Spinning Tires: Steelers 2021 Offseason and Beyond...

43M

11 minutes ago, warfelg said:

Don't be surprised if Juju leaves next year.  

My honest $0.02 is he really wanted a 1 year deal more to go where Darnold will be.

???

He wants to go where a QB who may never start again will be?

Hell, there is a chance Darnild could be in Pittsburgh next year?   Doubtful. But possible.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Dcash4 said:

I don’t know. He had every opportunity to go to Darnold’s team right now, if that’s his ultimate goal. I think the Darnold stuff is overblown. Juju had 1 year with him at USC. He’s more likely to see what Cody Kessler is up to. If they are absolute best friends till death, maybe....but as we stand Darnolds closer to out of the league than long term plan. I can’t imagine JuJu’s planning his future around that.

He passed up a tremendous opportunity for his future with the Chiefs to take a pay cut to player for the Steelers. I think there’s a little more there than just a one year prove it deal. 

I mostly agree.

I think the primary reasons Juju probably took the one year deal because a) the market for his services wasnt quite as high as he expected, 2)  he likes his teammates and coaches in Pittsburgh and 3)  they told him they would pay him next year (which theyve "lied" about before).

Its pretty crazy all he got was one year offers.

1 minute ago, DR43 said:

Why did we keep JuJu???

Is this going to come at teh expense of Nelson or is there something else going on there?

Because Ben wanted him back and he is our most consistent receiver.

Nelson is a free agent in 2022, and I dont think he is in our future plans.

2 minutes ago, 43M said:

Because Ben wanted him back and he is our most consistent receiver.

Nelson is a free agent in 2022, and I dont think he is in our future plans.

Who will be our future at CB when Haden and Nelson are gone next year?  
What can we expect in return for Nelson?  A 4th rounder?

I'll put it this way on Juju, if he really  wanted to be here long term, he would have signed a deal with money kicking in later (aka backloaded) and committed.  Its just another year with a QB he knows will feed him into a year with a weaker WR draft class and a higher cap.

6 minutes ago, warfelg said:

I'll put it this way on Juju, if he really  wanted to be here long term, he would have signed a deal with money kicking in later (aka backloaded) and committed.  Its just another year with a QB he knows will feed him into a year with a weaker WR draft class and a higher cap.

Yep and we will be players in that class too gotta figure. 

35 minutes ago, DaRealTitletown said:

I really wanna see if they move Tuitt's money around and maybe Boswells to allow them to make a move now? Too many holes for this last ride bs

Who would you recommend signing?

41 minutes ago, warfelg said:

It still comes down to financial leverage, and the wide receiver position had none this off-season. Backloaded or not, why would the Steelers hand out a $16m+ contract when the receivers in the class are not getting that? 

Honestly, receivers might not have any next offseason either (the market catching up to itself), but he has a better chance playing well and cashing in - even back with the Steelers - next year. 

5 minutes ago, DR43 said:

Who would you recommend signing?

A vet corner maybe a vet ILB or OLB like Justin Houston... 

Once they move on from Nelson with JuJu's low cap hit, like 1.7 million, they are better off cap wise then when the day started. Probably around 9 or 10 million in space. 

“Hello, Jon? Yeah, it’s Kevin. Listen, I got a receiver proposition I wanna run past you. Yes, I know Martavius and Antonio didn’t work out so well. No, no it’s not juju. Yes, Jon, I know you can’t forgive him for that hit on Burfict when you were in the booth.

No, now Jon listen. It’s James Washington. Yeah that one. Yup. Looks kinda like a running back. We were thinking about a fif.....no, no your totally right. A third sounds perfect. Alright, Jon I’ll send the paper work.”

• Like 5