Future QB Discussion

G08

1 hour ago, WindyCity said:

I don’t think they are going to land a QB that helps immediately save their jobs.

They can be super desperate. But desperate isn’t an asset and their assets suck.

At the end of the day whoever they land at QB may not be able to save their jobs but they are surely going to try and swing higher than a mid round draft QB such as Kellen Mond... I think we can all agree that much.

They will not go into the 2021 season with Foles and a mid round rookie. That's just a recipe for disaster and they are asking to be fired

1 minute ago, topwop1 said:

At the end of the day whoever they land at QB may not be able to save their jobs but they are surely going to try and swing higher than a mid round draft QB such as Kellen Mond... I think we can all agree that much.

They will not go into the 2021 season with Foles and a mid round rookie. That's just a recipe for disaster and they are asking to be fired

I think they will try. I don’t think they are going to be successful.

How many QBs available do you actually think are a significant upgrade?

Deshaun

Dak

Fields

Wilson 

They have no show at any of those guys.

Lance

Maybe, but he is super and I mean super raw and will still need a trade up.

After that we are done with what I would call “significant” upgrades.

2 hours ago, dll2000 said:

Saggitariutt Jefferspin, Texas A&M
D’Glester Hardunkichud, University of Wisconsin
Swirvithan L’Goodling-Splatt, Saskatchewan University
Quatro Quatro, San Jose State University
Ozamataz Buckshank, Stanford University

Have stood out for me.

As they should have.  All excellent player that I truly feel are sleepers in this draft class.

On 1/28/2021 at 6:29 PM, Sugashane said:

There's nothing preventing them from doing it unless the franchise has a no trade claus. They franchise him then they own his rights.

I'm talking about the wording of the tag in the CBA. It hasn't been tested before, but the tag is SUPPOSED to be done in good faith.

That will get tested if Jones tries to sign and tag Prescott. I doubt he will do that, but it'd be cool to see Jerry slapped down by the league.

On 1/28/2021 at 7:52 PM, G08 said:

I've actually thought about signing Jameis Winston as our QB to compete with Nick Foles and using our draft picks to shore up the WR and OT spots. Maybe draft a Kellen Mond in round 4 if he drops there.

5sT0.gif

On 1/28/2021 at 7:53 PM, G08 said:

Would you trade #20 and #52, for #14 (Mac Jones) and #90?

Absolutely. Why not?

On 1/29/2021 at 12:38 PM, GOGRIESE said:

Where was that reported? 

I did a quick dig, and couldn't find it. The word was out that he wanted to play for Robert Saleh. 

On 1/29/2021 at 3:15 PM, G08 said:

Minshew makes sense... DeFilippo has worked with him and Nagy liked him in that draft class.

I like Minshew. Really, what is there not to like about Minshew? 

On 1/29/2021 at 4:57 PM, topwop1 said:

Minshew is not some savior

A lower rated prospect who ended up being a sixth round pick for a highly dysfunctional franchise...then actually produced when given a chance? This, after two seasons? 

He can't be called a savior, for sure, but I don't think anybody knows what he can become in the future. 

On 1/29/2021 at 9:03 PM, WindyCity said:

Just a warning, If our camp battle is Foles vs Jimmy G I am going to be flame throwing Pace the entire summer.

Just a promise...I will join you. 😁

On 1/31/2021 at 6:22 PM, Madmike90 said:

Also think given the fact we were in on him and Watson shows we do not want a rookie at that spot.

I think they'd rather it be a veteran, for sure. But that doesn't mean that's what we'll get...

On 2/1/2021 at 9:26 AM, topwop1 said:

I don't get people's fascination with Carr. He is nothing more than a Jimmy G/Kirk Cousins/Jared Goff type of QB. Average...

Carr is much better than any of those three. I don't think he's going to be traded, though. 

On 2/1/2021 at 10:33 AM, dll2000 said:

Texans can trade Jets Watson and pick up Darnold, Becton or Q. Williams, 2 and 23 and 2022 one.

The Jets would be crazy to make that trade. 

And they won't.

If the Texans demand that, the Jets will either stick with Darnold and trade with another team, or draft Fields or Wilson and trade Darnold for whatever they can get. 

Edited by Heinz D.

26 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

I think they will try. I don’t think they are going to be successful.

