Marty Hurney hired as WFT GM

A TRAIN 89

12 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

The more I read about this guy he sounds like a facilitator vs a hands on scouting GM.  If we fill out the rest of the FO with talented scouts we should be fine.  I'm sorry I'm not going to take a doom and gloom look on this, practically everything Rivera has done so far has worked out.  

If this were any other coach outside of Rivera you’d be pummeling this hire just like me. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

If this were any other coach outside of Rivera you’d be pummeling this hire just like me. 

I’ve noticed a change in MKnight’s posting. He doesn’t kill a lot of moves anymore before seeing what happens. Maybe that’s because of what Rivera has done is seemingly improving the entire organization in one calendar year during a pandemic and while battling cancer but I find myself agreeing with almost everything he posts now. We really never know if something will work out or not until years down the road.

I’ll Never forget how elated almost everyone was when Bruce Allen & Shanahan were hired and we saw how that went. So, it’s a wait and see for me.

Edited by turtle28

1 hour ago, MKnight82 said:

"Well I think the biggest thing is that it's a collaborative effort ... I've said this before, at the end of the day, we want to be able to agree with what we're going to do and how we're going to do it," Rivera said.  "We've gotta make sure that everybody is on the same page." 

This is my biggest issue.  You are bringing in the same people with the same points of view.  You need people who aren't on the same page to inject new ideas, different opinions and stir the pot.  It shouldn't be all cumbaya. 

Drafting Chase Young is easy.  Drafting the McClaurins and Ionnaidises is what really makes a team.

Anyways, could we have found an older guy who is closer to the end of his career?  Was that the goal?  If so we won!!!

By the way, I have yet to see such universal agreement from this group of fans on any subject.  That should tell you a lot.

Edited by offbyone
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

I think there’s a lot of respect for Rivera as a man, which is well deserved. He’s also proved to be pretty effective at getting the guys on the roster to buy in, moreso than we’ve seen in 15 years probably, so he’s seemed to nail that part of coaching. And they had a much better offseason than most of us (myself included) thought they did at the time. So he’s earned himself some credibility and leeway with me. 

That said, it’s not enough credibility to get me to defend this move. I think this decision was utterly predictable, and I think odds are that the results will be as well. But he’s done well enough so far that I’m not going to declare it dead and buried sight unseen — I’m going to give it some time to play out and see where it goes. I suspect that’s where @MKnight82 is on it as well, as I don’t think his posts have indicated that he likes the hiring of Hurney on its face, just that he’s going to give a little deference to Rivera instead of condemning it out of hand. 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

You've said something like this to me several times this year.  I'm not some Rivera cheerleader.  I had no opinion of him whatsoever before he came here.  His hire did immediately fix what IMO was the biggest problem with this organization.  We were run by morally corrupt self serving *******s that made us a laughing stock in the league.  The firing of Bruce Allen and installation of Rivera as the new head of the organization instantly gave us a new sense of respectability in the league.  AND THAT's A BIG DEAL.  In fact, it made it fun to root for this team again.  I can deal with losing, but when you're creeping out cheerleaders to season ticket holders and trying to smear the reputation of prior employees I had one foot out the door.  

Think of all of the stuff we've accomplished in just one year:

- We flipped the most corrupt snake of a GM to someone who appears to have a well respected moral compass. 

- Our Owner, who is arguably just as morally corrupt, seems to have been pushed out of the decision room.  In fact, he's been called out on his crap and is basically in hiding. 

- Coaching staff wise, I can't see how it can't be argued we improved across the board.  The Head Coach difference is night and day.  Jay seemed to always be in over his head, and seemed to want to party more with the players than actually help coach and improve them.  Our defensive staff was a joke and is now respectable.  Personally I was never on the KOC train, but Turner seems to be a lateral move at worst to me.  

- We finally changed our name.  Now despite what side anyone is on for the name, it has to be universally promising to not have to discuss the offensive nature of the name anymore.  Also having your white male billionaire owner tell minorities what they should/shouldn't be offended by is never a good look.  

The team by every measure is more respectable again.  I am no longer embarrassed to say I root for this team, and that is a big step forward.  I don't see how anybody could not be impressed and show optimism after this season, and we haven't had that for a long time.  And with all of that above, I didn't even mention how we had our first All Pro in 24 years, seemed to have acquired a defensive centerpiece in the draft, and won the division.  So yeah, I think we're going in the right direction.

• Like 1

Don't know how anyone can poo this hiring.

Rivera wanted someone he knows & trusts in Murney.

Rivera is obviously calling the shots.

Did you see the lists of players drafted under Murneys watch?

Cam Newton, Julius Peppers, Luke Kouekly, etc. Of the 10

7 were pro bowlers & 8 were all pro.

You guys been bitchin' about wanting a GM here for 25 years...(I don't count Bruce Allen)

Well, here ya go.

So forgive me if I don't join you guys in throwing bricks at Snyder's Yaht for this hire.

If anything, you guys should be elated for this hire.

He won't be at the midnight tavern drinking himself to death like Scott Mcglouhan, or extending his rap sheet of criminal investigations like Bienemy.

We just won the Division at 7-9 with Haskins as our QB here for several games.

To be able to do that, this team is capable of a Dynasty with that ****show out the door.

