Pro Day/ Combine testing times:

Ozzy

Like, if you really think level of competition and who someone plays has zero bearing on an evaluation of a player I'm not sure what to say.

No one here has talked about or brought up skillset/physical tools in regards to evaluation.

The entire point is it's PART of it, which it is. That doesn't mean I or anyone I've seen has said you pass up the guy who played to lesser competiton because of it if your eval as far as the rest of the prospect goes trump's the other.

1 minute ago, .Buzz said:

I said that if you go to a big school you should be drafted high?

You said level competition should be considered and that Fields played against NFL caliber talent several times. 

I said so have every other Big 10, SEC and ACC Quarterback. 

You can't use those are positives when scouting Fields if they cannot be applied to everyone. 

That's the reason multiple QBs played the same type of schedule as Wilson yet didn't have nearly as much success because the talent isn't there for them to do so. 

8 minutes ago, Forge said:

In terms of the 49ers, or just in general? 

In general, there were no flags or anything. Kind of just reinforced a lot of stuff that I Think most already thought.  Mac had a rough start, just looks far more limited. Doesn't look comfortable off platform and clearly there are physical limitations. Even when he's more accurate intermediate, the throws don't pop.  Once he got settled, I thought he looked good. I liked the intermediate passes he made sort of "half" off platform...where he's moving in the pocket  via sort of a skipping motion. Those aren't as easy as they seem. I liked how relaxed he was. 

Fields' motion was sometimes lending itself to sailing balls on those intermediate routes I thought. 

I noticed Fields wasn't stepping into his intermediate throws almost at all. Very stationary, all arm. 

Jones definitely wasn't impressive as much as I assumed he would be. Didn't look natural and those deep passes weren't good at all. 

Edited by KingOfNewYork
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

Like, if you really think level of competition and who someone plays has zero bearing on an evaluation of a player I'm not sure what to say.

No one here has talked about or brought up skillset/physical tools in regards to evaluation.

The entire point is it's PART of it, which it is. That doesn't mean I or anyone I've seen has said you pass up the guy who played to lesser competiton because of it if your eval as far as the rest of the prospect goes trump's the other.

Who you play and who you play with has more of an impact on your production rather than your skillset. Throwing into a tight window is difficult whether you're playing Northwestern or Devry. Throwing under pressure on the run off one foot is difficult whether you're throwing to Dax Milne or Chris Olave. That's the point.

4 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

No one here has talked about or

the SEC has the most players drafted year in and out because those guys just happen to be more gifted then other conferences. Who you play does matter.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, LinebackerGod said:

Disagree. Wilson makes you say “wow” on tape much more than Fields does. Fields struggles to read deep and make tight window throws consistently. 

I’m not impressed with much from Wilson personally. Athletic with an average skill set and one year of great production against low tier competition without fans.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, KingOfNewYork said:

Who you play and who you play with has more of an impact on your production rather than your skillset. Throwing into a tight window is difficult whether you're playing Northwestern or Devry. Throwing under pressure on the run off one foot is difficult whether you're throwing to Dax Milne or Chris Olave. That's the point.

...and when you're playing the likes of Devry and other schools with guys who will be working 9-5's in a year or two you may not be having those difficult situations nearly as much or be punished for making certain decisions like you otherwise would.

1 minute ago, .Buzz said:

...and when you're playing the likes of Devry and other schools with guys who will be working 9-5's in a year or two you may not be having those difficult situations nearly as much or be punished for making certain decisions like you otherwise would.

And that still doesn't define who YOU are as a player. 

3 minutes ago, KingOfNewYork said:

And that still doesn't define who YOU are as a player. 

And again, I never said it did.

But it's still PART of the evaluation and is taken into account when asessing said prospect.

It will be interesting how it all plays out because one has two groups.  Players that everyone has know for a long time that they were top level talents, then guys who kind of came out of nowhere as mid to late round picks, played amazing for one season then flew up the draft boards.

Elite talents for a long time and drafted as such:

Trevor Lawrence
Tua Tagovailoa
Justin Fields
Justin Herbert
Baker Mayfield
Sam Darnold
Josh Rosen
Lamar Jackson
Patrick Mahomes
Deshaun Watson

Guys who skyrocketed up the draft charts after a great year:

Joe Burrow
Zach Wilson
Mac Jones
Kyler Murray
Dwayne Haskins
Mitchell Trubisky

Difference between dudes who no one thought were high 1st round picks coming into the season and dudes who most knew from early on they would be high 1st round picks.   Hesitate to include Trey Lance because he would have played this season and done well I assume but never got the chance so not sure one could include him in the 2nd group because most knew or had him highly rated before the season even started.

Burrow was not a matter of opportunity, same with Wilson because both were starters for one if not two seasons before the one breakout year.  Mac Jones only started 1/3rd season after Tua went down before this year but most did not expect his play to improve that much, similar to Joe Burrow the year previous.  Kyler is another that really broke out once he got his chance same with Haskins and Trubisky but Trubisky did flash as a backup for a few years but nothing major.