Urban's Coaching Staff - News & Notes

.Buzz

4 minutes ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

I'm not going to pretend I know alot about the 3-4...what are the benefits/downsides of it and how do our top personnel in the front 7 adapt to it?

No team plays massively in base. 

Chaisson benefits hugely.  Allen was an olb in college. 

Hamilton fits as a nt. 

But in general our dl is subpar.

1 benefit is the opposition doesn't know where the 4th rusher is coming from(it really helps having 2 olbs that can rush and cover and I feel both our olb can.)

1 minute ago, LinderFournette said:

No team plays massively in base. 

Chaisson benefits hugely.  Allen was an olb in college. 

Hamilton fits as a nt. 

But in general our dl is subpar.

1 benefit is the opposition doesn't know where the 4th rusher is coming from(it really helps having 2 olbs that can rush and cover and I feel both our olb can.)

its subpar in 4-3 as well

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

I'm not going to pretend I know alot about the 3-4...what are the benefits/downsides of it and how do our top personnel in the front 7 adapt to it?

Here, let coach tell you when a 3-4 makes the most sense.

On 2/3/2021 at 5:43 PM, KhanYouDigIt said:

Agreed. I think Allen and Chaisson would benefit the most from 3-4 looks.

Yeah.  Exactly.  Our Interior DLine is mostly terrible and needs rebuilding, whichever way you decide to go as a base.  So putting our two "premium pick" edge rushers in a great situational fit like that, is a great way to go.

The only real question is, like @.Buzz suggested on the previous page, maybe Myles Jack isn't as natural a fit.  But honestly, i don't think it should be that difficult to find a role that still lets him run around and play in space a bit.  We might need a different LBer to play beside him on the inside, but whatever.

Ultimately, our defense needs a massive overhaul no matter what.  Might as well make the switch early in the process right from the start, and know what you're trying to build toward.

On 2/8/2021 at 3:41 AM, Tugboat said:

Yeah.  Exactly.  Our Interior DLine is mostly terrible and needs rebuilding, whichever way you decide to go as a base.  So putting our two "premium pick" edge rushers in a great situational fit like that, is a great way to go.

The only real question is, like @.Buzz suggested on the previous page, maybe Myles Jack isn't as natural a fit.  But honestly, i don't think it should be that difficult to find a role that still lets him run around and play in space a bit.  We might need a different LBer to play beside him on the inside, but whatever.

Ultimately, our defense needs a massive overhaul no matter what.  Might as well make the switch early in the process right from the start, and know what you're trying to build toward.

If lavonte david can be 3-4 ilb then so can jack. Schobert is fine but I think if we could have more speed it would be appreciated. 

Most defenses aren't in base anyways so.   

I'm not saying madden is right or wrong but they have the ravens 3-4 utilizing  pass cover guys at ilb

33 minutes ago, LinderFournette said:

If lavonte david can be 3-4 ilb then so can jack. 

Lavonte David is really good at shedding blocks and keeping himself clean. Jack is not, and is decidedly someone who needs to be behind someone else that’s taking on a block and flowing the ball carrier to him. 

1 hour ago, pwny said:

Lavonte David is really good at shedding blocks and keeping himself clean. Jack is not, and is decidedly someone who needs to be behind someone else that’s taking on a block and flowing the ball carrier to him. 

Devin whites not all that good shedding blocks.

Like I said how often are teams in base?

Here's the latest breakdown of defense groupings. It was done prior this season.

https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stat-analysis/2020/defensive-personnel-analysis-2019

Base: 26.7

Nickel: 55.9

Dime(over 5 DBs): 16

Goalline(anything less then 4 secondary): 0.8

Big(4-4 3-5 ect...): 0.6

All we need is a couple guys to tie some guys to keep jack clean.