Marty Hurney hired as WFT GM

A TRAIN 89

21 hours ago, ripsean21 said:

Rhule was hired then they fired Hurney after all offseason matters

Nobody gets credit for selecting Megatron and Stafford. When you have Calvin staring you down you make that pick same with having a 0-16 team and drafting Stafford. 
mans of those names on Hurney how many non first rounders are on that list? And that’s with all his time I’m not saying he hasn’t done good things. To me it’s just a mistake but it’s not the worse thing we could have done I just wasn’t the choice a team trying to be a trend setter instead again I feel like we’re going to be chasing trends which is a system for not winning SB’s.

Why not?

Mayhew could’ve drafted someone else who busted but Mayhew took the correct players and the coaching staff he hired in Schwartz & then Caldwell put those players in a place to be successful. They could’ve done what the raiders did & Drafted Jamarcus Russell over others. They could have drafted someone else and it not worked out like Matt Millen had done before him when he passed on guys like Aaron Rodgers & others.

Just bc it seems like the obvious decision after the player becomes a pro bowler/all-pro doesn’t mean a front office couldn’t have screwed up that selection and Mayhew didn’t screw it up.

He also made good free agent signings like Reggie Bush, Grover Quinn, Golden Tate, Nate Burelson etc.

I mean the 11-5 2014 Lions team was more than just Megatron and Stafford that Mayhew put together:

QB: Stafford 

RB: Reggie Bush

WR1: Megatron

WR2: Golden Tate

TE: Brandon Pettirgrew/Eric Ebron

LT: Riley Reiff

LG: Rob Simms

C : Dominic Raiola

RG: Larry Worford

RT: Waddle

RDE: Ziggy Ansah

DT: Nick Fairley

NT: Nadimakong Suh

LDE: Jason Jones

MLB: Tahir Whitehead 

OLB: DeAndrey Leavy 

CB: Darius Slay

CB: Reshean Mathis

SS: James Igehdebo

FS: Grover Quinn

Mayhew also drafted Matt Stafford, maybe he’s able to swing a deal to get him here.

Also, if Mayhew can sign us some FA successes like Grocer Quinn was at FS, Golden Tate etc then we’ll have a few players to take us to the next level. He also had drafted Kyle Van Noy who became their starting SLB and won a Super Bowl in NE as a their starting SLB. Also, Mayhew signed LB Josh Bynes who eventually became a starter in Detroit.

I think with hiring Mayhew that our free agent signings will improve when I look at the work he’s did in Detroit and then in San Fran in that area.

Edited by turtle28

1 minute ago, turtle28 said:

Why not?

Mayhew could’ve drafted someone else who busted but Mayhew took the correct players and the coaching staff he hired in Schwartz & then Caldwell put those players in a place to be successful. They could’ve done what the raiders did & Drafted Jamarcus Russell over others. They could have drafted someone else and it not worked out like Matt Millen had done before him when he passed on guys like Aaron Rodgers & others.

Just bc it seems like the obvious decision after the player becomes a pro bowler/all-pro doesn’t mean a front office couldn’t have screwed up that selection and Mayhew didn’t screw it up.

He also made good free agent signings like Reggie Bush, Grover Quinn, Golden Tate, Nate Burelson etc.

I mean the 11-5 2014 Lions team was more than just Megatron and Stafford that Mayhew put together:

QB: Stafford 

RB: Reggie Bush

WR1: Megatron

WR2: Golden Tate

TE: Brandon Pettirgrew

LT: Riley Reiff

LG: Rob Simms

C : Dominic Raiola

RG: Larry Worford

RT: Waddle

RDE: Ziggy Ansah

DT: Nick Fairley

NT: Nadimakong Suh

LDE: Jason Jones

MLB: Tahir Whitehead 

OLB: DeAndrey Leavy 

CB: Darius Slay

CB: Reshean Mathis

SS: James Igehdebo

FS: Grover Quinn

Mayhew also drafted Matt Stafford, maybe he’s able to swing a deal to get him here.

