I remember it well because of all the hype. That Vikings team was dominant and feared all season. Long winning streak that was unheard of in the NFL at that stage. NFL fans and also the sports media were in arrogant agreement that the Jets upset of the Colts a year earlier was mostly a fluke, and now the powerhouse Vikings would more than make up for it by thrashing the Chiefs. That was actually a big talking point before the game, that Minnesota would ruthlessly run up the score to restore the proper reputation and pecking order of the two leagues, before the merger in a few months. 

Instead the Chiefs simply had superior personnel and strategy, and it was quickly obvious. Joe Kapp suddenly looked like a hunchback old man. He never played for the Vikings again.

My grandfather was the only one I was aware of who predicted accurately. He scoffed at the Vikings being favored and insisted Kansas City would win with greater authority than the Jets had. It really stood out to be because although my papa was a football fan he seldom offered strong opinions beforehand. I've never understood how he figured it out. He was literally laughing every day at the notion that the Vikings would win.