How many QBs available do you actually think are a significant upgrade?

Deshaun

Dak

Fields

Wilson 

They have no show at any of those guys.

Lance

Maybe, but he is super and I mean super raw and will still need a trade up.

After that we are done with what I would call “significant” upgrades.

I'm not saying the QB they end up acquiring will without a doubt be successful I'm saying that they will bring in some one with a little more clout than a mid round rookie like Mond.

Who that QB will be is anyone's guess ...but they are desperate and will make a move to get someone rated higher at the very least...that's if they go the rookie route..

Deshaun and Dak are extreme longshots but I disagree they have no shot at any of the rookies you mentioned...trade ups just as big as what the Bears would need to make in order to acquire one of those guys (Fields or Wilson) happen almost every other draft.

It most recently happened when Rams and Eagles both moved up for Goff and Wentz in 2016 and also when Chiefs and Texans moved up for Mahomes and Watson in 2017 so don't say it can't be done if the right offer is made and a team is willing to move down.

As for Lance I a have a feeling people will be surprised by where he goes and I think Bears will probably be able to take him at their pick if they stay put and really want him.

For one he didn't play at all in 2020 besides 1 game in which he wasn't impressive and he's only a 1 year starter that comes from a div II school. He carries a lot of risk and for that reason I think he's going to fall

Trades from 20 into the top 5 do not happen... like ever.

We really have no precedent for a team moving up that far. Most teams in the top 5 don’t want to move that far down.

Is there one example of a move from the 20s to the top 5?

The only one we have is the Rams and Goff from 15 to 1

32 minutes ago, topwop1 said:

For one he didn't play at all in 2020 besides 1 game in which he wasn't impressive and he's only a 1 year starter that comes from a div II school. He carries a lot of risk and for that reason I think he's going to fall

At this point, many of the prognosticators don't even think he's QB#4. So, hard to qualify a drop like that, slot-wise, as a real "fall". 

If Pace has anything to do with Lance (in the first round), he's an idiot. 

28 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

So...15 to 1 is possible, but 20 to 3 isn't

Interesting.

26 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

From 20 to 2-3 would be the largest trade up in draft history. It would be straight out of Draft Day.

Draft Day should have been such a good movie. It sucks that its ignorance of the NFL really crippled the plot. 

And...20 plus Jaylon Johnson, Cody Whitehair, and 2021 #1 would not at all be out of the question. Maybe (probably) more stuff, but that would be the heart of it. 

Just because teams rarely trade players doesn't mean it can't be done. 

27 minutes ago, Heinz D. said:

At this point, many of the prognosticators don't even think he's QB#4. So, hard to qualify a drop like that, slot-wise, as a real "fall". 

If Pace has anything to do with Lance (in the first round), he's an idiot. 

So...15 to 1 is possible, but 20 to 3 isn't

Interesting.

Draft Day should have been such a good movie. It sucks that its ignorance of the NFL really crippled the plot. 

And...20 plus Jaylon Johnson, Cody Whitehair, and 2021 #1 would not at all be out of the question. Maybe (probably) more stuff, but that would be the heart of it. 

Just because teams rarely trade players doesn't mean it can't be done. 

It means it is unlikely. We have one example fo a major trade up into the top 5 in the modern history of the draft.

That to me says it is not likely to happen.

1 minute ago, WindyCity said:

If Carr is moved and we miss out on him this could be a bleak offseason.

This is quickly turning into a seller's market.

Do you send two firsts for Derek freaking Carr? I sure as hell don't.

Two seconds? Sign me up.

13 minutes ago, G08 said:

This is quickly turning into a seller's market.

Do you send two firsts for Derek freaking Carr? I sure as hell don't.

Two seconds? Sign me up.

I really don't see the Raiders trading him. That would set back all the progress they've made the last two years...

2 hours ago, WindyCity said:

Trades from 20 into the top 5 do not happen... like ever.

We really have no precedent for a team moving up that far. Most teams in the top 5 don’t want to move that far down.

Ok what about a trade to #6 or 7 then lol? It doesn't have to be a trade up to picks 2 through 5.

One of Fields or Wilson could very well be there at 6 or 7 and Philly and Detroit could very well want to trade out of those spots

You're underestimating the power of Pace desperation

Edited by topwop1