2021 Free Agents - Current Lions and possible future Lions

Karnage84

• 3 weeks later...

https://www.prideofdetroit.com/2021/5/25/22453729/espn-writer-predicts-detroit-lions-sign-trai-turner

Turner is coming off a down year that was marred by injuries, but prior to 2020, he made five straight Pro Bowls. A one-year, $4.5 million is a fairly low-risk move for the Lions, considering the Lions have over $21 million in cap space, more than all but three teams right now.

Wouldn't hate it. Lions do have a lot of cap space to use.

Edited by SimbaWho

https://www.mlive.com/lions/2021/05/detroit-lions-talk-over-trade-rumors-with-tyrell-crosby.html

That’s a lot of money for a backup player, especially one who would almost certainly explore his options once he hits free agency with two first-round picks in front of him in Detroit. So getting something in return for him now -- when they’re not ready to be competitive anyway -- rather than losing him for nothing in the future makes a lot of sense if the Lions can find a suitor.

I don't care about the money, I really don't wanna hear it when there is 21 million in cap space, but the last part is true. He could walk next year for nothing. In my world I keep him around anyways, but idk how people feel about trade Crosby.

I'm personally not a big fan. I love having good Olinemen/depth.

3 hours ago, SimbaWho said:

https://www.mlive.com/lions/2021/05/detroit-lions-talk-over-trade-rumors-with-tyrell-crosby.html

I don't care about the money, I really don't wanna hear it when there is 21 million in cap space, but the last part is true. He could walk next year for nothing. In my world I keep him around anyways, but idk how people feel about trade Crosby.

I'm personally not a big fan. I love having good Olinemen/depth.

If we find a trade that benefits both us and Crosby, I'm all for it. I think he deserves a chance to compete for a spot somewhere and that's not here. But he's valuable depth at both tackle positions and I'm not tossing him aside for a late rd pick. No KVN type deals. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, SimbaWho said:

Unless the Lions see Turner as an upgrade over Vaitai, I see no reason to spend money just because they have it. Salary cap space can be rolled over into next season when he'll have more roster turnover. That money could be much more valuable then than spending it now just because it's available. 

13 hours ago, Louis Friend said:

If we find a trade that benefits both us and Crosby, I'm all for it. I think he deserves a chance to compete for a spot somewhere and that's not here. But he's valuable depth at both tackle positions and I'm not tossing him aside for a late rd pick. No KVN type deals. 

I would probably take anything for him in a trade TBH.  I typically am all for depth but we likely aren't competing this year anyways and he will price himself out of backup swing tackle in free agency most likely.  If they can work out an extension in the 1-3M a year range now, then do it.  If he wants any more than that, trade him for a pick and draft a new swing tackle next year.  

13 hours ago, Louis Friend said:

Unless the Lions see Turner as an upgrade over Vaitai, I see no reason to spend money just because they have it. Salary cap space can be rolled over into next season when he'll have more roster turnover. That money could be much more valuable then than spending it now just because it's available. 

Turner had a rough year last year but so did Vaitai.  They need a RG and having competition isn't a bad thing.  Turner would likely be pretty cheap to bring in and IMO would be a smarter use of dollars than keeping Nick Williams on the roster as Turner is young enough to have some future value and likely cheaper than Vaitai after next year.  I wouldn't be overly excited about the move but I think it would be a solid move to bring him in and at least get a look on a low risk, not much guaranteed type deal. 

10 hours ago, nagahide13 said:

Joel Heath tore his ACL in practice today. I don't know who he is and we have a ton of depth at DT. Still, sucks for him.

He was a DT from Michigan State.  Never thought he would be an NFL player anyways, but yes this in unfortunate for a fringe NFL guy like himself.  

32 minutes ago, NVRamsFan said:

I'm not sure we have room for him but seems someone must think we do if they are bringing him in.  I know he knows Holmes and Goff but not sure he would be anything more than a #3/4 RB on this team.  I'd rather Swift get a chance and Williams seems like a solid backup.  It's crazy how quickly Gurley's career turned for the worse given he is still just 28.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sllim Pickens said:

I'm not sure we have room for him but seems someone must think we do if they are bringing him in.  I know he knows Holmes and Goff but not sure he would be anything more than a #3/4 RB on this team.  I'd rather Swift get a chance and Williams seems like a solid backup.  It's crazy how quickly Gurley's career turned for the worse given he is still just 28.  

You'd have to think with his knees at this point in time he's little more than a veteran 3rd or 4th back. Problem is those guys usually play special teams and I seriously doubt he can do that or hold up long doing it. Not even sure he has any past ties to Lynn so yeah have to think he's just a vet minimum depth at this point in the career. Good guy though, still does community work in the LA area to this day. 

5 hours ago, Sllim Pickens said:

totally agree!  He just seems like a body at this point in his short career..Btw he is 26 turning 27 in August 

7 hours ago, Sllim Pickens said:

I feel like we just released a guy due to his durability concerns. Now we're looking at Gurley?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Nnivolcm said:

I feel like we just released a guy due to his durability concerns. Now we're looking at Gurley?

I think it could be more of a favor to him (Holmes connection) than needing him. I think Swift/Williams are locked in as 1/2. But we have guys fighting for   3/4.