What are you thinking about?

pwny

5 hours ago, minutemancl said:

I find it is the opposite. Youtube's algorithm, at least for me, is garbage. Without fail, it ends up putting me in a hole of those incredibly stupid, wannabe billionaire finance guys and right wing propaganda. I've never watched, or wanted to watch, any of that.

When I watch IG reels, I get videos about food, dad stuff, or lawncare, which is perfect.

I’d be curious to learn if YouTube has 2 separate algorithms- one for shorts and one for regular videos. The suggested videos I get for regular videos are mostly on point and seems to feed off what I’m watching. If I go down a rabbit hole looking at older psych rock videos looking for samples, I’ll get those suggested. 

But sometimes the shorts will be a slice of something in particular like car chases or ppl being pulled over by cops with body cam footage. And as much as I hit “don’t recommend channel” it doesn’t work. At least for that day. 

The only upside for this happening on either YouTube or IG is that it prompts me to close the app and quit watching.  The easiest way to stop watching stupid crap is being spoon fed it lol. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, minutemancl said:

We need a dad thread. Someone should get on that.

Anyone else have a toddler that loves to sleep? Knock on wood, but unless my kid is sick, he is sleeping at least 12 hours every night, uninterrupted. 7pm to 7am at least. It's after 8am right now and the kid is still fast asleep and snoring. Granted, he is a ball of energy every waking moment; running, throwing, playing, and eating is all he does when he is awake. He's not one to sit down and watch tv or anything else. I thought every toddler was like that though, and I don't think I've ever met another one that sleeps as well as this kid does.

My son was kind of like that. He has pretty bad ADHD that was later diagnosed but it was hilarious to see how quick he would transition between sleeping and Tasmanian Devil. Kid literally would fall asleep mid-sentence once he is was in bed. He'd sleep straight through and rarely wake up, but once he was up there was almost no chance of getting him to sleep again until his nap time. Even when he would take his name he could fall asleep before I got out of the room. lol 

On 6/13/2024 at 8:19 AM, minutemancl said:

We need a dad thread. Someone should get on that.

Anyone else have a toddler that loves to sleep? Knock on wood, but unless my kid is sick, he is sleeping at least 12 hours every night, uninterrupted. 7pm to 7am at least. It's after 8am right now and the kid is still fast asleep and snoring. Granted, he is a ball of energy every waking moment; running, throwing, playing, and eating is all he does when he is awake. He's not one to sit down and watch tv or anything else. I thought every toddler was like that though, and I don't think I've ever met another one that sleeps as well as this kid does.

Both of mine are like that.  I have a 1 year old and a 3 year old, and both have been awesome sleepers.  Outside of the rare occurrences you're talking about with illness, or something really throwing their routine off.  I've heard so many horror stories about friend's/family's kids not sleeping, but we haven't really dealt with much of that, at all.  At least past the first month or two. Makes me really grateful, because that would wear on you over time.  I always had people tell me how lucky I was with how the oldest slept, so there was no way the second was going to sleep like that, but she might be an even better sleeper. 

I have to wake my oldest up way more frequently than her waking me up.  Same with naps.  My wife and I accidently slept in until 10 a few weeks ago, and both kids were still asleep with no alerts from their monitors.  They each slept over 14 hours.  The 3 year old hates actually going to bed, or being put down for a nap, but once she lays down and closes her eyes, she's out.  12 hours through the night, 3 hour naps. The youngest barely ever fights going to sleep.  She seems almost excited to get put down in her crib lol.  Makes me almost nervous for what they'll be like as teenagers with how much they seem to enjoy sleep now.  Both kind of wake up slow, so I might eventually be dealing with the opposite problem, but for now, I'm thankful.

