What are you thinking about?

pwny

On 9/12/2023 at 10:15 AM, beekay414 said:

F51EsomXgAApL56?format=jpg&name=900x900

I get the joke, but having insurance would most likely stop someone from going bankrupt because their maximum out of pocket costs would probably be under $10,000. If they had major services which caused them to reach their max, they could work out a payment plan for it. The same services without insurance would cost a whole lot more and could bankrupt someone.

Edited by JohnChimpo

1 hour ago, JohnChimpo said:

I get the joke, but having insurance would most likely stop someone from going bankrupt because their maximum out of pocket costs would probably be under $10,000. If they had major services which caused them to reach their max, they could work out a payment plan for it. The same services without insurance would cost a whole lot more and could bankrupt someone.

You’re assuming most people can afford a payment plan. Which based on recent reports, most can’t. 

10 minutes ago, D82 said:

You’re assuming most people can afford a payment plan. Which based on recent reports, most can’t. 

In my area, the hospital systems usually offer financial assistance for people with low incomes, but that’s probably not the case everywhere.

Edited by JohnChimpo

1 hour ago, JohnChimpo said:

Unless they have a health issue that crosses over the year, in which case you can double that amount. Or if they max out both the out of network and in network deductible, which is pretty much inevitable if you need surgery or get referrals.

I have entirely average American health insurance ($5,500 in network OOP max, $9,500 out of network OOP max). That means I need to keep 2x that sum, or $30,000 as an emergency fund solely for health expenses. That would absolutely bankrupt the average American. It's completely insane.

And honestly that's as basic as it gets. That doesn't include expenses for all of the other little things. Maybe they need medical transport that isn't covered. Maybe they need a non-generic prescription and they keep getting denied. Maybe they can't work as much and have a gap in their workman's comp (there almost always is).

Edited by ramssuperbowl99
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Unless they have a health issue that crosses over the year, in which case you can double that amount. Or if they max out both the out of network and in network deductible, which is pretty much inevitable if you need surgery or get referrals.

I have entirely average American health insurance ($5,500 in network OOP max, $9,500 out of network OOP max). That means I need to keep 2x that sum, or $30,000 as an emergency fund solely for health expenses. That would absolutely bankrupt the average American. It's completely insane.

And honestly that's as basic as it gets. That doesn't include expenses for all of the other little things. Maybe they need medical transport that isn't covered. Maybe they need a non-generic prescription and they keep getting denied. Maybe they can't work as much and have a gap in their workman's comp (there almost always is).

I said “most likely” and “probably.” I should’ve chosen better words, but I never said it couldn’t happen. I’ll try to remember to come back and clarify my thoughts when I have more time. Medical care should not cost nearly as much as it does, but in general, insurance is going to help people avoid bankruptcy in a case like that. Imagine how much that same care would cost without insurance or any other financial assistance.

4 minutes ago, JohnChimpo said:

I said “most likely” and “probably.” I should’ve chosen better words, but I never said it couldn’t happen. I’ll try to remember to come back and clarify my thoughts when I have more time. Medical care should not cost nearly as much as it does, but in general, insurance is going to help people avoid bankruptcy in a case like that. Imagine how much that same care would cost without insurance or any other financial assistance.

Yeah this is at least partially a generational thing too.

My friends are having kids right now, and in almost all instances they're having the appointments carry over into 2 years, so $15-20k all in for having a child isn't abnormal any more. And they aren't bums or anything, they're 6-figure, dual income professional types who are legitimately struggling to afford starting what would look like a totally normal middle class family.

This changed maybe a decade ago, so if your social circle hasn't been having kids you may just not know about how nuts it's gotten. I also know people in their early 40's who paid like a $50 co-pay for their kid's birth and that was it.

21 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

My friends are having kids right now, and in almost all instances they're having the appointments carry over into 2 years, so $15-20k all in for having a child isn't abnormal any more. And they aren't bums or anything, they're 6-figure, dual income professional types who are legitimately struggling to afford starting what would look like a totally normal middle class family.

This changed maybe a decade ago, so if your social circle hasn't been having kids you may just not know about how nuts it's gotten. I also know people in their early 40's who paid like a $50 co-pay for their kid's birth and that was it.

I hear you. We paid around $4-6000 when my son was born. We specifically chose the plan that would have given us the lowest out of pocket costs for a pregnancy and got lucky that the majority of the services occurred in one year.

Edited by JohnChimpo
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, Ty21 said:

The guy in my avy just got exposed on Reddit for being an egotist that had sex with his stepsister during Covid times. It’s probably time to hunt for a new avy 

If hes an egotist. Why would he need to be "exposed" for anything? Wouldnt he have been shouting it all along himself? Like I do.

3 minutes ago, PARROTHEAD said:

If hes an egotist. Why would he need to be "exposed" for anything? Wouldnt he have been shouting it all along himself? Like I do.

Im just repeating the words of some people on Reddit. He was claimed to be as such as a D List celebrity, and he either boasted or merely admitted to banging his step sister “in confusing times” during Covid lol. 

26 minutes ago, Ty21 said:

Im just repeating the words of some people on Reddit. He was claimed to be as such as a D List celebrity, and he either boasted or merely admitted to banging his step sister “in confusing times” during Covid lol. 

You say that knowing that if either of us were in JTs position on that show "Step By Step".....

2940013848269_p0_v1_s1200x630.jpg

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

😳

I didn't pay close to that for when we had our kid last year, but I had pretty good health insurance (I'm super happy to have even better coverage now. Federal employee benefits are fantastic). I think we paid around $5-6k altogether out of pocket for the 9 months of appointments and the birth, and that includes a NICU stay.