2021 GB Roster & Free Agents

squire12

1 minute ago, packfanfb said:

It's a very weird argument. People literally want to trade the guy who may have been the best player in the NFL last year (or at least the best player at the most important position in the sport), all in an effort to justify a poor decision by the GM to prematurely draft a QB in the first round. 

It was a very difficult decision to defend when it happened, and it's a 100% more difficult to defend now after Rodgers just slapped the FO in the face with another MVP season. 

laughable

13 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

I'm calling out his rationale dismissing Love because "Rodgers is an MVP". Rodgers was not an MVP in 2006. He was using hindsight to justify an unjustifiable position.

Love and Rodgers were similarly ranked prospects, and the staff should have a good feel for the chances of Love's future success following this season IMO. I, for one, am VERY enticed at the idea of moving forward with a skilled 23 year old QB, incredible draft capital, and significant cap space in 2022. Our Front Office would have a LOT of resources to build an incredible roster around Love, that could open a sizable window for success if he's even Jared Goff-level good.

Nice try. That wasn't the point of the post. Not even close. If you have to re-arrange someone's words to argue, that's on you. Quite pitiful actually.

Edited by cannondale

5 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

Love and Rodgers were similarly ranked prospects.....

?  If I remember correctly, there was conversation that AR could be the first overall selection. Would it be AR or Alex Smith. Cant recall ever hearing Love's name in that context.

2 minutes ago, Leader said:

?  If I remember correctly, there was conversation that AR could be the first overall selection. Would it be AR or Alex Smith. Cant recall ever hearing Love's name in that context.

I don't care about draftnik ranks, they went in similar spots of the draft. The ACTUAL market >>> Walter Football projections in February.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

I don't care about draftnik ranks, they went in similar spots of the draft. The ACTUAL market >>> Walter Football projections in February.

? Does not compute. They were different drafts. Different teams had different needs at the time and they were surrounded by different talent. You cant equate their talent levels as equal coming out of college simply because of where they ultimately got selected.

Fact: AR was widely touted as potentially going #1 overall. Love never was considered in that light.

4 minutes ago, Leader said:

? Does not compute. They were different drafts. Different teams had different needs at the time and they were surrounded by different talent. You cant equate their talent levels as equal coming out of college simply because of where they ultimately got selected.

Fact: AR was widely touted as potentially going #1 overall. Love never was considered in that light.

yikes

Fact: internet draftniks have a TINY fraction of information available to them relative to NFL decision makers

Fact: nobody knows where Rodgers ranked on any team's board other than he was in GBs top 24

Fact: nobody knows where Love ranked on any team's board other than he was in GBs top 26

Conclusion: the NFL market proved the two QBs were held in similar value indicating they were similarly ranked prospects.

Fact: Anyone who says otherwise doesn't have a handle on the actual facts.

Edited by incognito_man

Just posted this in the draft thread but fits in this discussion too:  If Rodgers had played his final College season under the same circumstances Love had he wouldn't have been considered a (the) top QB either.    Perhaps could have dropped out of 1st round altogether? - obviously no way of knowing

After his stellar 2018 season Love dealt with the following heading into 2019--

• Lost his head coach to Texas so played for a new HC and OC
  • Lost his top 4 targets in the passing game. 
  • The only returning WR with more than 10 receptions had 28 catches 297 yards in 2018
  • Lost his top RB to the NFL, Darwin Thompson
  • Replaced 4 of the starting offensive linemen incl his all-conference C and G.   
  • Only returning starter, other than himself was a Sophomore LT meaning the team replaced 9 of 11 starters from 2018-2019 and those two had to play in a new system
  • Had exactly -0- offensive players on any preseason conference awards watch lists
Edited by Kampfgeist
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, incognito_man said:

your statements about Rodgers being "touted" as going #1 and Love never being considered "in that light" being classified as "fact" elucidates your understanding of the situation better than I ever could have lol

Point stands. AR was widely touted as possibly going #1 overall. Love never was. Thats not "my understanding" - thats fact.

You're saying that their talent levels were equal coming out of college because of their relative draft locations - which is absurd simply put and made moreso when factoring in their selections were separated by 15 years.

Different game...different talent pool surrounding them....in fact, the only factor thats equal was they were (are) both QBs. Thats it. Elucidate on that for awhile. 

Points made. I've got things to do. Have a nice day.

37 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

I'm calling out his rationale dismissing Love because "Rodgers is an MVP". Rodgers was not an MVP in 2006. He was using hindsight to justify an unjustifiable position.

Love and Rodgers were similarly ranked prospects, and the staff should have a good feel for the chances of Love's future success following this season IMO. I, for one, am VERY enticed at the idea of moving forward with a skilled 23 year old QB, incredible draft capital, and significant cap space in 2022. Our Front Office would have a LOT of resources to build an incredible roster around Love, that could open a sizable window for success if he's even Jared Goff-level good.

you have an infatuation with the qb-cap relationship and how it leads to success when your QB is underpaid.