Marty Hurney hired as WFT GM

A TRAIN 89

Five years from now as Kyle Smith builds some team into a winner “The Washington Whatever’s had Kyle Smith in the building and let him walk out the door” articles in the Post and other local sports outlets. You can see this coming from a mile away. It’s like watching them set the building on fire and you’re powerless to stop it. 

• Like 4

For once I just hope all the doom and gloom posters here are left wrong.

I understand the we always screw this up but we shall see I think it’s alittle early to just always assume we’re going to do the wrong things!!! While being blind to the past is just as crazy I just I think looking at things like they will always trip over themselves is just why even follow at that point? They could hire Kyle and honestly who knows I don’t know Ron but I’d have to think for a man who was in a building where his teams were so hit or miss in drafts from top to bottom I can’t see him being in a hurry to get rid of a guy who’s finding legit playmakers in the 7th for him. 

Edited by ripsean21
  • Like 2

23 hours ago, ripsean21 said:

For once I just hope all the doom and gloom posters here are left wrong.

I understand the we always screw this up but we shall see I think it’s alittle early to just always assume we’re going to do the wrong things!!! While being blind to the past is just as crazy I just I think looking at things like they will always trip over themselves is just why even follow at that point? They could hire Kyle and honestly who knows I don’t know Ron but I’d have to think for a man who was in a building where his teams were so hit or miss in drafts from top to bottom I can’t see him being in a hurry to get rid of a guy who’s finding legit playmakers in the 7th for him. 

I HOPE I'm wrong. But I'm with @lavar703 and @naptownskinsfan

We're gonna WFT this. I just know it.

Now, I agree with you that past performance is not a guarantor of future results.

But if I'm in Vegas at a Blackjack table and for 45 minutes, the dealer wins each hand. And for the past 20 hands the dealer has 4-drawed to a 21 to beat my 19's and 20's... I'm not going to expect to win on the next hand.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Thaiphoon said:

I HOPE I'm wrong. But I'm with @lavar703 and @naptownskinsfan

We're gonna WFT this. I just know it.

Now, I agree with you that past performance is not a guarantor of future results.

But if I'm in Vegas at a Blackjack table and for 45 minutes, the dealer wins each hand. And for the past 20 hands the dealer has 4-drawed to a 21 to beat my 19's and 20's... I'm not going to expect to win on the next hand.

Double down

• Like 2

3 hours ago, turtle28 said:

If it’s not going to be Kyle Smith, I’m hoping for Martin Mayhew. He made the Lions relevant at the early part of last decade, that’s saying something.

I'm on the fence. I don't care for his work with the Lions too much. But he seems to have improved slightly with his time with the 49ers.

2 hours ago, Thaiphoon said:

I'm on the fence. I don't care for his work with the Lions too much. But he seems to have improved slightly with his time with the 49ers.

Under Mayhew he built that team from 0-16 to a team that came w/in one play of winning a playoff game in 2014 when they went 11-5 and most people think the Lions got screwed on that call bc the refs picked it up vs the Cowboys. He hired Jim Schwartz who took the team to his playoffs. Then, he hired Jim Caldwell who was arguably the best HC the Lions have ever had. Back to back coaching hires were two of the best in Lions history.

Edited by turtle28

Well, what’s become obvious is that it’s not going to be Kyle Smith. And it’s becoming pretty clear that he is not long for this organization.

It was one thing when they were limiting themselves to “proven” GM candidates like Rick Smith and Martin Mayhew and Marty Hurney — guys who have experience running the show and could thus immediately step in and take a lot of the administrative burden off Rivera. It seems relatively likely to me that he’s motivating a lot of this, I’d wager he didn’t enjoy a lot of the day to day aspects of being the top executive. 

But now they’re expanding out to include a lot of guys who have been, and are currently still in, personnel director roles. These guys are basically Kyle Smith’s peers, and instead of promoting him, we’re looking to bring in one of them from outside the organization to be his boss. Which to me signals the beginning of the end for him here. Whether the new boss cuts him loose immediately to install his own guys in key positions or Kyle eventually decides to leave to seek a job without such a ceiling on him, I really can’t see a realistic way we keep him around for long at this point. 

• Like 1

A lot more negativity than I expected here. The truth is, fans have wanted a real GM for a long time and it looks like we’re getting one. By all accounts, Rivera has done an excellent job in year 1. He has earned the trust of the fans to build the football ops he feels can win.

Albeit not his fault, we haven’t been good in a long time so the loss of Kyle Smith should be overblown. The same sentiments came out when the team moved on from Eric Schaffer.