1 hour ago, MKnight82 said:

It would have been that way with Kyle Smith staying on as well.

Honestly its too early to judge this hiring.  We don't even know if Kyle Smith is leaving.  If Smith leaves, and we blow up the whole scouting department then ya it'll suck.  

Yes. This is what I was referring to.

As for judging the hiring? Meh.

As for Kyle leaving? He's gone. If I'm Kyle, I'm looking at the days left on my contract, reaching out to contacts to line up my next stop, and punching the eject button when the contract has terminated. 

And I know you didn't say it but I think it's wishful thinking by quite a few people on social media that he's gonna stay around for too long because of Hurney being hired to groom him. You don't hire Hurney to "Teach Kyle the ropes". GMs don't do that to teach their replacement so that they can be out of a job in afew years. They want to stay as GM for a very long time. It isn't like an old QB at the end of his career being brought in for a year or two to groom the rookie. 

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, offbyone said:

This is my biggest issue.  You are bringing in the same people with the same points of view.  You need people who aren't on the same page to inject new ideas, different opinions and stir the pot.  It shouldn't be all cumbaya. 

Drafting Chase Young is easy.  Drafting the McClaurins and Ionnaidises is what really makes a team.

Anyways, could we have found an older guy who is closer to the end of his career?  Was that the goal?  If so we won!!!

By the way, I have yet to see such universal agreement from this group of fans on any subject.  That should tell you a lot.

I'll go back to the Glory Days of this Franchise. Quite often the GM and Gibbs were at odds over a player, etc... I dunno. Seemed to work out well for them, huh?

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

You've said something like this to me several times this year.  I'm not some Rivera cheerleader.  I had no opinion of him whatsoever before he came here.  His hire did immediately fix what IMO was the biggest problem with this organization.  We were run by morally corrupt self serving *******s that made us a laughing stock in the league.  The firing of Bruce Allen and installation of Rivera as the new head of the organization instantly gave us a new sense of respectability in the league.  AND THAT's A BIG DEAL. 

Yes. It is. But I would argue that the firing of Allen and bringing anyone in that had any sort of moral compass would bring respectability. Also, please watch the cursing.

In fact, it made it fun to root for this team again.  I can deal with losing, but when you're creeping out cheerleaders to season ticket holders and trying to smear the reputation of prior employees I had one foot out the door.  

I'm with you on all of that until you got to the bolded. We still do that now.

- We flipped the most corrupt snake of a GM to someone who appears to have a well respected moral compass.

Congrats. Even a snake has a better moral compass than Allen. That's like saying "I'm the tallest of the seven dwarves". That being said, I do agree that his players raved about him as a coach. But that is as a coach. We're talking about handing over the entirety of an NFL franchise's football operations to him. Results are yet to be seen. 

- Our Owner, who is arguably just as morally corrupt, seems to have been pushed out of the decision room.  In fact, he's been called out on his crap and is basically in hiding. 

I've seen this movie before. That guy with the hockey mask keeps coming back though.

- Coaching staff wise, I can't see how it can't be argued we improved across the board.  The Head Coach difference is night and day.  Jay seemed to always be in over his head, and seemed to want to party more with the players than actually help coach and improve them.  Our defensive staff was a joke and is now respectable.  Personally I was never on the KOC train, but Turner seems to be a lateral move at worst to me.  

Here we agree. Rivera is a much better head coach than Jay will ever hope to be. But is he Sleepy? Or Bashful? Which one is taller? As for KOC and Turner? Results are still out on that for me. We'll see in year 2 if Turner can get the guys he needs to run his offense.

- We finally changed our name.  Now despite what side anyone is on for the name, it has to be universally promising to not have to discuss the offensive nature of the name anymore.  Also having your white male billionaire owner tell minorities what they should/shouldn't be offended by is never a good look.  

I know where you're going with this so I'm gonna allow it. But tread carefully here and stop with the discussion of race.

The team by every measure is more respectable again.  I am no longer embarrassed to say I root for this team, and that is a big step forward.  I don't see how anybody could not be impressed and show optimism after this season, and we haven't had that for a long time. 

We got rid of Allen. But he in essence got rid of himself with his record. And the scandals erupting will make anything look like it's better by comparison. (*)

And with all of that above, I didn't even mention how we had our first All Pro in 24 years,

Smith was part of that F.O. that got him. Also Scherff was drafted by a GM in a non-coach centric organization.

seemed to have acquired a defensive centerpiece in the draft,

Which we took because we had the #2 pick. It was a no-brainer. Hardly something Rivera did here.

and won the division. 

In a year where the division was a dumpster fire. It predictably cost us 9 spots in each round of the draft. One bright spot is maybe we found a backup QB. Yay?

This is what I was talking about when I said people would keep repeating "we won the division" as if we were in an actually tough division in 2020 and think it's automatically an indication that we're headed in the right direction. We've won divisions before in the last 20 years. Never has panned out the next season.

So yeah, I think we're going in the right direction.

Maybe. Too soon to tell. Let's see them run it back next year. Let's see the leaks stop. Let's see every vestige of the way the Redskins did business under Snyder stop. Until we do, I have 20+ years of experience to fall back on that tells me that this season is fool's gold and to not expect anything positive to result from it.

• Like 1