2021 Free Agents - Current Lions and possible future Lions

Karnage84

1 hour ago, Sllim Pickens said:

What have those guys done to deserve that?  Penisini is a 6th round pick that was forced to play more than he should have been.  He had a horrible PFF grade (41.1) and has zero pass rush ability.  Hand can't stay healthy and is due a new contract soon. Atkins and Strong could barely make the active roster last year.  None of these guys are high potential big jump in the second year type guys.  Maybe one develops but if they do, great then we have three DTs we can rotate. DT is still one of our biggest weaknesses IMO and that list of guys should have no impact on adding another player at the position. 

Now I am not saying Reed is the answer, but we need more there than what we have because that group is doo doo. 

dont forget they can rush trey flowers from 3 tech...that is huge...with hand rotating on inside and out. I agree I think we are set. No more trades for DT. maybe one in the draft that has ability to get to the QB. and I wouldnt judge that "rookie" "forced" to play based on PFF lmaoooooooo. and teams always have guys that are on the fringe of being on team....thats every team in NFL...Lions are set up to get whoever they want now. Dont HAVE to have a DT...or a even LB..even WR...all were at rock bottom a few weeks ago.

DT Brockers, Hand, Penisini, Rookie/Cornell

DE ROkwara. JOkwara, Trey Flowers, Charles Harris 

OLB Anzalone, Reeves-Maybin

MLB Tavai ???

LOLB Collins, Hamilton 

CB Okudah Omwari Ford or however you spell it lol 

S Walker / Harris

WE NEED A SAFETY/LEADER

12 minutes ago, NFL_Fan said:

dont forget they can rush trey flowers from 3 tech...that is huge...with hand rotating on inside and out. I agree I think we are set. No more trades for DT. maybe one in the draft that has ability to get to the QB. and I wouldnt judge that "rookie" "forced" to play based on PFF lmaoooooooo. and teams always have guys that are on the fringe of being on team....thats every team in NFL...Lions are set up to get whoever they want now. Dont HAVE to have a DT...or a even LB..even WR...all were at rock bottom a few weeks ago.

MLB Tavai ???

LOLB Collins, Hamilton 

S Walker / Harris

WE NEED A SAFETY/LEADER

Flowers is 265 lbs.  He might be able to play some passing downs as a 3 tech but he is a DE.  

And yes I am not only using PFF, Penisini played because we had no talent at DT.  He was ok, but nothing to prevent you from going out and getting another.  And although PFF has its faults, a score that bad likely means there is some truth to lackluster play.  We had the worst D in Lions history and Penisini was just an ok part of that.  We still dramatically need help on the interior, and at LB if we want improvement.  If we want to keep being the worst D in the histroy of the team, then sure, lets trust our fringe roster players to be starters. 

We have done a good job filling gaping holes with decent players, but Anzalone is on a one year deal, Tavai is trash, we still could use another starting nickel CB and a starting safety.  So yes we can go anywhere in the draft but its not because we are set at any position.  There is not a position on the defense that I would call set at this point and DT is probably the worst of them all. 

1 minute ago, Sllim Pickens said:

Flowers is 265 lbs.  He might be able to play some passing downs as a 3 tech but he is a DE.  

And yes I am not only using PFF, Penisini played because we had no talent at DT.  He was ok, but nothing to prevent you from going out and getting another.  And although PFF has its faults, a score that bad likely means there is some truth to lackluster play.  We had the worst D in Lions history and Penisini was just an ok part of that.  We still dramatically need help on the interior, and at LB if we want improvement.  If we want to keep being the worst D in the histroy of the team, then sure, lets trust our fringe roster players to be starters. 

We have done a good job filling gaping holes with decent players, but Anzalone is on a one year deal, Tavai is trash, we still could use another starting nickel CB and a starting safety.  So yes we can go anywhere in the draft but its not because we are set at any position.  There is not a position on the defense that I would call set at this point and DT is probably the worst of them all. 

lol i see you are personally heated relax a little. I never once said any position on this team is set. Yes Flowers can rush from 3tech on 3rd downs. So why are we replacing Pensini? cause he had a rookie year learning with terrible coaching staff that gave up???? lolll ok. It is very very easy to just criticize...I never see you post good ideas on what they should do. Trading for another DT for another big contract...is not only stupid but will hurt the team longterm...

4 minutes ago, NFL_Fan said:

lol i see you are personally heated relax a little. I never once said any position on this team is set. Yes Flowers can rush from 3tech on 3rd downs. So why are we replacing Pensini? cause he had a rookie year learning with terrible coaching staff that gave up???? lolll ok. It is very very easy to just criticize...I never see you post good ideas on what they should do. Trading for another DT for another big contract...is not only stupid but will hurt the team longterm...

Better question, why are we not replacing Penisini?  He had a rookie year that was on the verge of awful, was a late round prospect not expected to have a high ceiling, and he produced about what you would expect a 6th/7th rounder pushed into snaps to play.  There is no reason to believe he will be a valuable starter next year based on what we saw.  Same with the rest of the bunch, so why would we not replace/upgrade them?  Penisini is a rotational run down type DT.  Its good to have on the roster but you don't build around him or not improve the position because of him.  

