What are you thinking about?

pwny

21 hours ago, TVScout said:

What irony? That the author was a college professor who blew the whistle on the racket that is education in the USA?

Why not? Are you the font of all knowledge and wisdom?

Trade school teaches none of that. Trade schools exist to prevent the economy from collapsing. All prep schools do is offer a few more AP classes. 

You are a former teacher. Why did you leave?

People who I went to high school with spent money on worthless degrees, or attempting to get one, and ended up going into a trade or another field where their degree means nothing.  I know a dude who spent SIX years at WVU partying it up, and he sells cars/Harleys.  Has made a decent living for himself, but he didn’t need to go to college to do that.  

I am also seeing an increased number of job openings asking for degrees OR experience, which young adults can get by working out of high school.   Guess what the bonus to working is?  You’re already making money, and don’t have the debt to pay off.  

22 hours ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Let us know if you're still confused.

I am confused about nothing. The most important thing that exists is the economy. The most important part of the economy is money. The most important right anybody has is to earn money. The education system in the USA is less than worthless because it seeks to indoctrinate students into believing otherwise.

2 hours ago, naptownskinsfan said:

People who I went to high school with spent money on worthless degrees, or attempting to get one, and ended up going into a trade or another field where their degree means nothing.  I know a dude who spent SIX years at WVU partying it up, and he sells cars/Harleys.  Has made a decent living for himself, but he didn’t need to go to college to do that.  

I am also seeing an increased number of job openings asking for degrees OR experience, which young adults can get by working out of high school.   Guess what the bonus to working is?  You’re already making money, and don’t have the debt to pay off.  

A friend in IT has a really good paying job, and she doesn't have a degree. 

I'll be graduating in December with my AAS in the same field, and I'll be graduating with about $25k in debt. What I wouldn't give to go back to 18 year old me and tell myself to do things differently. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, naptownskinsfan said:

*reading this running a seafood company with a music degree.

giphy.gif

• Like 4

1 hour ago, TVScout said:

I am confused about nothing. The most important thing that exists is the economy. The most important part of the economy is money. The most important right anybody has is to earn money. The education system in the USA is less than worthless because it seeks to indoctrinate students into believing otherwise.

The fact that somehow you believe money is more important than life and liberty is nothing short of hilarious. Even according to Locke, pursuing property is a distant third.

If money was everything, you would not see people leaving professions that work them to the bone but compensate them well.

See: UPS strike vote at 97%

17 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Totally normal. The more I work, the more frequently I see stuff like that and the more rare the "I graduated with an accounting degree and I'm an accountant" people are.

I graduated with an education degree and work on negotiating and closing contracts in a team setting as a civilian for the USAF.

Yeah, my 4 year degree plus masters helped and looked good, but they didn’t care about my major ironically.

Turns out, teachers have communication and technology skills that universally translate, so getting trained in logistics while possessing the other tools is a selling point.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, PARROTHEAD said:

For me. Looks like Steven Tyler slipped Dave Grohl a mickey and 9 months later...

MV5BODk4MjU0Y2UtOTY5Zi00NTA1LWFjYWQtNmNm

Wrong singer.  That's some new dude.  I'm talking the old one, Lou Gramm:

LouGramm800Getty_5_23.jpg

Edited by Daniel

9 hours ago, MWil23 said:

The fact that somehow you believe money is more important than life and liberty is nothing short of hilarious.

Boy do you have things backwards. The major part of liberty is liberty. People earn money in order to live. People who don't earn money are risk to die naked starving and homeless. 

9 hours ago, MWil23 said:

If money was everything ....

Did you just intentionally misquote? I never wrote anything of the sort. 

8 hours ago, TVScout said:

Did you just intentionally misquote? I never wrote anything of the sort. 

20 hours ago, TVScout said:

I am confused about nothing. The most important thing that exists is the economy. The most important part of the economy is money. The most important right anybody has is to earn money.

20 hours ago, MWil23 said:

I graduated with an education degree and work on negotiating and closing contracts in a team setting as a civilian for the USAF.

Yeah, my 4 year degree plus masters helped and looked good, but they didn’t care about my major ironically.

Turns out, teachers have communication and technology skills that universally translate, so getting trained in logistics while possessing the other tools is a selling point.

You're going into a civilian government/military job? Oh man, get ready for the best, but also most uneventful, job of your life. It rules.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, minutemancl said:

You're going into a civilian government/military job? Oh man, get ready for the best, but also most uneventful, job of your life. It rules.

I’m Ron Swanson-ing it that’s for sure.

I know it will be super steep on the learning curve portion, but the pay, benefits, and opportunities are too good to pass up on, and there are so many different avenues I can go down (contracting, logistics, security, finance, etc.) if this doesn’t end up being fulfilling.

Opportunities for promotions, I got a signing bonus, and even then I’ve already networked in the private sector with a friend who is a VP who said “call me in 3 years” who likely would pay me 50% more.

Granted, I’m going to have to balance that bump with the better life fringe benefits I am getting right now, like work from home 4 days per week, flexible hours, pension and employer match contributions, paid workout time 3 days per week, federal holidays and PTO, etc.

• Like 2