WFT expected to part ways with QB Alex Smith

.Buzz

4 hours ago, soflbillsfan said:

You played with a qb having no arm so I think it would be an upgrade

We played with a QB who could still run for his life when he had no-one to throw to. Smith isn't going to be playing meaningful snaps in the NFL next year, he should probably retire. That was obvious to anyone who watched him play.

14 minutes ago, goldfishwars said:

Okay, my guy. You're right. The dude with one leg who got released by a bad football team with no starting QB is a great option for us next year. 

In all seriousness though, who is the option for Pats right now? Would it be Alex Smith, Andy Dalton, Tyrod Taylor, Jacoby...those are essentially your options without giving up the farm to land one of the 3 qbs in the draft who have the best chance of starting right away and even then I wouldn't say wilson or Fields are automatic guarantees to start week 1. Pay Cam to come back and do what he did which is not able to throw the ball? Stidham who couldnt beat out Cam? Maybe you guys like Mac Jones but I think he is just overhyped by media. Outside of that I dont know what you all do at the position. You are a fan so I assume you know more as to who they would be looking at?

2 minutes ago, soflbillsfan said:

In all seriousness though, who is the option for Pats right now? Would it be Alex Smith, Andy Dalton, Tyrod Taylor, Jacoby...those are essentially your options without giving up the farm to land one of the 3 qbs in the draft who have the best chance of starting right away and even then I wouldn't say wilson or Fields are automatic guarantees to start week 1. Pay Cam to come back and do what he did which is not able to throw the ball? Stidham who couldnt beat out Cam? Maybe you guys like Mac Jones but I think he is just overhyped by media. Outside of that I dont know what you all do at the position. You are a fan so I assume you know more as to who they would be looking at?

Cam was an above average deep thrower last year, this idea he didn't have any arm probably comes from his short/intermediate stuff which was bad - but bottom line is who did we give him to throw to last year? Nobody. It's a rebuilding year, so I'd expect selling off more assets and no reaches for players in the draft. We might take one in the 3rd or 4th. We'll probably sign a veteran, it doesn't matter who really. Mariota has been talked about, Cam might be fine again with better weapons, Fitzpatrick might be fine. Whoever it is, will probably split the year with Stidham or a draft pick and we'll be better placed next year to go get someone in the draft. 

2 minutes ago, goldfishwars said:

Cam was an above average deep thrower last year, this idea he didn't have any arm probably comes from his short/intermediate stuff which was bad - but bottom line is who did we give him to throw to last year? Nobody. It's a rebuilding year, so I'd expect selling off more assets and no reaches for players in the draft. We might take one in the 3rd or 4th. We'll probably sign a veteran, it doesn't matter who really. Mariota has been talked about, Cam might be fine again with better weapons, Fitzpatrick might be fine. Whoever it is, will probably split the year with Stidham or a draft pick and we'll be better placed next year to go get someone in the draft. 

The short intermediate stuff is Smith's forte which is why I would assume there would be interest. As he can get it to the RB/TE/Edelman (or other slot receiver if he is gone). I expect a cheaper deal whoever they bring in as you say its going to be another building year for you all. I just dont get the appeal of bringing cam back even if you bring in a couple of weapons he is still inaccurate and will count on running the ball more then anything at this point in his career. Fitzpatrick and Dalton arent bad options but fitz literally gets you wrapped up in issues where you think the game is in the bag and he throws multiple picks. Gunslinger mentality with mediocre arm leads to ugly situations. I do have to admit, it would be hilarious if he does sign with the Pats and start at least one game as he would be the first ever qb to start for each team in the division at one point in his career not to mention start for 9 different teams. 

7 hours ago, Forge said:

I'd lean toward the Jags as well. Obviously he has a history of helping out younger guys, and he and Urbz go way back. His days as a starter are likely done. Just don't think that he can get through 16 games. 

Any chance he could keep Lawrence on the bench for a short while?

12 hours ago, ET80 said:

He started eight last season, didn't he? I don't think he had any issues last year, unless I missed something.

Much like any other injury, his leg is only going to get stronger. Sure, it could get folded up like it did when it broke, but that could literally happen to anyone.

Belicheck/McDaniels would tailor an offense to that dink/dunk and get Smith easy reads to exploit. A cerebral QB with those two has usually ended up very well (won't end up as well, mind you).

Jacksonville makes a ton of sense - he'd be a psuedo QB Coach for Trevor Lawrence while serving as an advisor to Urban Meyer as far as how to update his approach to an NFL team. 

Alex Smith has a coaching career in him - might even be better than his playing career, which was good. Jacksonville might be that starting point.

Alex doesn't have a calf anymore. He can't stay healthy.

But the second part is what I'd be the most afraid. Pats shouldn't want to be 8-9. Cam with his legs and Smith with his brain plus the D/ST can get the team to 7 to 9 wins max and that's gonna keep pats in mediocrity for another year. Either draft a QB or ride with Stidham our way into a premium pick in the draft.

17 hours ago, goldfishwars said:

That's the smart thing to do.  Rather than rush things and waste assets, take your time, rebuild the right way, and have a solid team once again to move on into the future.  There is no shame in having to rebuild an aging squad, particularly after the incredible success the Patriots have had over the last 20 years.

11 hours ago, SteelKing728 said:

Any chance he could keep Lawrence on the bench for a short while?

I doubt it.  Unless Lawrence is really struggling in practice, there is no reason not to get him out on the field and get him some experience.  The chances are, Trevor will be the guy from day one.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, y*so*blu said:

He made a pretty incredible return from that leg injury. If he's not Comeback Player of the Year he has to be in the running.

Somebody else will reward those efforts.

I'm not sure if you're serious or not, but Smith already won the award a couple weeks ago. 

• Like 2