Cuts: 18 million

OT Bobbie Massie 7.5 million [June 1]

TE Jimmy Graham 8.5 million [June 1]

CB Buster Skrine 3 million

WR Javon Wims 1 million

LB Joel Iggy 1 million

21 million-3 million [Top 51 coming back on]=18 million

Cap Space: 14 million

After obvious cuts and before we re-work deals the Bears will have only 14 million in cap space on a 180 million dollar cap. The higher the cap is from 180 you can add that into the 14 million.

Not good.

3 hours ago, WindyCity said:

Top 51 Cap Commitments: 191 million

Salary Cap: 180 million

Roll Over: 7 million

Cap Space: -4 million

Cuts: 18 million

OT Bobbie Massie 7.5 million [June 1]

TE Jimmy Graham 8.5 million [June 1]

CB Buster Skrine 3 million

WR Javon Wims 1 million

LB Joel Iggy 1 million

21 million-3 million [Top 51 coming back on]=18 million

Cap Space: 14 million

After obvious cuts and before we re-work deals the Bears will have only 14 million in cap space on a 180 million dollar cap. The higher the cap is from 180 you can add that into the 14 million.

Not good.

Besides Massie, Graham & Skrine I don't think those cuts you have listed are obvious.  They could go either way really.

Bears already had a chance to cut Wims and they didn't which must mean they like him somewhat.  I don't think the punch incident or that drop against NO in a game we would have lost anyway changes that. If ARob leaves in FA then I can especially see them keeping whatever cheap depth they have at WR.  This includes Anthony Miller.

Also Iggy is a key special teams player and this team lacks depth at LB so I doubt he's cut considering his salary isn't that much.  You need to replace him and you would only save a cpl hundred thousand max.

We know the cap situation isn't great as of right now for this team but there will be moves made.  Expect Hicks to either get an extension or traded.  Fuller is likely going to get extended as well which should lower his 2021 cap hit.

13 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

Hicks is in deep trouble.

The Robinson tag is going to hurt.

We have to do something with Fuller contract.

I could see Hicks being extended or cut.

Robinson can pound sand at this point.

Fuller can be extended/re-negotiated I would think.

I wonder if a team would trade for Hicks at his current salary?  I think a team may bite for a late round pick.  If he's released then would have to imagine he'd be in high demand and I don't think Bears would want to see him sign with a rival like the Packers.  Tough spot.  I love Hicks but he is slowing down.

39 minutes ago, topwop1 said:

I wonder if a team would trade for Hicks at his current salary?  I think a team may bite for a late round pick.  If he's released then would have to imagine he'd be in high demand and I don't think Bears would want to see him sign with a rival like the Packers.  Tough spot.  I love Hicks but he is slowing down.

Hicks for Minshew?..

The Jags have a ton of cap space and not a lot of leaders or defensive talent...would give them back a Calais Campbell type of presence up front...clear Urban only wants the job for the chance to work with Lawrence & Luton looked decent as a backup so moving Minshew for a player who would help them win games early seems to make sense.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

Hicks for Minshew?..

The Jags have a ton of cap space and not a lot of leaders or defensive talent...would give them back a Calais Campbell type of presence up front...clear Urban only wants the job for the chance to work with Lawrence & Luton looked decent as a backup so moving Minshew for a player who would help them win games early seems to make sense.

I would do it 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, WindyCity said:

With the likely cuts and top 51 guys we would have about 23 million.

Extend Fuller and that becomes 35 million

Tag Robinson and it becomes 17 million.

I'd love them to do something with Robinson. I'm on record as saying that he should be the #1 untouchable asset on offense. 

I don't think Pace has really been listening to me though, lately. 

Robinson is gone. 

I'll be giddy as a school girl if I'm wrong about that. 

31 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

The floor is 176.

I think it will come in at 185. You can probably add 5 million to those totals. Not that it changes the big picture.

Between C19, the 17 game season, and the new TV contracts it's too hard to project next years salary cap. If there were ever a worse time for covid to happen it was this year.  

Usually in December they start going over their books for the first run of projections and they usually send it out to all teams typically within a 5M-7M range.  They haven't even been able to do that yet this year and we're coming up on the end of January.   

They wanna start the 17 game season next year but they can't do that until they sign a new TV contract and iron out the details about how to split it between providers. They also wanna start offering more exclusive digital plans for week 17. So it makes it even harder when they don't even know how to project next years revenue until they sign the new TV contract, and then they have to look at the financial impact of covid and figure out how many years it could take to recoup--remember they had to pull out alot of money to revamp their stadiums and team facilities for C19 (that's money lost). 

I think the owners know that it's going to take some time to recoup the financial loss and are going to be pretty lenient on the teams this year given the C19 situation and how well the coaches and players handled it instead of punishing them for it and saying to the NFLPA "hey, we want all of our money ASAP".  Now, if a lot of players/coaches would've opted out and teams would've had to start guys of the street to fill rosters then that would've been a different story because it would've made the league and teh owners look bad. 

I think what happens is that the owners will look at the profit from future digital deals, the extra week, and extra playoff seeds and ultimately go "okay, let's be very reasonable here. We could make this money back by 2023 even if we don't bottleneck these teams this year". 

Edited by JAF-N72EX