What are you thinking about?

pwny

On 10/3/2023 at 10:32 AM, TVScout said:

No matter who got what money dumping trillions of fiat currency into the economy will eventually affect everything. Money does not vanish after it is spent. 

You're operating under the mistaken assumption that fiat money is finite.  It is not.

They can just keep printing as much more as they want.  It's a measure entirely divorced from the product of labour.  It has no concrete, tangible attachment to reality other than as the tether between inflation and other theoretical currency trends...and nobody having enough of it ever.

On 10/5/2023 at 12:28 PM, AkronsWitness said:

You can take your *** to Home Depot and for about $750-1,000 buy enough paint for 2-3 rooms, new faucets for each bathroom vanity, new showerheads and 5-10 new light switch covers. For under a grand you can seriously make you house look 10x newer and more modern.

People are just lazy or dont care from what I have toured and seen.

If your still rocking $2 white plastic light switch covers in every room, I better see you at Home Depot this weekend lol They cost like $10-15 a piece for something that actually looks modern and it is very noticeable once you replace them.

The thing about this is, yes...it's easy to make cosmetic tweaks to a place.  But real estate value is fundamentally driven by forces that are far more important than like, "this dude went to home depot and put in a decent showerhead here".

At the end of the day, it depends hugely on where you are and what your market is like.  But in a lot of markets...changing out light switch covers and plumbing fixtures is going to net you...precisely about nothing whatsoever.  Places tend to be worth what their location and overall value says they are.  Nobody is paying $10k more for nice lightswitches.

If you're just intending to live in a place though?  Absolutely.  Huge change for very few dollars with little stuff like that.  Light fixtures.  Paint, etc.

4 hours ago, Tugboat said:

At the end of the day, it depends hugely on where you are and what your market is like.  But in a lot of markets...changing out light switch covers and plumbing fixtures is going to net you...precisely about nothing whatsoever.  Places tend to be worth what their location and overall value says they are.  Nobody is paying $10k more for nice lightswitches.

Those kinds of things may not get you any value but will help you get an offer faster. 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, skywindO2 said:

Those kinds of things may not get you any value but will help you get an offer faster. 

Same with landscaping and curb appeal. If you’re sinking money into something, do something to add value like a kitchen or bathroom renovation.

If you have to do things to help sell but won’t add value, do them as cheap as possible, like a neutral paint, generic mulch in flower beds, etc.

2 hours ago, skywindO2 said:

Yeah, its certainly not going to add physical value to the house but its going to make people who tour your house more likely to submit an offer and maybe even some bid higher than others. We sold our house last year for example...

Throughout the process we updates/replaced everything we could that wasnt crazy prices. Repainted every room, added ambient LED lighting/smart home features, all vanity faucets replaced, driveway freshly sealed, garage door repainted, ect.

The result: We got multiple offers and the highest being 17k over asking. Our little 1,300 sq foot ranch which was smaller than 90% of the houses in the neighborhood sold for more money than any other house around us did during the whole housing boom of 2019-2022

The little stuff matters because if you dont replace it, the people touring your house view that as more work and a added expense they need to do upon moving in. 

Edited by AkronsWitness

6 hours ago, Tugboat said:

They can just keep printing as much more as they want.  It's a measure entirely divorced from the product of labour.  It has no concrete, tangible attachment to reality other than as the tether between inflation and other theoretical currency trends...and nobody having enough of it ever.

I already know all of that. Inflation will continue as long as fiat currency continues to be printed. When the presses are switched off the inflation will stop when equilibrium is achieved.

1 hour ago, TVScout said:

I already know all of that. Inflation will continue as long as fiat currency continues to be printed. When the presses are switched off the inflation will stop when equilibrium is achieved.

That's not how fiat money works though.

Completely stopping the printing of new currency would be hilarious.  But also completely topple the entire world upsidedown.

Edited by Tugboat

4 hours ago, skywindO2 said:

Really depends on the market i guess.  I wouldn't do **** here.  Anyone is going to be looking at a full gut turnaround, or just...putting in their own new lightswitch covers and paint.  Every market is different though.

3 hours ago, MWil23 said:

Same with landscaping and curb appeal. If you’re sinking money into something, do something to add value like a kitchen or bathroom renovation.

If you have to do things to help sell but won’t add value, do them as cheap as possible, like a neutral paint, generic mulch in flower beds, etc.

I've been watching and mostly laughing as some hapless fools try to flip a house on the same street as another one that just came up for sale, without being touched whatsoever.  I walk past them often.

Guaranteed the cheaper unimproved house sells first.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Tugboat said:

The thing about this is, yes...it's easy to make cosmetic tweaks to a place.  But real estate value is fundamentally driven by forces that are far more important than like, "this dude went to home depot and put in a decent showerhead here".

If you're just intending to live in a place though?  Absolutely.  Huge change for very few dollars with little stuff like that.  Light fixtures.  Paint, etc.

My wife's first remark about the house we eventually bought was that she loved the kitchen sink faucet. It's one of those Delta pull down types.

I get what you're saying though

Edited by adamq

4 hours ago, minutemancl said:

I knew student loan repayment was going to affect us, but damn I didn't know it would be this bad. Mine are negligible, but my wife's loans are costing us over a grand a month now. That's what you get for getting a degree to get a job that helps the elderly, I guess.

I'm looking at going back for my PhD (already was before student loans started back up) since I work for the state and can apply for the PSLF (loan forgiveness). 

-Set up the loans so they are as low as possible up front, 

- Make the qualified monthly payments while working and doing my program

- Finish program and continue making payments

- take half courseload every other semester to keep loans in deferment

- after 10 years hopefully all is loans are forgiven

- hope I didn't bone myself by doing all the extra lol

Actually, does your wife qualify for the PSLF in any way? 

Edited by Sugashane
  • Like 1