TNF: Eagles @ Panthers

TheRealMcCoy

Just now, incognito_man said:

It really wasn't, we have no idea where the ball was vertically relative to the field when it crossed the goalline plane. Needed an overhead view or a composite view from orthogonal directions.

Maybe they could get some sort of CAD program on the review tablet to map out some sort of grid. But until then that call can't be changed.

2 minutes ago, CKSteeler said:

I'm confused...why can't that be overturned? The league, despite centralizing the review process, can't even keep a clear line between conclusive versus inconclusive. His body didn't touch the ground and the ball had crossed the plane. It was conclusive.

The League Office is just as bad as the refs. I have been entirely unimpressed with reviews this year.

Just now, Ragnarok said:

I agree that it should be consistent.  

But that type of play shouldn't be called.  I think the defender gave up as much as possible by halting his own momentum as well as he was able.  You can't ask guys to defy physics.  So I disagree on him trying to get his licks in on Newton...their D has hit him a lot already.  You're ahead in the game...you don't risk that penalty if you can help it.  

Although sometimes, it does seem like refs expect guys to do that.  

In that situation, in the modern NFL, the defender knows or should know what's going to happen. The QB will slide and going for the hit will draw a flag. It's why the rule exists. To limit hits on the QB, especially to the head.

I don't disagree with you at all that it shouldn't be flagged, on principle. My argument is simpler - it's football. A QB wants to run, he should be hit. It was a soft play, relatively speaking. But it is a flag and one that is almost always going to be thrown regardless.

1 minute ago, incognito_man said:

It really wasn't, we have no idea where the ball was vertically relative to the field when it crossed the goalline plane. Needed an overhead view or a composite view from orthogonal directions time-synched.

Put two angles together. I think you could tell. Combine the angle from the side with the angle facing Cam.

Just now, james.mcmurry13 said:

Maybe they could get some sort of CAD program on the review tablet to map out some sort of grid. But until then that call can't be changed.

i actually *thought* they had the ability to synch multiple views up.

This would have been easy to determine if that were the case.

2 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

I didn't realize there was a problem with the refs until I started reading this thread.

As a casual observer nothing really jumped out to me.

For what it's worth. And I'm maybe slightly leaning Philly here for some reason too.

Missed holdings on Carolina's o-line. BS holding on Eagles OL where Panthers DL begged for the flag. BS DPI on an uncatchable ball. No DPI called on Panthers mugging Jeffery on a deep ball. Weak block in the back.

2 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

It's a penalty by the rules today.

I get that. I just don't like the double-standards by some people is all.

I carry the same stance on every call. For instance, I too think the league is soft now, but I personally would've been pissed as a fan if it had got called because it wasn't intentional, he hit him with his side and slowed his momentum. 

Just now, TheRealMcCoy said:

Missed holdings on Carolina's o-line. BS holding on Eagles OL where Panthers DL begged for the flag. BS DPI on an uncatchable ball. No DPI called on Panthers mugging Jeffery on a deep ball. Weak block in the back.

Missed holding call on Carolina's O-Line?  When?

Archived