Raiders to release WR Tyrell Williams

RaidersAreOne

24 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

Has a player, specifically a big FA signing, who's later cut ever come back to the team for less money? Genuinely curious. Seems they mostly divorce and move on.

They normally divorce and move on. I don't think he'll come back but bummed to lose him if we don't keep Agholor either.

1 hour ago, OnlyGlove said:

What about 4/6m? 

I would personally move on.  We've already paid him 20M for about 5 games.  He essentially owes us at this point IMO.  Plus he'll probably be injured next season as well.  I'm good.  Plenty of other WRs that are available that have been healthy recently.

• Like 1

I always thought he was overrated, but we were desperate for an average starting WR after dumping Cooper. With Williams size and speed, he should have been one of the best in the league if he had the elite skills. In theory he would have been a nice WR2 to Ab but that never developed. It was worth a shot 

I think it is possible he comes back if he understands it was a business decision based upon his injury history.  Neither side should have hard feelings.  I hope they asked him to restructure.  If they did and he said no then you can part ways telling him that this is what we are willing to offer if nobody beats it.  It will come down to his personality and how they parted ways.  A player like Antonio Brown would take it personal and never come back because in his mind you took money from him.

3 hours ago, Humble_Beast said:

I guess he could come back. lol on a league minimum/camp invite type of deal. Would rather just try to develop Edwards 

If TW is healthy he is a much better player at this point in their careers.  The big issue is "if".  I would be willing to give TW a 2 yr minimum deal incentives and minimal guaranteed.  I would still want to sign/draft 2-3 other WRs.  After playing 5 games in 2 years I do not see him getting much more than a vet minimum deal.  Give him a deal that allows him to make up to $4 million if he plays good and the contract becomes a a player option in year 2 if he starts more than 12 games.  A structure like that is beneficial for bot parties.  If he decides to move on after the year then I would feel much better with Edwards starting year 3 than year 2 after very little playing time his rookie year.

10 hours ago, Humble_Beast said:

he has long term damage. Edwards and him are probably a wash at this point but Edwards has more potential. History shows WR need a year to adjust to the NFL, he just needs a chance. I don't see why Williams would sign for 2 years for so cheap and just be 4-5 wideout when he could got to a WR needy team

The salary cap and the injuries over the last 2 seasons is why he will not get a big contract.  Missing one year because of injury can be explained away but repeatedly missing time due to multiple injuries is a huge red flag.  Williams has the talent but in 6 seasons he has only put together a good season once and that was in 2016.  Signing a short contract that ends up being a 1yr $4 million contract that allows him to go after big money in 2022 is probably his best case scenario and that is why he signs.  There will be a lot of decent players that sign for under market value this season.  TW has not shown himself to be anything more than an often injured average starter.  You think he is getting close to what average players are going to get this year?  Every team is going to low ball him and give him the chance to make money with incentives.

TW being the 4th or 5th WR is not dependent on his contract but rather his play.  If he comes in and is clearly the best WR do you think Gruden is going to sit him.  That would only happen if Reggie drafted him but TW is one of Gruden's guys.  Edward's has talent but he probably needs one more year and I would not risk going into the year with my 2 starting WRs being 2nd year players that did not do much their rookie year.  I could see one being trusted to start but not both.  To much uncertainty.

Edited by drfrey13

16 hours ago, jimkelly02 said:

So we should expect T.Williams to sign with us in 7-8 years?  Lol

It’s incredibly rare we resign a player we released in the same offseason.  I really can’t think of any examples.

I  doubt Williams signs anything more than a 1 year minimum deal. The man hasn't played in two years.

48 minutes ago, Bitty 2.0 said:

I  doubt Williams signs anything more than a 1 year minimum deal. The man hasn't played in two years.

If he's willing to sign a 1 year vet minimum deal I would be ok with that but anything else, I would pass.  He would provide better depth than what we have at the end of our WR corp but he can not be depended on and is an injury waiting to happen.  TW adds to the long list of terrible signings by the Raiders front office....

1 hour ago, Frankie2Gunz said:

If he's willing to sign a 1 year vet minimum deal I would be ok with that but anything else, I would pass.  He would provide better depth than what we have at the end of our WR corp but he can not be depended on and is an injury waiting to happen.  TW adds to the long list of terrible signings by the Raiders front office....

That is what I think he does but you have to have some incentives to make more.  If he hits them who cares.  He earned his money.