What are you thinking about?

pwny

On 9/23/2021 at 6:23 PM, beekay414 said:

Archer is the GOAT animated dark comedy show, without question. I quote that magnificent bastard on a daily basis. I see a wooden spoon in someone's kitchen? Yeah, there's no way I'm not quoting Sterling Mallory Archer. I see crumbs on the ground? Ha! I see someone in a black turtleneck, it's 100% a tactleneck. FFS, when I hear Danger Zone on the radio, I no longer think of Top Gun. THAT'S CRAZY.

Archer is fantastic and I love every minute of it. I'd kill for a Jon Hamm live action version.

The only thing i've got is the Ants thing.  And it's really just gold.  It's so versatile.  It's been pretty utterly terrible for a couple seasons now though.

On 9/23/2021 at 9:11 PM, Dome said:

Sometimes I forget that electric eels are real… they’re so bizarre

I mostly just wonder what electric eels taste like.  Are you even allowed to eat them?

On 9/22/2021 at 6:53 AM, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

When I was in my mid 20’s I wanted to start looking to buy my first home.  I unfortunately didn’t know much about finance/credit at the time and had a similarly absurd issue.

For background, when I was 18-19 I was a moron with money, run up a couple grand on a credit card, etc. (that’s a lot when I was making $8-10 an hour)  Anyway, finally got my ish together, paid it off and canceled my card.  Never missed a payment or anything though, just paid the minimum.  From then on I went exclusively cash/debit.

I wanted to get a loan and a guy I worked with at the hospital was a mortgage lender by day and worked part time at the hospital at night. He got my info and was like “you have no credit”.  I had a car loan that was paid off a couple years before that, never missed or was late on a payment etc. There was the credit card from years before.  I was confused.

He told me they needed to see at least 2-3 active lines of credit.  Told me to open some credit cards, buy a new car, etc.  I was absolutely stunned.  “You mean to tell me, the fact that I’ve lived without credit cards, below my means, have a decent job and cash savings isn’t enough for me to get a loan!?!??”  Nope.  Sure wasn’t.  I needed to open credit cards and pay off my Netflix balance monthly for 2 years to build credit.  THEN I was someone who they could feel comfortable loaning money to…

You live and you learn I guess, but they definitely aren’t going to look at your situation and apply common sense.  It’s just checking boxes and FICO scores it seems.

It's a genuinely hilarious, in a cartoonish way...sort of system.  Designed entirely counterintuitively...to punish people who just buy stuff, live within their means, and aspire to one day...own something tangible.  While rewarding people who either accidentally live on means well above their head via constant credit and borrowing...or mostly just favor people with substantial mounds of generational wealth to put up as down payments or collateral.

It's almost like this idea of infinite growth within a finite system has a flaw somewhere.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Tugboat said:

It's a genuinely hilarious, in a cartoonish way...sort of system.  Designed entirely counterintuitively...to punish people who just buy stuff, live within their means, and aspire to one day...own something tangible.  While rewarding people who either accidentally live on means well above their head via constant credit and borrowing...or mostly just favor people with substantial mounds of generational wealth to put up as down payments or collateral.

It's almost like this idea of infinite growth within a finite system has a flaw somewhere.

The part that irks me is just how little of this basic info is (or was anyway) imparted to young people.

Like, I spent years in school learning all kinds of ish that to this day has yet to be necessary.  Algebra, trig, etc, all kinds of literary nonsense, etc., but no one ever bothered to teach us how to file taxes, build credit, use credit effectively, anything about retirement savings, how our healthcare system works, etc.

I get maybe they just assume you’ll learn that in life as you need it, but I sure wish I had known that stuff and figured out sine, cosine and tangents if and when I needed it later.

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

The part that irks me is just how little of this basic info is (or was anyway) imparted to young people.

Like, I spent years in school learning all kinds of ish that to this day has yet to be necessary.  Algebra, trig, etc, all kinds of literary nonsense, etc., but no one ever bothered to teach us how to file taxes, build credit, use credit effectively, anything about retirement savings, how our healthcare system works, etc.

I get maybe they just assume you’ll learn that in life as you need it, but I sure wish I had known that stuff and figured out sine, cosine and tangents if and when I needed it later.

I remember having a mandatory "life skills" class in HS.  And it touched on...approximately, NONE of this.  At all.  It was just a class where everyone goofed around and they "taught" us about "balancing budgets".  Abstract of any reality...

Lifelong debtors are what the system is built on though.  So...we probably shouldn't reveal that, in Act I.

Edited by Tugboat
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, Tugboat said:

I remember having a mandatory "life skills" class in HS.  And it touched on...approximately, NONE of this.  At all.  It was just a class where everyone goofed around and they "taught" us about "balancing budgets".  Abstract of any reality...

Same. “Here’s how to balance a checkbook”.  Great info in 2021 btw.

4 minutes ago, Tugboat said:

Lifelong debtors are what the system is built on though.  So...we probably shouldn't reveal that, in Act I.

I mean, o get where you’re going with this and you’re not wrong, but it’s also why teaching this stuff is so important.

Most people are going to have multiple forms of debt in their lives.  How you manage it is make or break.  Understanding debt and how it can work for you is essential, but here we are still telling kids stories about wars from 200 years ago or doing book reviews…

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, Tugboat said:

Ya'll get to program your TI-86 calculators though?  That was pretty valuable.  I'm pretty sure i could definitely do that now.  To calculate whatever that was calculating.

The only thing I could do now is type out 55378008 so if you hold it upside down it looks like “boobless”.

10 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Same. “Here’s how to balance a checkbook”.  Great info in 2021 btw.

