Cowboys hire Dan Quinn as DC

RaidersAreOne

7 minutes ago, TheKillerNacho said:

has McCarthy and Quinn actually worked with eachother before?

Nah, only place I thought there would be a chance would have been SF but Quinn went to Miami to coach the DL the same year MM came on as their OC.  This is a bit of a headscratcher, really thought this was going to be a Joe Whitt hire. 

2 hours ago, ///mcompact said:

Can’t be worse than Mike Nolan, but that’s not saying much..

I dunno about that their both Falcons retreads back to back just like yall are doing and im not sure Quinn was better than Nolan when both were calling the plays.   The Falcons defense only improved when Quinn removed himself from the job and let Raheem and Ulbrich take over the defense fully. 

I just ran the numbers of when Nolan was calling our defense vs when Quinn took over each year from his coordinators and ran it here

Nolan was 374.6 ypg and 24.1 PPG   from 2012 to 2014  and  Quinn was  387.3 ypg  and 25.7 PPG  the 4 years he took over the defense from his coordinators.   So somehow he was worse than Nolan here which sorta scares me XD

1 minute ago, TheKillerNacho said:

You are a man of many words.

My friend you know the wisest ones are the ones who don't reveal their secrets so easily :P     With that said the dreaded double post got me when i was typing the 1st post up there i hit submit and it didn't show my post so i thought i misclicked it and hit it again.   Then it posted both of them i tried to delete that 2nd post but don't see a delete post button anywhere on it so i just erased all the words :)   If you can delete that post feel free to for me if ya don't mind. or even better put something random and funny in it making fun of me or quinn or nolan i don't care :D

15 minutes ago, FalconFan13 said:

I dunno about that their both Falcons retreads back to back just like yall are doing and im not sure Quinn was better than Nolan when both were calling the plays.   The Falcons defense only improved when Quinn removed himself from the job and let Raheem and Ulbrich take over the defense fully. 

I just ran the numbers of when Nolan was calling our defense vs when Quinn took over each year from his coordinators and ran it here

Nolan was 374.6 ypg and 24.1 PPG   from 2012 to 2014  and  Quinn was  387.3 ypg  and 25.7 PPG  the 4 years he took over the defense from his coordinators.   So somehow he was worse than Nolan here which sorta scares me XD

Talk to me about the talent differences?

3 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

Talk to me about the talent differences?

If you are talking for the Falcons between each regime

Nolans key guys were   Abe, Babs, Spoon, Robinson, Samuel, Tyson Jackson and Willy Mo Rest were meh at best

Quinns main guys were  Grady, Debo, Jackson, Trufant, Alford, Neal, Allen, Brooks Reed, Adrian Clayborn, Takk Mckinley, Beasley and Devondre Campbell   Later we got Foye who turned out great under Raheem.

Abraham at DE is easily the best for Nolan no doubt about it. 

I would say

CB -Tru and Alford were = to or better than Robinson and Samuel although it's really close. 

DT - Grady Jarrett >>>>>>>  Dominates anything ever at DT Nolan had  and i loved babs but compared to grady it's not even close.

LB - Debo, Foye, and Campbell >>>>>>  Spoon, Joplo, and Warrilow, Biermann at LB

S - Rico and Neal are better than Willo Mo and Decoud    I would say it's closer than ppl think though. 

DE - Beasley, Clayborne, Takk, Reed, and if you want to count him Dante Fowler for Quinn.   Nolan  was Abe, Tyson Jackson, and Osi for 1 year   Quinn had more depth but i think Nolan had the better players.  Although no one can say they didn't try to give Quinn talent at the position. 

Overall i would say Quinn had better players and talent to work with but performed worse than Nolan with it  and when someone else took over these players from Quinn performed much better than Quinn did with them. 

2017 Marquan Manuel was the DC calling plays and finished top 10 on defense with same players.  He got fired with Sark after finishing top 10 on defense which was dumb and then Quinn took those same players the next 2 years and finished bottom 25.  Raheem/ulbrich took over after 5 games this year and thew 1st 5 games under Quinn we were dead last in ypg and ppg or right there with the cowboys in both.  After Morris took over outside of the last bucs game to end the season we were 20.9 ppg for 10 games which was good for 2nd and top 15 in ypg for those 10 games as well which was more in line with Marquan Manual in 2017's numbers.  Quinn is the one constant in everything getting worse or better when he took over plays and removed himself from plays.