Texans hire David Culley as HC

RaidersAreOne

33 minutes ago, Texansfan713 said:

the burrito i ate at chipotle for lunch would be a better OL coach than Devlin. 

5 minutes ago, Pastor Dillon said:

Yeah has to be better than Devlin. We have a lot of talent on the o-line. 

People are really high on him and the work he did in GB. He and Pep seem like good hires.

• Like 1

If there is any questions on why this guy was hired...

This isn't even the Houston Texans, this is the Houston Easterbys'. They're not even TRYING to hide it anymore, Jack Easterby is making 100% of the decisions in the building. 

Deshaun gonna love this one.

5 hours ago, ET80 said:

If there is any questions on why this guy was hired...

This isn't even the Houston Texans, this is the Houston Easterbys'. They're not even TRYING to hide it anymore, Jack Easterby is making 100% of the decisions in the building. 

Deshaun gonna love this one.

Bringing in a character coach to get Watson to get in line seems about right.

• Like 1

• 7 months later...
28 minutes ago, ET80 said:

Bump...

Two games in, and... well, I'm setting some coals to burn, I'm probably going to BBQ some crow for all of us this season.

This team isn't going to win much - but David Culley is looking like a solid hire for HC.

still not sold on him yet.  jags are awful.  i'll give him a pass on the browns game due to tyrod being hurt but so far this season he has made 2 bone headed calls that involved penalties. 

Just now, Texansfan713 said:

still not sold on him yet.  jags are awful.  i'll give him a pass on the browns game due to tyrod being hurt but so far this season he has made 2 bone headed calls that involved penalties. 

I get that - but I'm not even worried about that right now. Rookie coaches have brain farts, it's part of the learning process; This is Culley's first attempt at any level, so the learning curve is much steeper.

My thoughts are more on how this team looks going into games - I have yet to see this team sleepwalk for the first 5-10 minutes, assignments are executed cleanly and fast, guys are on the same page at all levels on both sides of the ball. If the Texans have *actual* core players performing, this unity is going to really pay off.

It's only two games in, so it could come crashing down, but I'm of the mindset that it's not. Guys listen to Culley and buy in on the culture... then listen to Lovie, Kelly, Pep, Campen and executive their assignment as planned. How long has it been since we saw this?

• Like 2

5 hours ago, ET80 said:

Bump...

Two games in, and... well, I'm setting some coals to burn, I'm probably going to BBQ some crow for all of us this season.

This team isn't going to win much - but David Culley is looking like a solid hire for HC.

He's a leader of men. That's what you need as a HC. 

Personally I like that he's not the offense or defensive play caller like most coaches are these days. Hire a staff underneath you have trust them to do their jobs. 

I too was very skeptical, but I'm all in on this staff.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/23/2021 at 9:36 AM, ET80 said:

Bump...

...well, six weeks in and I'm putting that crow on ice. It's the same mistakes every week, both in-game decisions and an unacceptable amount of penalties. This team isn't learning from their mistakes - and that is 100% on the entire coaching staff, from David Culley on down to Dylan Thompson. People shouldn't care less about the "leader of men" angle if basic fundamentals are repeatedly missed. It doesn't matter if he's giving great speeches or motivating guys - because all of that goes out the window when you're losing like this.

We all knew losses were going to be on the menu, but that was supposed to be to about the lack of talent - this team is losing because it's not talented, but they don't even look remotely competitive against BAD teams. Poor execution, stupid mental penalties, miscues on assignments - this is all a reflection of David Culley, Tim Kelly and Lovie Smith and for it to still be a problem nearly two months into the season tells me this staff is an absolute failure at the important parts of football.

At this point, I don't see a W on the schedule. Jacksonville in Jax is going to be a loss and NYJ might be close - but this Texans team would struggle with Georgia right now.

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, Texansfan713 said:

At this point I believe we can all agree he is just a place holder HC for a few seasons while we rebuild.

I don't know if I'm going to call this a rebuild anymore - I don't know what the hell this FO is doing. It's not building a culture, it's not holding guys accountable, it's just splashing around in the dirt.

We sit out guys like Charles Ominehu, Zach Cunningham and Lonnie Johnson for a lack of something (practice, diet, working out, treatment, etc). OK, fine. But on the flip side, a guy like Tytus Howard can have 3-4 penalties a game - and he doesn't even miss a snap. It's not like he's even playing well on those snaps, either; Ominehu is our best DL this season by far and he's inactive two weeks in a row... while a guy like David Johnson runs with zero sense of urgency weekly, Philip Lindsay runs into every single fat guy in front of him in a Texans jersey, Max Scharping can miss assignments on a regular basis and Terrance Mitchell can let Texans co-owner TY Hilton run unchecked for 30 yards in coverage - and bubkus. Not held accountable for their misdeeds on the field.

This "building a culture" line that's being fed to us is absolute horse crap. They're rewarding guys who sit obediently to Jack Easterby and the FO, and black listing guys who even think about second guessing this trash regime.

I've never been this disgusted with a team before. I'm fired up right now, because this franchise is assuming this fanbase is stupid - oh, we'll still check in because they're "rebuilding" and they're "building the right culture". No, that's not happening - I've watched enough football to know trash when I see it, and it's what I'm seeing right now. They're running an organization that doesn't value accountability, rewards misguided loyalty over performance, and has a warped belief of what makes a good organization - this FO would ruin a freaking Subway sandwich shop, let alone one if the 32 NFL franchises.

This franchise is a reflection of Cal McNair - completely incompetent ran on principles that have nothing to do with football and clueless to do anything about it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ET80 said:

I don't know if I'm going to call this a rebuild anymore - I don't know what the hell this FO is doing. It's not building a culture, it's not holding guys accountable, it's just splashing around in the dirt.

We sit out guys like Charles Ominehu, Zach Cunningham and Lonnie Johnson for a lack of something (practice, diet, working out, treatment, etc). OK, fine. But on the flip side, a guy like Tytus Howard can have 3-4 penalties a game - and he doesn't even miss a snap. It's not like he's even playing well on those snaps, either; Ominehu is our best DL this season by far and he's inactive two weeks in a row... while a guy like David Johnson runs with zero sense of urgency weekly, Philip Lindsay runs into every single fat guy in front of him in a Texans jersey, Max Scharping can miss assignments on a regular basis and Terrance Mitchell can let Texans co-owner TY Hilton run unchecked for 30 yards in coverage - and bubkus. Not held accountable for their misdeeds on the field.

This "building a culture" line that's being fed to us is absolute horse crap. They're rewarding guys who sit obediently to Jack Easterby and the FO, and black listing guys who even think about second guessing this trash regime.

I've never been this disgusted with a team before. I'm fired up right now, because this franchise is assuming this fanbase is stupid - oh, we'll still check in because they're "rebuilding" and they're "building the right culture". No, that's not happening - I've watched enough football to know trash when I see it, and it's what I'm seeing right now. They're running an organization that doesn't value accountability, rewards misguided loyalty over performance, and has a warped belief of what makes a good organization - this FO would ruin a freaking Subway sandwich shop, let alone one if the 32 NFL franchises.

This franchise is a reflection of Cal McNair - completely incompetent ran on principles that have nothing to do with football and clueless to do anything about it.

In Howard's defense, he was playing pretty good at RT (ask Texans Thoughts) and they moved him for a "culture" guy (Cannon) who has not even really played (and almost got Mills killed).  

1 hour ago, ET80 said:

i mean, can we really even say this ever was a rebuild year? We had no picks last draft and no young talent, to me this is a 'survive till next season' year. most of the players will probably be gone next year

• Like 2