Official FF BSET FINALS - South Park vs Breaking Bad

Deadpulse

FINALS   

37 members have voted

1. 1. 1st seed vs 4th seed

• South Park (4)
    • Breaking Bad (1)

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 03/11/2021 at 09:00 PM

49 minutes ago, THE DUKE said:

Amongst teenagers, yes.  Those other shows were huge ages 13-63

I'd actually be very curious about this b/c in my personal little world, this isn't true, but my anecdotal evidence is just that.

When South Park first came out, it was literally the center of controversy. Everyone and their mom was talking about this show. As a result, I find it hard to believe that your statement is true especially b/c shows that only appeal to one, small group of people, usually don't last a quarter of a century.

• Like 3

"When the tenth episode "Damien" aired the following February, viewership increased another 33 percent. The episode earned a 6.4 rating, which at the time was over 10 times the average rating earned by a cable show aired in prime time.[21][161] The ratings peaked with the second episode of season two, "Cartman's Mom Is Still a Dirty ****", which aired on April 22, 1998. The episode earned an 8.2 rating (6.2 million viewers) and, at the time, set a record as the highest-rated non-sports show in basic cable history.[29][37][161] During the spring of 1998, eight of the ten highest-rated shows on basic cable were South Park episodes.[22]

The success of South Park prompted more cable companies to carry Comedy Central and led it to its becoming one of the fastest-growing cable channels. The number of households that had Comedy Central jumped from 9.1 million in 1997 to 50 million in June 1998.[161] When the show debuted, the most Comedy Central had earned for a 30-second commercial was US$7,500.[21] Within a year, advertisers were paying an average of US$40,000 for 30 seconds of advertising time during airings of South Park in its second season, while some paid as much as US$80,000.[162]"

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, JoshstraDaymus said:

Seriously the biggest crime in this thread is people not even remembering the widespread cultural phenomenon that South Park was

I remember, I lived it, I was a teenager in the late 90's.  It also settled back into a niche after all those numbers posted earlier.  It still does well, something like 2.3 million viewers recently, but i'll say again it wasn't nationally on a similar level to shows like Breaking Bad and Game of Thrones. Wasn't as big, nor as long.

1 minute ago, THE DUKE said:

I remember, I lived it, I was a teenager in the late 90's.  It also settled back into a niche after all those numbers posted earlier.  It still does well, something like 2.3 million viewers recently, but i'll say again it wasn't nationally on a similar level to shows like Breaking Bad and Game of Thrones. Wasn't as big, nor as long.

This is inherently wrong, and I attribute this to an age/dawning of social media. It's more chattered about now in many more mediums than what was available during South Parks hayday.

Like, I'm going in here as if I'm a South Park diehard here, but I'm not. If I'm being honest I hadn't even heard of Breaking Bad until it was in its 5th season.

• Like 1

Late vote by me, just saw the thread.

Breaking Bad. 

Is it the best show of all time? Probably not. I think Better Call Saul itself is better, but Breaking Bad is without question a Top 5 show ever imo. And better than South Park (and I love South Park). 

Breaking Bad was a 5 season masterpiece. Was it a little overrated compared to the hype it gets? Sure. However, all shows are overrated when it comes to awarding them “The Best Show of All Time”. The only show I would of been comfortable awarding that title to would of been Game of Thrones if their Final Season didn’t suck so much. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Shockwave said:

The only show I'd actually consider better then BB is Better Call Saul. Vince Gilligan is a master in character development and story telling and his craft was perfected in BCS. I hope he continues to make shows in this universe and beyond. This wasn't an easy vote for me as SP has been a staple part of my life for 20+ years. But BB with it's intertwining storylines, flashbacks, flashforwards, intricate convoluted characters, and actually nailed a respectable ending. It's the best show ever put on TV. 

At least in respect to where Better Call Saul finished in this tournament, it is the most underrated show of all time. I also have it slightly above Breaking Bad, and in the Top 5 shows ever. 

• Like 1