I mean, o get where you’re going with this and you’re not wrong, but it’s also why teaching this stuff is so important.

Most people are going to have multiple forms of debt in their lives.  How you manage it is make or break.  Understanding debt and how it can work for you is essential, but here we are still telling kids stories about wars from 200 years ago or doing book reviews…

Yeah.  It's a system built entirely on debt.  

It's something i was never taught in school.  Heck, studying politics, history, and economics in college still never really touched on it.

I'm a big believer in the idea of history as informative context.  Telling "stories" about wars from 200 years ago can be useful.  But it's all about context, and application.

If this is going to be the system...it's downright abusive, to continue to not mention or explain it at all.  That said...this latest generation seems to already somehow be hardened against it.  Kids who grew up with parents fighting this reality i guess?  idk.  But kids these days seem to already somehow understand that what the previous generation was taught...was mostly a lie.

Edited by Tugboat
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

The indictment of education...I could go on for hours, and I'm right on basically all of it. To those of you who disagree with me, I can assure you that you're wrong and I'm right. If anyone thinks that I'm arrogant here, you're entitled to your opinion. That said, it boils down to a few things:

1. Legislators dictate what is required to teach on a curriculum level. The irony of a bunch of bureaucrats mandating pedagogical concepts to the degree that they do is beyond asinine. As a result, you get a few things:

A. Educational Gaps. TL;DR: If you didn't learn how to write cursive in the 2nd grade, you'll never learn. The same holds for telling time in 1st grade, doing long division in 4th grade, as well as various reading and mathematical skills.

B. Absurd overlap elsewhere. TL;DR: We teach about WWII 3 times in HS, and the last time students get the American Civil War is in 8th grade. Ignorance begets ignorance here in various cross sectional educational fields

2. Kids get rammed through. TL;DR: No Child Left Behind, Race to the Top, The 3rd Grade Reading Guarantee...it's all the same. Since the universal standards are IMPOSSIBLE FOR EVERY KID, loopholes must be created, and these loopholes continue to ram kids through. To the extreme, this means illiterate HS graduates (not joking) and a variety of other social and educational fallout factors. 

3. Funding is a mess. TL;DR: Since funding is tied directly to the report cards of local districts, "what's best for students" often means being able to function going forward, so that short term "what's best for students" ceases to exist. For example, part of each Ohio school report card is whether or not kids have graduated from college within 5 years (You read that correctly. The HS is responsible for them after they exit.) Newsflash: When did college become the end all/be all? What about trade schools? What about being functioning members of society elsewhere? I need a certified electrician/plumber/mechanic/HVAC technician/Dental Hygienist on a REGULAR basis, and they make good money too. Why waste 4 years of your life and get into student debt (or "washout" of college)? 

4. As a byproduct of all of the above, actual things that should be taught/learned are neglected. Compound interest, retirement, financial planning, credit, and debt are completely ignored outside of elective classes that students MAY or MAY NOT take. The same goes for DIY classes that would be beneficial to 90% of home owners, such as shop, electricity, and home maintenance (all offered where I teach).

5. I won't even get into what education has become, which is a societal "catch all" for all of society's shortcomings (poverty, hunger, abuse, neglect, mental health). And, to be honest, if we want to be like "the rest of the world" we are "behind academically", then let's do what they do:

Make HS a college prep with rigor and expectations, and if you aren't successful after Junior High/Middle School, you are funneled into a trade school instead. And, you can still "rebound" and attend a 2 or 4 year institution, but that's not your primary goal.

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, Tugboat said:

Yeah.  It's a system built entirely on debt.  

It's something i was never taught in school.  Heck, studying politics, history, and economics in college still never really touched on it.

I'm a big believer in the idea of history as informative context.  Telling "stories" about wars from 200 years ago can be useful.  But it's all about context, and application.

Of course.

3 minutes ago, Tugboat said:

If this is going to be the system...it's downright abusive, to continue to not mention or explain it at all.  That said...this latest generation seems to already somehow be hardened against it.  Kids who grew up with parents fighting this reality i guess?  idk.  But kids these days seem to already somehow understand that what the previous generation was taught...was mostly a lie.

Gen X started pointing things out, Millennials a whole bunch more stuff, zoomers are having none of any of it. 

Boomers still believe it all by and large.

14 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

The only thing I could do now is type out 55378008 so if you hold it upside down it looks like “boobless”.

This is beyond me.  So i'm going to assume that your education with said device was definitely worthwhile.  And contributed to you being a productive uh...person who...uh...types boobless in calculators all day.  To expedite productivity.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Of course.

Gen X started pointing things out, Millennials a whole bunch more stuff, zoomers are having none of any of it. 

While you aren't wrong here, Boomers still believe it all because it worked for them and that's how it was for them. The correlation/causation argument here rings true unbelievably, and it's unbelievably frustrating.

As a millennial who graduated from college in the middle of a recession and had to grind for several years before being able to get a full time job, the reality is crystal clear. The irony of the boomers pounding the "plan ahead" drum while telling sob stories about why they can't retire when they knew Medicare/Medicaid was always 65 and how you should have your house paid off by the time you're going to retire (or at least have a plan) while they whine about it driving their $55,000 brand new truck is truly hysterical to me.

Throw in how the boomers who hire you want to pay you in experience instead of pay like when they were 18, you get the ultimate paradox.

Being entitled isn't a millennial issue. It's a humanity issue that manifests itself differently in each generation.

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Of course.

GenX is such a weird one though.  Out in the field, they're almost impossible to pick apart from Boomers most of the time.