FA 2021 - WR Chris Godwin franchise tagged

ravishingone

With the new TV deal now in place and the details have come out, the salary cap next year is going to explode. It's going to be anywhere from $220-$240 million. That is an insane increase from this season. The salary cap will likely be $300 million within the next 4-5 years. 

We're gonna see some monster contracts next year. A guy like Godwin banking on himself and playing under the tag vs. signing a long-term deal now could payoff in a big way for him.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, kgarrett12486 said:

With the new TV deal now in place and the details have come out, the salary cap next year is going to explode. It's going to be anywhere from $220-$240 million. That is an insane increase from this season. The salary cap will likely be $300 million within the next 4-5 years. 

We're gonna see some monster contracts next year. A guy like Godwin banking on himself and playing under the tag vs. signing a long-term deal now could payoff in a big way for him.  

Yeah. Like I said, there's no incentive for him to sign an extension right now. If we don't pay him $16M+ next year, someone will.

3 minutes ago, bucsfan333 said:

Yeah. Like I said, there's no incentive for him to sign an extension right now. If we don't pay him $16M+ next year, someone will.

Agreed that it's most likely in his best interest to wait, but there still is that unknown of a possible major injury...

If I'm him though, the reward (long-term deal next year) is going to far outweigh the risk ( major injury this year).

17 hours ago, ravishingone said:

Not sure what the Bears are doing.  Hicks is enterimg the last yr of his contract.  If he ends up getting cut, I would have interest to replace Suh if money is similar.

Hicks is making $10.5/million in last year of his deal and apparently advised Chicago when they approached him on possible extension to reduce the hit that he was looking for a 'substantial' raise on his next deal... 

48 minutes ago, kgarrett12486 said:

Hicks is making $10.5/million in last year of his deal and apparently advised Chicago when they approached him on possible extension to reduce the hit that he was looking for a 'substantial' raise on his next deal... 

It all comes down to guaranteed money as we all know.  Hicks upcoming salary is $10.5 million.  Were the Bears offering significantly more then 10.5 million?  As we seen with other deals involving signing bonuses and/or voidable years, guys have gotten a lot more guaranteed money over 10.5 million.

At 31, if Hicks would hit the mkt, I would assume he should be able to get over 20 million in  guaranteed money.

Edited by ravishingone

3 hours ago, ravishingone said:

Atkins is intriguing.  Younger then Suh and really durable up until last season.

Need Suh over anyone imo. His attitude and chemistry with the team is reason alone. They feed off his tenacity. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, kgarrett12486 said:

Bengals fans have said his play has diminished rapidly since 2018. Rather just have the known in Suh back if possible.  

Well, Rams fans thought Suh was lazy thru most of the season unril the playoffs.  Never understood why Suh didn t get credit as a help to Donald get that 20 sack yr.

If Atkins was signed, he would be playimg along a front 7, that is unquestionably bettet then Cincy has fielded recently.  In Licht. I trust.

Edited by ravishingone

10 hours ago, ravishingone said:

I think at this point, I would be surprised if AB wasn t re signed.  When John Ross n Perriman gets signed first, looks to me that AB s mkt is very soft.  I like the idea of an insurance policy for Evans n Godwin.

I heard John Clayton yesterday say he thinks it'll be between us and the Seahawks. Doesn't think AB wants to play for any other QBs beside his buddies TB12 and Wilson.

Apparently Wilson is still lobbying for AB to be signed and Clayton thought it might be a way for SEA to try and mend the relationship with Russ.

Edited by kgarrett12486
  • Like 1