Marty Hurney hired as WFT GM

A TRAIN 89

I don’t see why Kyle still isn’t in it Ron is actually doing his due dilligence and interviewing candidates that aren’t just his buddies. Now would he actually hire them? IDK. But I think it’s encouraging that he’s interviewing as many candidates as possible. I think Kyle is very much still in this running. Interviewing other guys tells me that he’s not just going with his friend to go with his friend. Kyle should get the first interview and he should be the last interview. His player personnel decisions speak for themselves. 

34 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

And now we’re interviewing an internal candidate who’s not Kyle Smith lol. Well if the idea was to embarrass Kyle Smith I think we’ve certainly succeeded. 

Classic. Interview his subordinate for the job above him. 

Hopefully Kyle will stick it out until the draft at least, we’ve got a lot riding on these four day 1-2 picks.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, e16bball said:

Classic. Interview his subordinate for the job above him. 

Hopefully Kyle will stick it out until the draft at least, we’ve got a lot riding on these four day 1-2 picks.

Can’t say RR is not loyal to his old subordinates. Hopefully he’s not loyal to a fault. 

• Like 1

It’s not a surprise that they’re looking to hire someone who was in Carolina at one time who’s also done a good job for the Titans. I sure wish they’d give the job to Kyle Smith bc I think he’s earned it, but I can’t say I hate the idea of going with Ryan Cowden, I just like what Kyle has done for this franchise, especially the last 4 drafts.

16 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

It’s not a surprise that they’re looking to hire someone who was in Carolina at one time who’s also done a good job for the Titans. I sure wish they’d give the job to Kyle Smith bc I think he’s earned it, but I can’t say I hate the idea of going with Ryan Cowden, I just like what Kyle has done for this franchise, especially the last 4 drafts.

At this point the writing is on the wall.  They are hiring a pseudo GM from carolina.  The only question is, will they retain Kyle Smith.

I think Kyle will stay here through the draft — I’m sure they’re not even allowed to leave in the middle of the run-up to the draft. Certainly wouldn’t be permitted to join up with another team until after the draft, at the very least.

But I’d be gone after that. When they bring in some guy from outside the organization to be your new boss, and that guy is basically your peer/equal, that’s the sign that here is not the place for you. If they’re looking for a gifted young personnel director ready to move up to running an organization, but they pick somebody else’s instead of their own — that means you ain’t their huckleberry. Probably should’ve worked in Carolina, big mistake on your part. Might as well find somewhere without a ceiling on you. 

• Like 2

23 hours ago, ARTMONK HOF said:

Also a former Panther with Ron Rivera.  20 years of experience and the highest position he's held is Vice President of Player Personnel.  

We are not worthy of Kyle Smith it seems.  Something had to counterbalance the good that we had in regards to a division win, and this seems to be it.  This franchise just can not get out of it's own way.  This is Sean McVay all over again, just the front office version 

It just sucks. Like I said, I think this is going to be a Jay Gruden-Sean McVay situation all over again. If the owner had any balls at all he’d name Kyle Smith GM and let Rivera decide what he wants to do after the fact. This coach centric thing is ridiculous and most successful organizations don’t operate this way. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, e16bball said:

I think Kyle will stay here through the draft — I’m sure they’re not even allowed to leave in the middle of the run-up to the draft. Certainly wouldn’t be permitted to join up with another team until after the draft, at the very least.

But I’d be gone after that. When they bring in some guy from outside the organization to be your new boss, and that guy is basically your peer/equal, that’s the sign that here is not the place for you. If they’re looking for a gifted young personnel director ready to move up to running an organization, but they pick somebody else’s instead of their own — that means you ain’t their huckleberry. Probably should’ve worked in Carolina, big mistake on your part. Might as well find somewhere without a ceiling on you. 

Cowden isn't even gifted or young..........21 years in the NFL and his highest position is VP of Player Personnel.  

6 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

Cowden isn't even gifted or young..........21 years in the NFL and his highest position is VP of Player Personnel.  

This is no different than bringing in Scott Turner. We’re just hiring all of Rivera’s buddies and disguising it as a culture change.