Free agents

WizardHawk

1 minute ago, matt79511 said:

lol, yeah, it was Jason Garrett's genius and our elite pass blocking OLs and defenses that kept us competitive week in week out and churned out 100+ passer ratings on the regular

Why are you even giving Dak and Romo credit for being average? Just say that anyone short of Rodgers/Mahomes/Peyton/Brady GOAT tier is inadequate. It's a better stance than docking obvious Top 10 QBs 5-6 spots in the rankings for no other reason than pettiness

Not being petty, just being real, Romo was at best the 10th best QB when he was a player, but he was never elite, and saying he didn't have help we had top tier Oline, Witten at TE, TO among others at WR, we also had good defenses when Romo played, to me the 10th best player is not elite, above average maybe sure i'll give him that but he wasn't elite, as for Dak, IMO he really hasn't done anything to warrant top 3 money..he had a good 1st year and has been average since then, I would've rather traded Dak for a top 5 pick and drafted an early QB like Fields..but again that's just my opinion, not petty just tired of being mediocre..I would personally have a top 5 defense and a rookie QB vs pay a top 15 qb and a mediocre defense

1 minute ago, Nextyearfordaboyz said:

This forum has gone 0 days without derailing a thread into a Dak stinks debate.

Bummer, we were really on a good streak there.

Not saying he stinks just not worth the money and the topic was started about paying average players

Just now, Trapt37 said:

Not being petty, just being real, Romo was at best the 10th best QB when he was a player, but he was never elite, and saying he didn't have help we had top tier Oline, Witten at TE, TO among others at WR, we also had good defenses when Romo played, to me the 10th best player is not elite, above average maybe sure i'll give him that but he wasn't elite, as for Dak, IMO he really hasn't done anything to warrant top 3 money..he had a good 1st year and has been average since then, I would've rather traded Dak for a top 5 pick and drafted an early QB like Fields..but again that's just my opinion, not petty just tired of being mediocre..I would personally have a top 5 defense and a rookie QB vs pay a top 15 qb and a mediocre defense

Romo led the NFL in passer rating, yards per attempt, completion percentage, and TD:INT ratio in 2014. Outside of that year, yeah, he was probably something like the 10th best QB in the league most seasons. That’s not “average,” though. That’s “average franchise QB.” Big difference. Probably about what Dak is too.

If you asked every QB who’s ever played in the NFL what would they most like to have between elite skill players, an elite OL, and an elite defense, I suspect you would get very, very few takers for the skill players. And it’s usually the first thing people mention when detracting a QB, that he had great weapons, which I fine strange. Just my $.02.

1 hour ago, Trapt37 said:

Yes Romo was average, did he have elite games sure, but overall he was an average QB..

Romo went from overrated to terribly underrated. He was far from average. 

He was not in the elite tier of QBs, however he was a top 10 QB for the majority of his career, finished in the top 3 MVP voting in 2014 and from 2009 to 2013 was surround by for the most part a sub par roster.

Fisher reporting that Aldon is back to being Aldon again. The word used is “issues”, so to me that ship has sailed. We won’t get a comp pick because he probably won’t be signed. The FO dropped the ball when they had multiple teams inquiring about him at the trade deadline. Probably could’ve gotten a 3rd or 4th rounder 🙄

having Kazee and Hooker come in is good news... means there is still a lot of interest.   

Right now we have three safety's on the roster..  Thompson, Wilson, Neal...

I think 5 is max with Neal..   

Does this mean Woods is gone if they sign either Kazee or Hooker...  I think so...  

What about other FA's like Looney, Lee and March...   

I doubt they offer anything to MIlls, Senat and Ankou unless its peanuts....

IT will be interesting to see about Aldon Smith.

Just saying NO.. to getting into the Romo, Dak..  comp 300 plus pages is enough.

will bring up the Jaylon Smith thing...   People jumped all over the Smith deal as being crazy then wanted to resign Jones.   AT the time of the Smith deal I would say Smith showed he was a legitimate top 15-20 LB...   While I always considered Jones a top 15-20 tops on a good day CB. 

Right NOW as I already mentioned Jones is the highest paid CB in football and will be top 6 going foward..  OUCH.. that is way too crazy money for a average CB..   Smith is paid top 17 right NOW.. and drops to top 23 next year and probably out of the top 30 year after that...   SO NO that IS NOT CRAZY MONEY at the time...   SURE JAYLON SMITH did not earn even close to that and was a symbol of the cowboys wows on D ...   but lets be realistic.. Jaylon came off a deserved PRO BOWL when he signed..  will he get back to that level as a cowboy fan I hope so..  but we sure aren't paying him like a PRO BOWL LB either.. 

I brought this up because I really can't understand how some people see things here...   especially when they discuss Byron and Jaylon and FA and the Jones spending money.  I would say Neal is the best FA they have BROUGHT IN on D in decades and Neal hardly did anything last few years due to injury.   People think Romo and Dak are the reasons Jones does not spend.. the reality is JONES DOES NOT SPEND ON D because unlike Offense it's not splashy. JONES likes the hype of having the star offense player who makes Jones more money over the star defensive player. 

4 hours ago, Nextyearfordaboyz said:

It’s felt like an eternity since the news broke, but Kazee and Hooker are finally in the house. Would expect whoever is healthier to be signed today.

I think whoever is deemed healthier will get an offer.

1 hour ago, Northland said:

I'm not really surprised that we are moving on from Smith.

Neither am I, frankly he was not consistent enough in my mind. Started well enough but wasn't effective end of year. This preseason will be interesting regarding DE, right now we have 10 DE on contract and 4 DT's.   I figure we also will add at least 1 if not 2 more in draft. WE are starting with Gregory and Dlaw as starters then we added Urban Watkins and Basham. WE aslo have Anae, Armstrong, Carter who should battle for playing time. That is 8 right there.. Urban and Watkins I think can play inside some...  but still just how many can we afford to carry on the roster especially as we should add another in the early rounds of the draft who will make the team. 

2 hours ago, WizardHawk said:

Not surprised they’re moving on from Aldon. Not someone I ever felt very confident they’d re-sign. 

I thought he'd stick around after they declined to trade him to Seattle.