Packers (Unofficially?) Promote Maurice Drayton to ST Coordinator

deltarich87

Here's the benefit of the doubt I will give Drayton. If's he worth a damn, he should be able to fix the coverage units, but until Gutey gets him a bonafide return man, our KO and PR games are going to suck anyways. That should be a priority this off-season. 

I'd love a guy like Jamal Agnew from Detroit joining this team. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

Here's the benefit of the doubt I will give Drayton. If's he worth a damn, he should be able to fix the coverage units, but until Gutey gets him a bonafide return man, our KO and PR games are going to suck anyways. That should be a priority this off-season. 

I'd love a guy like Jamal Agnew from Detroit joining this team. 

KO returns are getting steadily phased out of the game with the blocking rules and 25yd touchback.  I'd much rather we have good gunners and a PR who will not lose the ball and can be a threat when there is an open field.  Dependable, boring ST would still be a marked upgrade from what we've been subjected to.

• Like 4

I understand the pessimism around promoting internally from a unit that has been horrific for a decade. However, the same thing was said when we promoted a Strength and Conditioning coach to be the head of that group, and that has worked out really well -- much fewer injuries. I don't know anything about Drayton or what makes a good/bad ST coordinator, but I certainly won't write him off just because he worked under Zook && Mennenga.  

Edited by MuFF
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Refugee said:

KO returns are getting steadily phased out of the game with the blocking rules and 25yd touchback.  I'd much rather we have good gunners and a PR who will not lose the ball and can be a threat when there is an open field.  Dependable, boring ST would still be a marked upgrade from what we've been subjected to.

Agnew is a very good gunner as well. 

Will he speak of the pompatus of love during special teams meetings?

Good luck to him tho. Half your squad resents being on the squad. The other half is always at risk of not being here next week. The other coaches give you leftovers for meeting times, and your players' brains and minds are dulled from exertion and stress before you even get a chance to work with them. Repetitions stretch out over the entire width and length of the field at times, making communication difficult. Injuries and substitutions play havoc with who is out on the field for which ST squad, making 90% of the battle just getting the right 11 onto the field at a moment's notice.

it's a strange job.

Agree with Packfan.  We need a decent KR/PR.  For god sakes burn a late rounder and pick one up. Tyler Ervin showed  promise too bad he got injured.  If they bring him back he would at least be OK.  We need fast and fearless.  A good returner doesn't dance takes it straight up the field.  Tired of fielding lousy special teams every year.  This group needs massive improvement.  As far as the hire have no idea about the guy.  If MLF believes he is the right man for the job that's good enough for me.  Like others wanted a total reset but this guy must have something.  Bring some energy to this unit.  We'll see how he does next year.  Hope Gutenheimer at least gives him a few players to work with.

1 hour ago, Refugee said:

Keep hearing this argument.... also keep seeing us get burnt on ST

56 minutes ago, Scoremore said:

Agree with Packfan.  We need a decent KR/PR.  For god sakes burn a late rounder and pick one up. Tyler Ervin showed  promise too bad he got injured.  If they bring him back he would at least be OK.  We need fast and fearless.  A good returner doesn't dance takes it straight up the field.  Tired of fielding lousy special teams every year.  This group needs massive improvement.  As far as the hire have no idea about the guy.  If MLF believes he is the right man for the job that's good enough for me.  Like others wanted a total reset but this guy must have something.  Bring some energy to this unit.  We'll see how he does next year.  Hope Gutenheimer at least gives him a few players to work with.

Well here ya go......I'll give you an offseason assignment.....get Cordarrelle Patterson to come over.
He led the league in kick return attempts (35) - overall yards (1017) - average p/return (29.1) - and tied for the lead in TDs (1) for CHI and is a Free Agent    👍

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Rodjahs12 said:

Everyone is going to hate this because it isn’t the total reset we felt we needed there but I’m willing to give him a year. If we’re still bad this time next year I want him out though my patience with special teams is thin at this point. 

I'm not ready to slam the choice just yet.  Perhaps he has a totally different view on how ST should be run.  Right now anything might be an improvement.

1 hour ago, Leader said:

Well here ya go......I'll give you an offseason assignment.....get Cordarrelle Patterson to come over.
He led the league in kick return attempts (35) - overall yards (1017) - average p/return (29.1) - and tied for the lead in TDs (1) for CHI and is a Free Agent    👍

Ok Leader I'll get right on that.  He would be a fine choice.  Unfortunately we don't have any cash.  Would love Allen Robinson on our squad as well.  Can you imagine having that dude as your #2?  Wicked.  Different discussion but you brought up the Bears so...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Scoremore said:

Ok Leader I'll get right on that.  He would be a fine choice.  Unfortunately we don't have any cash.  Would love Allen Robinson on our squad as well.  Can you imagine having that dude as your #2?  Wicked.  Different discussion but you brought up the Bears so...

No cash? Then sell him on other things....like: "You wanna make the NFCCG? We're your ticket!"  :)

2 hours ago, Pugger said:

I'm not ready to slam the choice just yet.  Perhaps he has a totally different view on how ST should be run.  Right now anything might be an improvement.

Pugger ... might be an improvement should be have been ... WILL be an improvement.  The unit was horrible for years.

I am fine with more or less anyone other than Mennenga, but in the bigger picture it seems like lack of commitment to ST is probably as much of an issue as the coaching.

There was some question in here about whether money was the primary issue why Rizzi didn't take the job in 2019.  JSO had this blurb in their story today on Drayton

Drayton was a candidate for the job in 2019 after highly regarded Miami Dolphins special teams coach Darren Rizzi dropped out of consideration when he felt the Packers weren’t serious about meeting his contract demands. He wound up with the New Orleans Saints.

Edited by Mazrimiv

51 minutes ago, Mazrimiv said:

I am fine with more or less anyone other than Mennenga, but in the bigger picture it seems like lack of commitment to ST is probably as much of an issue as the coaching.

There was some question in here about whether money was the primary issue why Rizzi didn't take the job in 2019.  JSO had this blurb in their story today on Drayton

Nagler said something on his podcast today - something which I'd long  suspected might have been a factor why Rizzi didnt come on board before Mennenga - that his family didnt want to relocate (from Miami) to Green Bay - so GB basically had to "overpay" to get him to come.....and they werent willing to pony up the extra cash. Dont know anything about the $$$ - but I'd alluded to this possibility back when.

When this was all going down - a Polar Vortex had settled over the mid-west. It was Frozen Tundra revisited when the interview(s) were going down and I'd guessed that the climate change probably wasnt doing us any good. Turns out I was right. They stayed in the South - New Orleans. Every once in awhile I get it right :)

Edited by Leader