Free agents

WizardHawk

1 minute ago, D82 said:

This team loves to give money to average/below average players though. I mean, they kept Crawford around forever...just now got rid of Chris Jones, are keeping Jaylon and Zeke around...

There's not much they can do about the Zeke contract besides trade him, which, lol good luck. His guarantee structure makes him virtually uncuttable till '23.

I think with him and Jaylon both there's just this persistence from the FO to make superstars out of them, going all the way to when they were drafted, because people notice great players at RB and LB on a highly visible team like Dallas. It's pretty moronic when you go back and look at some of the players we could've had at those picks.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Nextyearfordaboyz said:

This is what I was saying when we hired Quinn was hired. If you could get his prototype for WLB and SS, they are probably just the same player.

I like the idea of playing Neal as the SS in base, and then replacing Jaylon at WLB in sub packages with Wilson filling in at SS. That gives you the flexibility to be pretty stout in the early downs, and get your biggest coverage liability (Jaylon) mostly out of harms way.

How often are we even in a Base 4-3 Defense? My assumption without looking it up would be we are mostly in a Nickel type defense.

8 minutes ago, CAPJ said:

How often are we even in a Base 4-3 Defense? My assumption without looking it up would be we are mostly in a Nickel type defense.

The whole NFL is this way. Roughly 75% of defensive snaps are in sub-packages, and 25% in base (give or take 1-2% for goal line/jumbo packages).

Edited by Nextyearfordaboyz

53 minutes ago, Nextyearfordaboyz said:

That’s a really low bar for someone who could have saved us $7M against the cap, in an FA period where really good starters can be had for $5M.

I am not convinced we would utilize the money properly. If the team is convinced he can re-gain form & they have no need/desire to use the money now...I don't understand the rush to remove someone. If both he and the wolfhunter suck again we will be looking to replace our entire LB unit. 

6 minutes ago, Texas_OutLaw7 said:

I am not convinced we would utilize the money properly. If the team is convinced he can re-gain form & they have no need/desire to use the money now...I don't understand the rush to remove someone. If both he and the wolfhunter suck again we will be looking to replace our entire LB unit. 

“I’m ok with the sub-optimal decision because they are incapable of making separate, different optimal decisions” is not a compelling argument to me.

Obviously the Cowboys think there is still potential for Jaylon. Otherwise they would have moved on.

But I pretty strongly disagree. He was the embodiment of everything that made our defense historically hot garbage last year, and he was already headed towards the dumpster in years prior. It should have been time to move on from a play, money, and cultural standpoint.

10 minutes ago, Nextyearfordaboyz said:

“I’m ok with the sub-optimal decision because they are incapable of making separate, different optimal decisions” is not a compelling argument to me.

Obviously the Cowboys think there is still potential for Jaylon. Otherwise they would have moved on.

But I pretty strongly disagree. He was the embodiment of everything that made our defense historically hot garbage last year, and he was already headed towards the dumpster in years prior. It should have been time to move on from a play, money, and cultural standpoint.

Not trying to convince you that this is the correct course of action. But I do see evidence that exists that we had a huge regression last year with our defense. Quinn is an incredibly able defensive-mind & I am actively excited to see what he can do with this team.

Smith, along with making (or in his case, not making) defensive plays last year - also would celebrate at the absolute worst possible times. He oozed a country-club like atmosphere and took no accountability for his poor play. I would have understood the decision to move on, but I did not think it was absolutely necessary. Run it back one more year with a third DC - if he is still broken you toss him aside. 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, D82 said:

This team loves to give money to average/below average players though. I mean, they kept Crawford around forever...just now got rid of Chris Jones, are keeping Jaylon and Zeke around...

Plus we paid Dak, who is Average at best, lets be real we will never win a SB paying an average QB elite money

6 minutes ago, D82 said:

*sigh*

What's the Sigh about? we did it with Romo, and we never won a SB, Dak is being paid Mahomes money yet Mahomes has been to 2 SB and won 1, Dak has won 1 playoff game...not sure why everyone is all aboard the Dak train...

7 minutes ago, Trapt37 said:

What's the Sigh about? we did it with Romo, and we never won a SB, Dak is being paid Mahomes money yet Mahomes has been to 2 SB and won 1, Dak has won 1 playoff game...not sure why everyone is all aboard the Dak train...

We couldn't win a Super Bowl with Romo because of injuries, poor coaching and bad free agent/extension decisions. Romo was more than capable of winning a Super Bowl and likely would have in a better situation. 

Dak is a top ten QB. He's capable of winning a Super Bowl. Hopefully the front office doesn't let him down like it did Romo and Witten among others. 

7 minutes ago, Trapt37 said:

You don't really think Romo was "average at best" do you? Even his harshest critics would typically give him more than that. Indeed, the franchise let him down more so than the vice versa. It'll likely happen again. It's like you're dancing around the real problem here. DAL very well could go another 25 years without so much as a SB appearance, and Dak will hardly be any more to blame than he was for the last 25.

• Like 1

Just now, D82 said:

We couldn't win a Super Bowl with Romo because of injuries, poor coaching and bad free agent/extension decisions. Romo was more than capable of winning a Super Bowl and likely would have in a better situation. 

Dak is a top ten QB. He's capable of winning a Super Bowl. Hopefully the front office doesn't let him down like it did Romo and Witten among others. 

Agree to disagree here, Dak is not a top 10 QB IMO, at best maybe top 15, I just can't get behind that taking up a big part of or salary cap..

Just now, matt79511 said:

You don't really think Romo was "average at best" do you? Even his harshest critics would typically give him more than that. Indeed, the franchise let him down more so than the vice versa. It'll likely happen again. It's like you're dancing around the real problem here. DAL very well could go another 25 years without so much as a SB appearance, and Dak will hardly be any more to blame than he was for the last 25.

Yes Romo was average, did he have elite games sure, but overall he was an average QB..

3 minutes ago, Trapt37 said:

Yes Romo was average, did he have elite games sure, but overall he was an average QB..

lol, yeah, it was Jason Garrett's genius and our elite pass blocking OLs and defenses that kept us competitive week in week out and churned out 100+ passer ratings on the regular

Why are you even giving Dak and Romo credit for being average? Just say that anyone short of Rodgers/Mahomes/Peyton/Brady GOAT tier is inadequate. It's a better stance than docking obvious Top 10 QBs 5-6 spots in the rankings for no other reason than pettiness

Edited by matt79511
  • Like 1