What are you thinking about?

pwny

On 7/6/2023 at 3:13 PM, ET80 said:

Are we certain this isn’t some Sasha Baron Cohen character?

https://www.nytimes.com/live/2023/07/06/world/russia-ukraine-news?smid=url-share#prigozhin-is-in-russia-lukashenko-says-in-contrast-with-his-earlier-claims

A Pentagon official who spoke on the condition of anonymity because of the sensitivity of the situation later confirmed that Mr. Prigozhin had been in Russia, between Moscow and St. Petersburg, during most of the period since the mutiny. The official said it was unclear if Mr. Prigozhin had ever gone to Belarus because he apparently uses body doubles to mask his movements.

Evidence points towards Dwight:

1. Dwight also organized a failed coup

2. giphy.gif?cid=ecf05e47v954127c1928x38d20
  • Like 1

On 7/5/2023 at 5:53 AM, naptownskinsfan said:

On all of the student debt forgiveness stuff, it’s definitely a symptom of a problem that we have, and that people have absolutely no clue about finances, credit, etc.  

I stumbled across a YouTube channel by chance by a guy named Caleb Hammer, and he basically goes through people’s finances and tries to get them on a plan to fix it.  Whether or not the people fix it, I have no idea, because he does put them on a very strict budget, and he’s still pretty new I think so I haven’t seen any “follow up” videos.  But the one he just put out, a 22 year old wanted to buy a Tesla and have a THIRD vehicle because he “thought it was a good investment.”  

Seriously, the amount of people who live day to day, thinking debt is normal and spend a crap-ton of money on DoorDash, coffee and fast food, on top of things like student loans and backlogged credit card debts, is insane.  How some people will get out of it without adding more income like a side hustle is also beyond me…..and even then, on an average income, it’s going to take 2-3 years of “hard” living without much discretionary income. 

Maybe if we start actually teaching finances instead of just the stock market (if that) in school, people will go into the college selection process knowing about loans and how to go about things.  

I think this is more reflective of a deeper problem in society, where companies deliberately seek to put people in debt.  There's a lot more money available to these companies if they can keep a person perpetually on the hook with interest and never really making a dent in the principal.

We can talk about "managing personal finances" and "spending several dollars on avocado toast and a coffee" until we're blue in the face, but the reality is...the "big purchases" in life have become significantly more expensive.  That's where the big impacts are.  In most of the cities where jobs still exist, you aren't touching a home for less than an entire half a fortune.  It's very different from "the good old days" where irritating older people brag about being able to buy a house for like $50 bucks and one pair of used bootstraps.  Everything in society is trending toward "renting" and "leasing" and "debt" without every allowing anyone any reasonable opportunities to build actual equity in anything.

Salaries haven't grown anywhere near proportionately to the cost of home ownership or even rent.  There's a very deliberate, concerted effort to make people stay poor and stay indebted.

Financial literacy is also deliberately lacking.  That's part of it.  People are intentionally groomed to be neverending forever consumers, permanently in debt.  But just understanding finances doesn't change the reality that people are spending most of their take home pay on just finding a reasonable place to live, and somewhat decent food to eat.

Frankly...if someone is buying a THIRD vehicle and it's a Tesla, they're a spoiled brat who really should know better, and probably has the resources to resolve their issue in a snap if they need to.  I think that's a wholly misleading anecdotal example to base any broader impression on.  I think that's probably a deliberately misleading instance feeding on some weird old person angst about how "kids these days complain about finances" when the actual statistics show ever increasing debt loads, even for a lot of "wise old people".

I think most younger people are actually a lot more financially savvy than given credit for.  They survive paycheque to paycheque on relative wages that would've absolutely completely and totally destroyed most condescending Boomer and Gen-X financial kings.  I get the sense a lot of these people who gripe about financially irresponsible youths have never had to deal with the reality of finding a "career" even after working hard, earning a degree and professional accreditations, with a pay scale that has them living hand-to-mouth.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Sad People said:

"Pretending to be a firecracker" lmao Only in Florida

I don’t see how anyone in Florida complains about the stuff that happens in Florida. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Tugboat said:

I think this is more reflective of a deeper problem in society, where companies deliberately seek to put people in debt. 

Not really.

Financial literacy is also deliberately lacking.

That is the core of the problem which leads to.......

Salaries haven't grown anywhere near proportionately to the cost of home ownership or even rent.

Every society has its cherished myths. In the USA it is the belief that housing is a good financial investment. After people  buy houses they do everything possible to drive  the resale value up.   

NIMBY

3 hours ago, Ty21 said:

I don’t see how anyone in Florida complains about the stuff that happens in Florida. 

Its Florida man theyre delusional. Someone i know of says Florida is the "taint" on the United States and i couldnt agree more lol 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, TVScout said:

Not really.

That is the core of the problem which leads to.......

Every society has its cherished myths. In the USA it is the belief that housing is a good financial investment. After people  buy houses they do everything possible to drive  the resale value up.   

NIMBY

It’s a good investment if you don’t drive yourself house-poor, which is what many people do.  

To the original response to me, I do agree that it’s a big business to keep people in debt.  That’s a big problem that financial literacy would solve.  Combine a restraint in avocado toast and DoorDash, and being smart with early debts like a car, young adults can put themselves in a much better place.  

• Like 1