What’s your offer for Deshaun Watson?

broncosfan_101

14 hours ago, jsthomp2007 said:

Watson has a no trade clause in his contract.  If he wants to be in Denver, and not NYC or Miami, then he can certainly push the envelope towards Denver.  And, I keep reading he wants to be in Denver it seems like.  I am not sure how much Keenan Jackson is pushing for it, but I am sure the conversation is the budding offense of line in Denver, and the plethora of offensive weapons he would have.  

Do you really mean what you say? Watson has a close of no trade but the last word goes to Houston. If they don't want to lose face they can let him sit on the bench all season. Unless at that moment Watson understands that his best interest is to go where Houston asks him.
Plus you include Lock as you throw it away. Why would Houston want him when they can aim for Miami and pick 3 to have the QB of their choice?
Any sense.
Roll on the end of this saga.

21 hours ago, broncosfan_101 said:

Matt Miller did a ‘what would it take?’ for all potentially interested teams, and he had DEN’s package as 2021 1st and 2nd, 2022 1st, 2023 2nd, Lock, and Hamler. 

Sign me up without thinking twice.

I'd even throw in an extra first and second if they only wanted those two players - just to be sure.

16 hours ago, paul-mac said:

Some if you guys are really overrating Deshaun Watson. He’s not an elite QB in the same way as Brady or Rodgers. 

And yet, he's a better long-term option than either of those guys. He's 25 years old with a proven track record of success. A proven commodity that's as good as Watson at the QB position simply does not come available often. We need a QB. Period. End of story. We aren't going to do anything in our division without one. Deshaun Watson is a better option than Drew Lock, or trading for any QB in this draft (aside from Lawrence)

This isn't happening unless Watson decides that he doesn't like the AFC East teams. I like him, and I would like to acquire him but one, this isn't under his total control. Two, those two teams have WAY more to offer with their draft positioning and the respective Adams and Tunsil trades they made.

I read other discussion boards and their hopes are climbing too high.

1 hour ago, Calamity_Cometh said:

This isn't happening unless Watson decides that he doesn't like the AFC East teams. I like him, and I would like to acquire him but one, this isn't under his total control. Two, those two teams have WAY more to offer with their draft positioning and the respective Adams and Tunsil trades they made.

I read other discussion boards and their hopes are climbing too high.

We're definitely behind NYJ & MIA, but apparently NYJ isn't on his list.   The fact NYJ, MIA, DEN & CAR made the initial list - it's no coincidence those are the 4 teams with the highest draft capital.  Subsequent reports only have DEN & SF on the list for now, and NYJ is off Watson's camp list.    It's now becoming apparent that initial 4-team list was probably leaked by the Texans.  

MIA & CAR are the wild cards, still unconfirmed on their status.  But it's fair to say our chances are a lot better than 1 month ago.    It's fair to say Watson doesn't control this completely - but if NYJ is out of the running, that puts us in very clear contention (MIA being the 1 team that can clearly outbid anyone).

Side note - if CAR doesn't get Watson, it's pretty clear they'll likely just move up and get a Rd1 rookie.  They put up the highest offer for Stafford (only for DET to take LAR's 2 future 1sts & Goff, and apparently send Stafford to his preferred location).   They'd put up a huge offer for Watson - if Watson would agree to go there.  It's pretty clear CAR isn't leaving the offseason without a massive QB upgrade over Teddy B (who could be the caretaker for a Lance-type pick, too).

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, broncos67 said:

And yet, he's a better long-term option than either of those guys. He's 25 years old with a proven track record of success. A proven commodity that's as good as Watson at the QB position simply does not come available often. We need a QB. Period. End of story. We aren't going to do anything in our division without one. Deshaun Watson is a better option than Drew Lock, or trading for any QB in this draft (aside from Lawrence)

And both advanced metrics and the eye test put him as a top 5-6 QB.   He worked with a bottom 10 OL in both run blocking and pass protection, the 32nd run game by DVOA, no Nuk Hopkins, missed half a season of Will Fuller with injuries / suspension - and still put up the 5th ranked season by DVOA & DYAR.   And the game film pops out how much he did on his own.  As for the 4-12 record - that's what happens when you have the 30th ranked D, and awful coaching.   The 2019 playoff team was 24th in D, bottom 10 in OL play and 17th in run game - again, Watson's play carried that team.