Also, if Mayhew can sign us some FA successes like Grocer Quinn was at FS, Golden Tate etc then we’ll have a few players to take us to the next level. He also had drafted Kyle Van Noy who became their starting SLB and won a Super Bowl in NE as a their starting SLB. Also, Mayhew signed LB Josh Bynes who eventually became a starter in Detroit.

I think with hiring Mayhew that our free agent signings will improve when I look at the work he’s done in Detroit and San Fran in that area.

And they could get better in FA. But I just think Detroit had the tank it benefit to building that roster. And for them to be picking one or two every round is a serious advantage to drafting mid pack or at 19 this year. Mayhew isn’t a bad hire. But trading for Stafford will tell me they are no longer going to finish this build properly. You can’t trade high picks for injury prone players. I just think that’s a huge mistake as would trading for D Watson and that’s my guy. But there’s a system to success and it doesn’t involve trading multiple high picks for a player period. You cripple your draft hauls for multiple years and you get a aging player that has to try to learn the same way a rookie is almost. So take your chance in a loaded class of various types of QB’s double up and get one or two but don’t trade for a vet in a loaded class

1 hour ago, ripsean21 said:

And they could get better in FA. But I just think Detroit had the tank it benefit to building that roster. And for them to be picking one or two every round is a serious advantage to drafting mid pack or at 19 this year. Mayhew isn’t a bad hire. But trading for Stafford will tell me they are no longer going to finish this build properly. You can’t trade high picks for injury prone players. I just think that’s a huge mistake as would trading for D Watson and that’s my guy. But there’s a system to success and it doesn’t involve trading multiple high picks for a player period. You cripple your draft hauls for multiple years and you get a aging player that has to try to learn the same way a rookie is almost. So take your chance in a loaded class of various types of QB’s double up and get one or two but don’t trade for a vet in a loaded class

I’ll say it again, Mayhew put together a 10-6 & 11-5 w/in a four year period, Rivera coached/developed a 15-1 team that got to the Super Bowl. If those two can give us that in the next 5-10 years, we as Washington fans should be elated and if we can’t be pleased with that after not winning 11 games since 1991 we should just find another team to root for bc we’re never going to be satisfied.

As for trading for Stafford, it’s really hard to find a better option out there for this team. W/o trading Chase Young or Sweat, I don’t think we can get DeShaun Watson bc other teams have top 10 picks and we don’t.

If we trade for Stafford we’ll have a top 10 offense to go w/our top 5 D, imagine them two together this past year we would’ve won 10 or 11 games but honestly still probably lost to the Bucs bc our D didn’t play as great as they had been the previous 7 games.

If we trade for Stafford & have Rivera/Scotty Turner’s pet projects of Kyle Allen & Heinicke developing behind him, that’s not an awful position to be in QB wise.  We can always draft a QB in a few more drafts if we don’t believe Kyle or Taylor can be the back ups we need or develop into a starter after Stafford should we trade for him, but Rivera has been clear he likes those guys potential.

We don’t have many options to upgrade our QB position w/o trading for a vet like stafford. I don’t think that Dak will become a FA although I’d love it if we got him but I think Jerry will franchise him again if Dak won’t take their contract offer.

All I keep hearing from most of this forum is that we can’t waste the top 5 D we have & the only way to not waste that prime/window is to trade for a veteran bc of now where we pick in the draft.

Now, I disagree that we only have a short window w/ this D being top 5; I think we’ll have a top 5/10 D for as long as Chase is here & others can disagree but that’s what I believe but that’s an entirely different discussion.

Edited by turtle28

52 minutes ago, ripsean21 said:

My prediction?

Neither Stafford, nor Watson, are going anywhere. Both teams have head coach or GM vacancies, correct? No way they entice someone to come in and the first thing they tell them is "Oh yeah, BTW our QB situation is <screwed> now that we traded our QB away"

18 minutes ago, Thaiphoon said:

My prediction?