Edited by OkeyDoke21
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, OkeyDoke21 said:

Both of mine are like that.  I have a 1 year old and a 3 year old, and both have been awesome sleepers.  Outside of the rare occurrences you're talking about with illness, or something really throwing their routine off.  I always hear so many horror stories about friend's/family's kids not sleeping, but we haven't really dealt with much of that, at all.  At least past the first month or two. Makes me really grateful, because that would wear on you over time.  I always had people tell me how lucky I was with how the oldest slept, so there was no way the second was going to sleep like that, but she might be an even better sleeper. 

I have to wake my oldest up way more frequently than her waking me up.  Same with naps.  My wife and I accidently slept in until 10 a few weeks ago, and both kids were still asleep with no alerts from their monitors.  They each slept over 14 hours.  The 3 year old hates actually going to bed, or being put down for a nap, but once she lays down and closes her eyes, she's out.  12 hours through the night, 3 hour naps. The youngest barely ever fights going to sleep.  She seems almost excited to get put down in her crib lol.  Makes me almost nervous for what they'll be like as teenagers with how much they seem to enjoy sleep now.  Both kind of wake up slow, so I might eventually be dealing with the opposite problem, but for now, I'm thankful.

That's exactly how my kid is. He had the classic wake to feed moments as an infant, and did go through the classic sleep regressions right when he was supposed to, but other than that he has been an incredible sleeper. And when he does wake up before us, he peacefully and quietly plays in his crib until we wake up. It is such an incredible thing that I'm worried something else about his personality is going to bite us in the butt hard down the line lol. Maybe it is just that we'll be victims of high schoolers who sleep through home room at least once a week or something lol. It's good to hear another parent with a similar case though. 

• Like 1

After wondering if I've had it for a long time, I finally (at 34) got diagnosed with ADHD. Honestly explains so much. 

Hoping once I'm on meds I'll start to notice a vast improvement in my mood and other areas of life. 

• Like 4

23 minutes ago, D82 said:

After wondering if I've had it for a long time, I finally (at 34) got diagnosed with ADHD. Honestly explains so much. 

Hoping once I'm on meds I'll start to notice a vast improvement in my mood and other areas of life. 

I was diagnosed as a child w it but my parents thought medicating children and turning them into zombies isn’t the move (lame). The effect adderall has on me is Jimmy Neutron brain blast esque  

37 minutes ago, Ty21 said:

I was diagnosed as a child w it but my parents thought medicating children and turning them into zombies isn’t the move (lame). The effect adderall has on me is Jimmy Neutron brain blast esque  

My boys are on it as they also have ADHD. They had some extra (pharmacy made a mistake an refilled early), so I tried one...and holy **** - my brain was actually quiet for the first time in I don't remember how long. Not overthinking every little thing made a huge difference in my mood that day and my kids told me they liked that I was happy (that one hurt). 

I can't wait to get on a consistent regiment. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, D82 said:

My son has a bad case of ADHD and my oldest daughter has a smaller issue with hers. Youngest seems to have none thankfully. But my son was nicknamed Taz growing up and struggled BAD in pre-K, K, and most of 1st grade. I didn't want to put him on anything but knew he was a major issue for others in class and we eventually went and he was diagnosed. They put him on Vyvanse and it was almost within the hour the kid was just at ease. The "homework" we did use to cause fits and he just couldn't get the math down, he use to cry and fight because he couldn't do it. All of a sudden he could keep the numbers straight and kid is a math whiz at 13. Already doing the same math I was doing in high school, and my daughter's reading comprehension scores skyrocketed. 

I know it is overprescribed at times but I am a 100% believer in treating actual ADHD whenever possible. My kids have a quality of life they would have zero chance of without these meds. Hopefully it offers some of the same boosts for you too. 

14 hours ago, Ty21 said:

Like Jimmy Neutron, I always thought you were a high functioning psychopath. lol 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Sugashane said:

My son has a bad case of ADHD and my oldest daughter has a smaller issue with hers. Youngest seems to have none thankfully. But my son was nicknamed Taz growing up and struggled BAD in pre-K, K, and most of 1st grade. I didn't want to put him on anything but knew he was a major issue for others in class and we eventually went and he was diagnosed. They put him on Vyvanse and it was almost within the hour the kid was just at ease. The "homework" we did use to cause fits and he just couldn't get the math down, he use to cry and fight because he couldn't do it. All of a sudden he could keep the numbers straight and kid is a math whiz at 13. Already doing the same math I was doing in high school, and my daughter's reading comprehension scores skyrocketed. 