And lest we forget - he's the sole reason why they won their playoff game vs. BUF, and had KC down 24-0 2 years ago.  He's overcome awful, Anthony-Lynn level coaching with BOB to get there.    That's a 1-win team without him (can never say 0 lol).    

If anything, people are undervaluing how good Watson is now.  The one valid criticism is that he holds on to the ball too much trying to make the hero play, and he puts himself in harm's way.  But honestly, that's about it.   And you put him with our OL, it's a massive upgrade, and our weapons, same deal.   And the risk of having to make him put himself in harm's way goes down...significantly.

Again, the problem with QB isn't just that we don't have one we feel good about long-term - to hang in the AFC West, you need to face Mahomes and now Herbert 4x a year.   Getting a Baker Mayfield / Derek Carr level guy isn't hanging with those guys.  That's why LV was making noise of trying to involve Carr in a Watson scenario.  That's no coincidence.    It also makes trading up to get a rookie a tougher proposition (one I'm not against in a vacuum, but compared to spending up to get Watson, at age 25 and his level of performance and contract certainty pre-TV deal, Watson side I take..by a lot).

I was all-in on Stafford for 1.9, because he offered the certainty of top 10 performance, and the ceiling of being a top 6-7 guy (and came at a bargain 2/43M for 2021-2).    But it also came with the idea he'd have to be that way for 4-5 years to make it worthwhile.   Watson already provides that ceiling right now, and he's 25.  And again, that 5/146.5 deal is going to be below-market for a top 10 QB as soon as 2022-23 (and even more so for a top 5-6 guy).   Sign me up if it's 2 firsts, 2 seconds and Lock/Chubb (or Hamler).   It's more of a question IMO of whether it's the winning bid.

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, jolly red giant said:

Maybe not - but the Broncos will be a contender for the next ten years with him on the roster.

Like the 4-12 Texans were this year? 

Someone will give up the farm to get Watson but in doing so have no ability surround him with young, cheap talent. Said team will get Star Wars numbers and disappointing W-L records. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

Someone will give up the farm to get Watson but in doing so have no ability surround him with young, cheap talent. Said team will get Star Wars numbers and disappointing W-L records. 

Oh come on man. Ridiculous assessment. That team was poorly coached, has no OL, few healthy weapons. Interesting you focused on this season (filled with issues) and not the previous season where he won a playoff game, and played outstanding against the Chiefs. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, broncos67 said:

Oh come on man. Ridiculous assessment. That team was poorly coached, has no OL, few healthy weapons. Interesting you focused on this season (filled with issues) and not the previous season where he won a playoff game, and played outstanding against the Chiefs. 

Look, I’m not saying Watson is not a great QB but even great QBs need supporting casts.

I don’t think we’re well-coached team right now, do you? We have a HC who is a good DC and a good OL coach. That’s about all. 

But we’d have to give up at least 2 good young players and a crap ton of premium picks to get Watson, I say no. 

1 hour ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

30 minutes ago, broncos67 said:

HOU had the 30th ranked D, a bottom 10 OL, and the 32nd based running game.

They had Fuller miss half the season.   They have no TE's.   

Again, they're probably the worst team in the league without Watson, and it's not that close.   

And to expand on @broncos67 's point, in 2019 - HOU had a bottom 10 D, bottom 10 OL, a run game that's bottom half.  And Watson's play took them to the playoffs.

For 2021-2, it's going to be harder with the pick capital being discussed.   But after then, the window goes wide open again.  And for 2021, his contract is 10.5M cap-wise, and we have a 4th place schedule.

Our 4th place schedule and average QB play, we likely go 8-8 in 2021 (9-8 with DET being game #17).   A top 6 QB, we could easily go 11-6 or better.     We get JAX & NYJ & DET (if we go 17 games) as our 3 at-large teams, and NFC East, and AFCN.   With LAC/LV still in flux, with this schedule this isn't a bold statement at all.    And once we're past 2022, and our pick capital is back - Watson's still only 27 years old, with 6-8 years of prime play, if not longer, on the horizon.   

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 1