And if you don't think I post solutions, you should read more.  I even said I don't know if Reed is the answer but we need something at the position.  Another free agent to compete but preferably a rookie or two like Nixon, Alim McNeil, Marvin Wilson, Toagai, Shelvin, etc. All of which have more upside than Penisini.

7 minutes ago, Sllim Pickens said:

Better question, why are we not replacing Penisini?  He had a rookie year that was on the verge of awful, was a late round prospect not expected to have a high ceiling, and he produced about what you would expect a 6th/7th rounder pushed into snaps to play.  There is no reason to believe he will be a valuable starter next year based on what we saw.  Same with the rest of the bunch, so why would we not replace/upgrade them?  Penisini is a rotational run down type DT.  Its good to have on the roster but you don't build around him or not improve the position because of him.  

And if you don't think I post solutions, you should read more.  I even said I don't know if Reed is the answer but we need something at the position.  Another free agent to compete but preferably a rookie or two like Nixon, Alim McNeil, Marvin Wilson, Toagai, Shelvin, etc. All of which have more upside than Penisini.

in theory but you dont know...

2 hours ago, Sllim Pickens said:

I know that our DTs sucked last year, and therefore you replace them/upgrade them moving starters to rotational roles.  Thats not theory, thats how you build a team. 

The entire team was bad....thats why they got new coaching. You seem smart...you should know play call is bigger then the players...

27 minutes ago, NFL_Fan said:

The entire team was bad....thats why they got new coaching. You seem smart...you should know play call is bigger then the players...

Play call is important, its also important to not assume someone who hasnt shown much will in a different system.  Perhaps its reasonable to say a player who excelled in another system and struggled in ours will do better, but our DTs have not shown the ability to do better.  So if you think they will somehow be starter caliber players, you are just hoping, and not basing it on any fact.  If John Penisini had expectations to be a quality starter in any system in year 2, he would have gone long before round 6.  His expectations were to be a developmental role player with hopes maybe he is more.  He has shown he could probably be a quality role player in the right system but thats it. 

4 hours ago, NFL_Fan said:

MLB Tavai ???

LOLB Collins, Hamilton 

S Walker / Harris

WE NEED A SAFETY/LEADER

Hand cannot stay healthy, Penisini is average depth at best, Cornell will be cut sooner than later.

And alone is more of a MLB.

I'm assuming Omwari is Oruwariye? Dear God. Learn the players names.

This roster is God awful. Any upgrade should be accepted. 

2 hours ago, Sllim Pickens said:

Play call is important, its also important to not assume someone who hasnt shown much will in a different system.  Perhaps its reasonable to say a player who excelled in another system and struggled in ours will do better, but our DTs have not shown the ability to do better.  So if you think they will somehow be starter caliber players, you are just hoping, and not basing it on any fact.  If John Penisini had expectations to be a quality starter in any system in year 2, he would have gone long before round 6.  His expectations were to be a developmental role player with hopes maybe he is more.  He has shown he could probably be a quality role player in the right system but thats it. 

whoa...never said penisini was the starter....thats D. Hand...and yeah of course its easy to say oh hes hurt all the time. okay so why keep swift or kerryon? why did rams just go all in on a qb that was always hurt?? Like I said I am okay going into this year with this Dline. 

Flowers

Hand

Brockers

Okwara

with Julian and Harris and Williams coming off bench. Maybe a rookie yes I do agree. I want a rookie passrusher. so DT, or DE, im okay with. I like Boogie Basham. 

1 hour ago, Louis Friend said:

Hand cannot stay healthy, Penisini is average depth at best, Cornell will be cut sooner than later.

And alone is more of a MLB.

I'm assuming Omwari is Oruwariye? Dear God. Learn the players names.

This roster is God awful. Any upgrade should be accepted. 

lmaooooo at this forum sometimes...

12 hours ago, Sllim Pickens said:

What have those guys done to deserve that?  Penisini is a 6th round pick that was forced to play more than he should have been.  He had a horrible PFF grade (41.1) and has zero pass rush ability.  Hand can't stay healthy and is due a new contract soon. Atkins and Strong could barely make the active roster last year.  None of these guys are high potential big jump in the second year type guys.  Maybe one develops but if they do, great then we have three DTs we can rotate. DT is still one of our biggest weaknesses IMO and that list of guys should have no impact on adding another player at the position. 

Now I am not saying Reed is the answer, but we need more there than what we have because that group is doo doo. 

Prior to last year, John Atkins was pressuring the pocket and walking his guy back consistently.  Penisini played better as the year went on despite the fact that the previous coaching staff wasn't great at developing talent and the complete lack of an off-season.  A full off-season and a better coaching staff could do wonders for both players.

1 hour ago, Nnivolcm said:

I know there are people who double fist the kool aid around here, but I didn't expect anyone to claim we were looking good with our DTs...

That’s what I’m saying.  Nobody was walking back their blockers consistently or they would have played more.  Our DTs suck, flat out.  Brockets helps, he isn’t the only answer.