Watson trade talk!!!!!!

jetfuel34

On 2/25/2021 at 10:45 AM, Heymangold said:

I don’t think they are.  8th pick and what, 12th?  The Texans probably are going to want a QB with their first round pick - those 2 probably don’t allow them to do that.

They might offer as many picks as they can regardless of where that first pick lies in the first round. Yes the Jets can offer the best deal but also have the worst roster and are going to be reluctant on offering more than 3 1sts if even. 

On 2/26/2021 at 12:07 PM, ekill08x said:

They might offer as many picks as they can regardless of where that first pick lies in the first round. Yes the Jets can offer the best deal but also have the worst roster and are going to be reluctant on offering more than 3 1sts if even. 

No way we are giving Houston, three first round picks we  need those picks to build our roster. Watson was 4-12 last year what do you think he will do with the Jets, with our roster.

4 hours ago, doumeyer said:

No way we are giving Houston, three first round picks we  need those picks to build our roster. Watson was 4-12 last year what do you think he will do with the Jets, with our roster.

If its in sequential years and its only the 3, I think we do it. I wouldn't go more than that. I am fine with a QB at 2. With Lawrence being the obvious #1 pick that 2 pick as way more value than the 3 and its the trump card. I've tried to stay out of the talk because its seemed unrealistic but it might be more realistic than I thought. Texans are going to want to work a deal with us because of that #2 which gives us some more leverage. I still wouldn't go passed 3 1s in 3 consecutive years personally. 

4 minutes ago, ekill08x said:

If its in sequential years and its only the 3, I think we do it. I wouldn't go more than that. I am fine with a QB at 2. With Lawrence being the obvious #1 pick that 2 pick as way more value than the 3 and its the trump card. I've tried to stay out of the talk because its seemed unrealistic but it might be more realistic than I thought. Texans are going to want to work a deal with us because of that #2 which gives us some more leverage. I still wouldn't go passed 3 1s in 3 consecutive years personally. 

I have always maintained 2 FRP. If you look at the trade value chart a #2 this year and, say, #15 next year plus another day 2 pick is worth more than 4 mid to late FRP.  I also have difficulty believing JD would part with our only FRP in 2023. He values them and believes in building through the draft.

With all that said, if we did go the 3 FRP route in 3 consecutive years I would not cry. We have been searching for a star QB since Namath. How sad is that?  We would still have enough draft capital and cap space to surround any QB with talent along with the rest of the team. If we got Watson, I would wager we will be a playoff team in 2022.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, doumeyer said:

We were 4-12 without Watson(we beat the Raiders and Patriots IMO)

Also our roster has to get better simply because of the assets available. 

An angle to look at is that HOU NEEDS to move Watson before FA.

And here’s why... they’re in the situation now Bc of how they lied to him and how they’ve pissed off players on the whole team. To go into FA and lie to FAs that Watson the guy and then trade him. Pisses off brand new players as well as drafted players down the line.

They need to change that culture. And the best way is to start fresh. Trade Watson and start over. Be honest.

2 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

And here’s why... they’re in the situation now Bc of how they lied to him and how they’ve pissed off players on the whole team. To go into FA and lie to FAs that Watson the guy and then trade him. Pisses off brand new players as well as drafted players down the line.

They need to change that culture. And the best way is to start fresh. Trade Watson and start over. Be honest.

100%. Every day they wait into FA his prices drops if I am Douglas.

• Like 1

I think he is moved with in the week. They are seeing what is the best deal and do they want #2 pick this year and first next year from the Jets or do they take 3-4 first round picks from the Panthers or 49ers. Having 2 more first round picks that are in the mid 20's is not as good as the #2 pick I think. 

3 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

Until Easterby is fired and McNair offers some kind of atonement, getting rid of Watson does not do much IMO. Changing the culture of a team requires sweeping changes in the FO and coaching staff. Since Easterby and McNair seem to be the culprits in this **** show, they need changing. 

1 minute ago, xrade said:

Until Easterby is fired and McNair offers some kind of atonement, getting rid of Watson does not do much IMO. Changing the culture of a team requires sweeping changes in the FO and coaching staff. Since Easterby and McNair seem to be the culprits in this **** show, they need changing. 

Totally agree. But keeping guys around that want out, only makes that worse. 

34 minutes ago, ekill08x said:

100%. Every day they wait into FA his prices drops if I am Douglas.

That is correct. but on the other hand the number two overall pick gains in value., and that is a fact. Houston is in all kind of trouble their QB wants out, they don't have a first or second round pick in this years draft. I am sure this is not going to change till one half hour before we pick at #2. Houston will not be the only teams wanting our #2 pick. Right now Douglas is in no rush he has so many options he could with that #2 pick. I think it is time to stop worrying about Houston's, problems and worry how we are going to rebuild our roster. We still have a lot of work to due on the defensive side of the ball. We can analyze all the other 31 NFL teams for their needs but that means nothing when PANIC set in when you are on the clock draft time. For the first time many many years I have faith in our GM.

On 2/24/2021 at 6:24 PM, doumeyer said:

Why are we wasting so much time on this Watson, trade. The Houston owner said as of now he has no intention of trading Watson. IF he starts to send out feelers out that is a different story.

Houston may wind up doing the Jets a favor. Lets just suppose that Houston forces Watson going into the 2021 season to play for them. That means the Jets would have had to maximize their draft to strengthen the team.

So the scenarios could be multiple, but the Jets would come out winners because of the talent they would add, whoever it might be.

Which would lead us to the 2022 draft and should Houston change its mind and deal. Houston would have missed out on the 2nd overall pick of 2021 and the rest of the draft class.

They would have to settle for 2022 number 1's and probably the 2023 number 1.

Now should the Jets trade Darnold this year, then the Jets would have that much more draft capitol to negotiate with. 

If Houston is smart, I get the distinct feeling they are going to mess this thing all up, then Houston's time to strike a deal is right now.

2 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

Totally agree. But keeping guys around that want out, only makes that worse. 

This is true, but I can’t help but think things can be fixed if McNair recognizes the reason for Watson’s feelings and does his best to soothe them. I am not talking about giving in to silly things but if the culture in Houston is toxic for whatever reason, fix it and make Watson a focal point of that fix. It can be done as long as McNair is not stubborn enough to let it all go to ****. Sadly, I think he is too stubborn.

1 hour ago, Big T said:

Houston may wind up doing the Jets a favor. Lets just suppose that Houston forces Watson going into the 2021 season to play for them. That means the Jets would have had to maximize their draft to strengthen the team.

So the scenarios could be multiple, but the Jets would come out winners because of the talent they would add, whoever it might be.

Which would lead us to the 2022 draft and should Houston change its mind and deal. Houston would have missed out on the 2nd overall pick of 2021 and the rest of the draft class.

Now should the Jets trade Darnold this year, then the Jets would have that much more draft capitol to negotiate with. 

If Houston is smart, I get the distinct feeling they are going to mess this thing all up, then Houston's time to strike a deal is right now.

I agree we must repair our roster first

On 3/1/2021 at 11:16 AM, Big T said:

If this goes past the draft...the Jets are 100% out on Watson. They will look to deal with teams that have the high picks that can get them a QB. Its really now or never for the Jets and Watson, but Houston would be doing themselves a major disservice waiting even in FA