Future QB Discussion

G08

On 2/1/2021 at 7:35 AM, topwop1 said:

Ya I'm also missing the part where he will lose $30M in sitting out when his base salary for 2021 is only 10.5M.....????

Just my opinion but when a high profile player wants out as bad as Watson does then more often than not he gets traded.

Plus I don't think money is really the issue for him right now and whatever he loses from potentially sitting out will be made back at some point.

Plus I doubt the Texans are going to want to set an example of punishing their star QB like and creating more bad PR for the franchise when they already look like the bad guys.

This is true and I agree with you, but I don't see Watson sitting out either. They will trade him if he's THAT unhappy, imo.

On 2/1/2021 at 9:40 AM, dll2000 said:

Seems all Bear fans and bloggers begging for Cam Newton or Bridgewater last year could have either one for nothing this year, but you aren’t hearing much of that at moment.

Those fans and bloggers clearly hadn't watched either of their careers up to that point either.  

Cam is not only damaged goods because of the beating he has taken over the years due to his play-style, but has also seemed to be content and NEVER tried to elevate his game.  

Bridgewater. Make all the excuses you want, but he is what he is. A back-up level QB. And he was that way before he went to the Saints and it wasn't just the injuries either.  Those same fans were seeing him play in a favorable system in New Orleans where he was surrounded by a good OC and a plethora of skill players that helped mask his flaws.  

On 2/1/2021 at 10:26 AM, topwop1 said:

I don't get people's fascination with Carr. He is nothing more than a Jimmy G/Kirk Cousins/Jared Goff type of QB. Average...

I'd rather the team give up a future first in a trade up for a rookie than to trade a 1st away for Carr. He won't be worth it IMO

Jimmy G doesn't belong in the same conversation as Carr, Cousins and Goff. 

Goff and Carr are better than Cousins IMO. Not a large margin but a significant one. 

• Like 2

Why are people talking about Carr? He isn't going anywhere. He's one of the most underrated QBs in the league. 

Pace made a move to go after Watson and Stafford but they haven't work out.  The Bears are on the outside looking in when it comes to QBs this year but alot can happen in the next 2 months. 

36 minutes ago, JAF-N72EX said:

Why are people talking about Carr? He isn't going anywhere. He's one of the most underrated QBs in the league. 

Pace made a move to go after Watson and Stafford but they haven't work out.  The Bears are on the outside looking in when it comes to QBs this year but alot can happen in the next 2 months. 

The current "rumors" (I'm using that term loosely because the origin of them could very well be fans' wishful thinking) are that we can't get Watson, so we're working out a trade with Vegas, who will trade us Carr in exchange for a first rounder (and something else, the something else varies), and then uses that capital to trade for Watson with their already existing first rounderS (the price being ~4x 1s).

That's why people are talking about Carr.

That said, @ thread in general.... I don't really want Carr, and I'm less and less interested in Watson.  Carr has way more talent around him in vegas than he'll ever hope to have in chicago and can't even come close to getting it done. I fail to see how that's any better than we already had in Trubisky.  As for Watson, he's good, but imo he isn't good enough to drop 4x 1s on... and I'd be pretty reluctant to even drop 3x 1s on him..... This whole situation with him honestly rubs me the wrong way.  It's fine to be mad at a dysfunctional trainwreck of an organization, but this whole thing allegedly started because he wasn't included in the GM and HC hiring decisions as a player.... which isn't his job.... I'd add, Texas had him, and still sucked consistently.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, G08 said:

In Matt Nagy's offense? No, I do not. 

If we get Watson we could but otherwise I agree. lol

If Watson isn't available then we need to go after a rookie and try to get talent around him. Carr isn't doing anything under Nagy and is pretty much a guarantee that we lose ARob too. I'm fine with a rookie fighting Foles for the spot because if he can't beat out Foles then he really needs to sit out anyway. Our OTs are expensive liabilities, correct them and we will see an improvement in the run and pass game at least.

6 hours ago, JAF-N72EX said:

Those fans and bloggers clearly hadn't watched either of their careers up to that point either.  

Cam is not only damaged goods because of the beating he has taken over the years due to his play-style, but has also seemed to be content and NEVER tried to elevate his game.  

Bridgewater. Make all the excuses you want, but he is what he is. A back-up level QB. And he was that way before he went to the Saints and it wasn't just the injuries either.  Those same fans were seeing him play in a favorable system in New Orleans where he was surrounded by a good OC and a plethora of skill players that helped mask his flaws.  

Goff and Carr are better than Cousins IMO. Not a large margin but a significant one. 

Meh these guys are all the same to me. Can win games if surrounded with the right pieces and play within the system but nothing really special about them and not significant enough upgrades..

I know its easier said than done but we need a QB that can make plays from nothing and who has special qualities that people gravitate towards. Until then everyone else is just bleh

The only guys that may be available to us this offseason who I believe to already have or may have those qualities are Watson, Justin Fields and Zach Wilson. Anyone less than one of those guys will be hard for me to get too excited for..as unrealistic as it may be I'm just being honest 

Edited by topwop1

1 hour ago, BP42 said:

Nobody shoot me, I’m just saying but what if Mitch is truly the best option for the upcoming season. Is that too hard to believe? 

Only if Nagy commits to a Shanahan/Kubiak scheme, which he won't. 

8 hours ago, JAF-N72EX said:

One of the Raiders beat guys has said that they are entertaining trade talks for him.

Now, I do not know if those are tied to also making a move for Watson, but this is the 2nd offseason where they have been listening to teams.

2 hours ago, BP42 said:

Nobody shoot me, I’m just saying but what if Mitch is truly the best option for the upcoming season. Is that too hard to believe? 

No. His inability to even threaten deep makes him a non-starter. You cannot run the smoke and mirrors check down offense against non bad defenses.

3 hours ago, BP42 said:

Probably true.   But he may have lost faith in coaches and they in him.  But they can act like professionals and gut it out.  

Mitch is not good, but he isn't horrible and isn't worse than a lot of 2nd tier options in addition to some giant trade package that hurts you further.

My opinion is you just play with whoever for a year and you sit this one out.   Too many people in the game driving up QB prices to unreasonable levels.   

Or wait and see how every thing shakes out and maybe you get some unforeseen bargain before season starts.

Let everyone else commit to some QB and you will have more options after next season via draft, trade or free agency.

59 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

No. His inability to even threaten deep makes him a non-starter. You cannot run the smoke and mirrors check down offense against non bad defenses.

This presupposes we are in a position to get a QB of future this year.   And if you can do that said QB can make you a contender this year.

I think neither are likely true.  Its outside possible as we have seen stranger things in NFL, but highly, highly unlikely.

I fear all we are going to end up doing is spending valuable resources on a stop gap and hamstringing the team from resetting with a FA or college QB in 2022.  

9 hours ago, JAF-N72EX said:

I agree with you about Cam.    IMO, he may be most talented QB to ever play the game too.   Just shows how much more there is to that position than ability.

Cam could probably play any position in the game in addition to QB except interior line and he could probably do that too if he changed his body.    Brady on other hand could only play QB and he is goat (though Mahomes may take that from him). 

It's an interesting contrast.  Brady also probably never gets a shot to even play on vast majority of teams.   Also interesting.

Both person and situation and opportunities and opportune timing all matter so much.   'Outliers' is an interesting book that explores that topic.  

11 hours ago, CBears019 said:

Did you choose the guys with the craziest names, or did i just have a stroke?  Anyone else smell toast?

LOL.  Google it.  

key and peele some really good sketch comedy, not just the famous ones everyone knows like A-aron.

• Like 2