I know it is overprescribed at times but I am a 100% believer in treating actual ADHD whenever possible. My kids have a quality of life they would have zero chance of without these meds. Hopefully it offers some of the same boosts for you too. 

So my maternal grandmother was bipolar, I'm pretty sure my mom has some ADHD/Bipolar traits, my dad definitely is on the spectrum and probably would have thrived with a diagnosis, my younger brother was diagnosed as ADHD/high-functioning autistic at an early age. 

I think I was just so good at masking and not wanting to cause any issues for anyone that I kinda just faded into the background and never was diagnosed, though I struggled with school subjects if I wasn't interested in them or if they weren't presented in a way which held my interest- when they were, I was a straight A student, when they weren't - well, I fell behind. 

Think that played a big part in my dropping out of HS (along with other things) when I was 16. Though I missed a perfect score on the GED by 3 points and just last fall graduated *** laude with my associates degree in Comp Systems/Network Administration, final semester I had a 4.0 GPA. I just wonder what all I could have done had I been on medication from the get-go. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, D82 said:

Think that played a big part in my dropping out of HS (along with other things) when I was 16. Though I missed a perfect score on the GED by 3 points and just last fall graduated *** laude with my associates degree in Comp Systems/Network Administration, final semester I had a 4.0 GPA. I just wonder what all I could have done had I been on medication from the get-go. 

First, congratulations on your degree. Dropping out of high school then being able to still achieve that is an awesome turnaround.

But don't think you can't do more if you have a goal. I finished my MBA in 2021 and just started my doctorate this Jan. It's a significant pain in the *** but for what I want it is worth it. A lot of programs are now able to be paced more evenly for working adults so if you want to continue to be qualified for a dream job then keep going.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Sugashane said:

First, congratulations on your degree. Dropping out of high school then being able to still achieve that is an awesome turnaround.

But don't think you can't do more if you have a goal. I finished my MBA in 2021 and just started my doctorate this Jan. It's a significant pain in the *** but for what I want it is worth it. A lot of programs are now able to be paced more evenly for working adults so if you want to continue to be qualified for a dream job then keep going.

Thanks! Was nice to finally accomplish. 

I've thought about it - really just depends on how a few things play out. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, D82 said:

So my maternal grandmother was bipolar, I'm pretty sure my mom has some ADHD/Bipolar traits, my dad definitely is on the spectrum and probably would have thrived with a diagnosis, my younger brother was diagnosed as ADHD/high-functioning autistic at an early age. 

I think I was just so good at masking and not wanting to cause any issues for anyone that I kinda just faded into the background and never was diagnosed, though I struggled with school subjects if I wasn't interested in them or if they weren't presented in a way which held my interest- when they were, I was a straight A student, when they weren't - well, I fell behind. 

How did you get diagnosed? Through therapy? That sounds very similar to my school experiece.. around my sophomore/junior year of high school I just stopped caring and coasted through graduation. I know I could have gotten the straight A's and all, but teenage angst took over and I settled for the b's and c's. If it wasn't for my overbearing parents I probably would have left though 

• Like 2

Just now, adamq said:

How did you get diagnosed? Through therapy? That sounds very similar to my school experiece.. around my sophomore/junior year of high school I just stopped caring and coasted through graduation. I know I could have gotten the straight A's and all, but teenage angst took over and I settled for the b's and c's. If it wasn't for my overbearing parents I probably would have left though 

I went and spoke with a psychologist and she diagnosed me after we talked and I kinda told her everything that I've ben dealing with for a long, long time.

• Like 2