Neither Stafford, nor Watson, are going anywhere. Both teams have head coach or GM vacancies, correct? No way they entice someone to come in and the first thing they tell them is "Oh yeah, BTW our QB situation is <screwed> now that we traded our QB away"

On a rating of that being what happens, I’d say it’s 9 of 10 on the Thai truthmeter scale.

I think it’s very likely that our QBs next year will be Alex Smith, Kyle Allen & Taylor Heinicke.

People can not like that all they want, but I think it’s most likely.

Now, does that get us to double digit wins? I’d say not likely. With our defense most likely being top 5 again and Alex Smith at QB with Kyle Allen or Taylor Heinicke playing a few games that Alex may miss I think our ceiling is 9 Wins.

Edited by turtle28

11 minutes ago, Daboyle said:

I’m not super familiar with corporate structure and organization hierarchy. Executive VP of player personnel suggests to me that the intention was to make him Kyle Smith’s direct superior — is that what others are taking from this job title as well?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, e16bball said:

I’m not super familiar with corporate structure and organization hierarchy. Executive VP of player personnel suggests to me that the intention was to make him Kyle Smith’s direct superior — is that what others are taking from this job title as well?

Its possible.  Sometimes they just assign names and figure out their duties later though.

12 hours ago, ARTMONK HOF said:

I was trying to say productive or not if RR doesn’t like you, you’re done here. 

Dwayne wasn’t productive, if Dwayne was playing like a goos starter they wouldn’t have benched him but bc he was playing below average at and making the same mistakes over and over throwing late in the middle of the field and inaccurately like Kirk in 2014, Dwayne got benched. I didn’t agree with the Dwayne benching at the time but more bc I had no aspirations of winning the division this year & I wanted to see Dwayne start all 16 games no matter what. Ron had seen enough, Dwayne wasn’t the guy.

My guess is that Kyle & Ron didn’t agree on certain thins, Ron felt he couldn’t trust Kyle & he wanted his own people. That may be the correct decision or may end up being a horrible one, only time will tell.

On 1/22/2021 at 9:37 AM, ripsean21 said:

It depends on what they would trade for Stafford. If it’s one 1st and a mid round pick or a 2nd and a mid round pick I can live with that, I don’t think it will be more than that and that doesn’t kill our cap or the amount of picks we have, we’re talking about 2 draft picks at most.

And why are we blaming Mayhew for building the team the correct way in Detroit or helping build it the correct way in San Fran? 

It’s like people seriously don’t think about what they’re saying. Of course the best way to get better long term is to get one of the highest picks in the draft for 2 or 3 years, sign a few good FAs - which Mayhew did) and then if those players become good or great, them with a few good or great FA signings and hitting on some mid round/late round picks turns your team into what, a 10-6 & 11-5 team w/in a 4 year period?

Or a team that gets to a Super Bowl?

Why do we not want someone who’s done those 3 things before?

There’s never any guarantees Mayhew or anyone else he had hired had helped Rivera do it again and I wish they had just promoted Kyle Smith or made Kyle the Assistant GM w/ Marty Hurney being a senior consultant to Rivera but, it is what it is. 

Mayhew is not a bad hire, I don’t care what anyone says and, Hurney isn’t an awful one either. Hurney helped put Carolina in position to get the super bowl just 3 years after he was fired. Hurney helped draft Carolina’s 2015 teams  franchise QB, their All-Pro C, All-Pro MLB, their All-Pro CB, Pro Bowl OLB & Pro Bowl RB plus he traded for their pro bowl TE.

On said on ESPN, NFLN or maybe it was Chris Russell or JP Finlay that Hurney is not a personnel guy. He’s always done the contract side and Administration side, that’s what Bobby Bethard had him do when Marty was in DC & when he worked for Bethard in San Diego too.

Edited by turtle28
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, e16bball said:

From outside looking in, this is how I'm seeing it. 

• Like 2