What are you thinking about?

pwny

27 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

What do you mean about this part?

Oh sorry, I meant I was looking at solar panels+EV if I bought a house in the area. I could get just an EV, but I'd be paying for the electricity from the wind grid so it worked out that the gas is cheaper for now.

And this is more specific, but since I'm more rural now and live in a colder climate, I'm a bit concerned about the range as the car ages during the winter given that I would need it to consistently drive longer distances.

It's tempting, but I'm guessing it'll be another generation before it makes financial sense to switch over. Ideally I can drive my current car into the ground and skip the intermediate new gas car though.

Edited by ramssuperbowl99
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

Does anyone here have an EV car and also solar panels? Is it worth it to go that route?

I've read numerous articles that say the cost savings from gas much outweighs the increased electrical cost if you buy an EV, but my friend's Uncle said it's not cheaper to have a Tesla because his electricity bill out weighed it...

Didn't know whether to put this in the car thread or the house thread lol

I wanted solar panels and a geothermal unit, but in Ohio we are like 20 years away from that making financial sense given the break even point combined with the unit replacements…which is a bummer. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

Does anyone here have an EV car and also solar panels? Is it worth it to go that route?

I've read numerous articles that say the cost savings from gas much outweighs the increased electrical cost if you buy an EV, but my friend's Uncle said it's not cheaper to have a Tesla because his electricity bill out weighed it...

You also have to add in the reduced cost of maintenance over the years of sn EV over a combustion engine.

What state do you live in? What company is your utility provider?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Oh sorry, I meant I was looking at solar panels+EV if I bought a house in the area. I could get just an EV, but I'd be paying for the electricity from the wind grid so it worked out that the gas is cheaper for now.

And this is more specific, but since I'm more rural now and live in a colder climate, I'm a bit concerned about the range as the car ages during the winter given that I would need it to consistently drive longer distances.

It's tempting, but I'm guessing it'll be another generation before it makes financial sense to switch over. Ideally I can drive my current car into the ground and skip the intermediate new gas car though.

Gotcha.

Yeah for me an EV almost makes too much sense since I am at home 99% of the day, and the other 1% of the day is driving to/from the gym which is <15 minutes away from my house.

6 hours ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

Gotcha.

Yeah for me an EV almost makes too much sense since I am at home 99% of the day, and the other 1% of the day is driving to/from the gym which is <15 minutes away from my house.

Interesting. Ironically this is the exact reason I have contemplated getting a truck. Good chance I end up WFH 4 days a week, so as opposed to my previous 25 minute/20 mile commute where I need(ed) my 2010 Focus with ~32 mpg, getting a truck that I only drive once a week might make sense.

Granted, I do gardening, wood working, and landscaping, so I’d actually need/use it for hauling loads of compost, rocks, lumber, etc.

Nothing fancy, just a decent used 4 door with a bed. Maybe not for a while but down the road.

4 hours ago, MWil23 said:

Interesting. Ironically this is the exact reason I have contemplated getting a truck. Good chance I end up WFH 4 days a week, so as opposed to my previous 25 minute/20 mile commute where I need(ed) my 2010 Focus with ~32 mpg, getting a truck that I only drive once a week might make sense.

Granted, I do gardening, wood working, and landscaping, so I’d actually need/use it for hauling loads of compost, rocks, lumber, etc.

Nothing fancy, just a decent used 4 door with a bed. Maybe not for a while but down the road.

Yeah see that makes total sense to me. For me, I'd rather just like not ever pay for gas and I don't really haul anything so the car I have now (BMW X5 M) is fun as hell to drive but chews through gas like a mofo and I don't need a big SUV for just myself and my dog lol

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

Yeah see that makes total sense to me. For me, I'd rather just like not ever pay for gas and I don't really haul anything so the car I have now (BMW X5 M) is fun as hell to drive but chews through gas like a mofo and I don't need a big SUV for just myself and my dog lol

Yeah, I also need the capacity to have 3 kids in all vehicles 😂 

• Like 2

On 6/7/2023 at 10:03 AM, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

I have both, though I also have a hybrid car. 

The gas and maintenance savings are notable. Hard to say on the electric because I put the panels on the house less than 6 months after buying, so I don't really have a point of comparison. Last month the electric bill was $45 but the month before $120. And I have a pretty good size system. But I also have a pool, and the pump can be a bit of an energy hog. Also have to run air a lot.

But I'm in Vegas, so this stuff makes a ton of sense for me

• Like 4