Covid-19 News/Discussion

bucsfan333

Canada is now beating us in terms of vaccination. Some obvious reasons why including the US and it’s particular news sources.

https://news.yahoo.com/despite-a-slower-start-canada-is-now-lapping-us-on-covid-vaccination-are-right-wing-media-to-blame-090044237.html

The seeds of vaccine skepticism exist everywhere. But Fox News and other conservative media sources such as Newsmax and One America Network — along with social media — have amplified them, transforming a fringe sentiment into a partisan litmus test.

In March, a PRRI survey found that Republicans who placed the most trust in mainstream television news sources (broadcast networks, local news, public television) were 26 percentage points more likely to be vaccine accepters than those who placed the most trust in far-right networks such as Newsmax and OAN; they were also 20 points less likely to be vaccine refusers. And even in March — before the network’s hosts started to stoke vaccine skepticism every night — trust in Fox News was also associated with a lower level of acceptance and a higher level of refusal.

Edited by Xenos

On 7/14/2021 at 11:07 AM, TVScout said:

Free stuff:

Some countries defend mixing vaccines after WHO suggests booster strategy is ‘chaotic’.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/2021/07/14/coronavirus-latest-updates/

Canada's vaccination approach including mixing doses is 'bearing out,' PM Trudeau says.

https://www.ctvnews.ca/health/coronavirus/canada-s-vaccination-approach-including-mixing-doses-is-bearing-out-pm-trudeau-says-1.5507376

Mixing Covid jabs has good immune response, study finds.

https://www.bbc.com/news/health-57636356

Everyone over the age of 12 in my family has received two doses. Those who mixed vaccines (Pfizer, Moderna) had more intense reactions (indicating better immune response).

It seems to work well. Of course Canada’s entire Vaccine strategy has been one of panic after our esteemed Prime Minister thought it was a good idea to partner with an adversary (China). Of course that money was sunk when the Chinese Government refused to allow sharing with Canada. It put us significantly behind other countries. We are catching up now.

1 hour ago, diehardlionfan said:

Everyone over the age of 12 in my family has received two doses. Those who mixed vaccines (Pfizer, Moderna) had more intense reactions (indicating better immune response).

It seems to work well. Of course Canada’s entire Vaccine strategy has been one of panic after our esteemed Prime Minister thought it was a good idea to partner with an adversary (China). Of course that money was sunk when the Chinese Government refused to allow sharing with Canada. It put us significantly behind other countries. We are catching up now.

I’m sure it felt like the right decision at the time given vaccine scarcity. But it’s not how you start as they say. And Canada has surpassed the US and will probably continue trending in the right direction compared to us because you don’t have as big an antivaxxer influence.

It's official: The Covid recession lasted just two months, the shortest in U.S. history

According to the National Bureau of Economic Research, the contraction lasted just two months, from February 2020 to April.

Though the drop featured a staggering 31.4 percent GDP plunge in the second quarter of the pandemic-scarred year, it also saw a massive snapback the following period, with previously unheard of policy stimulus boosting output by 33.4 percent.

https://www.nbcnews.com/business/economy/it-s-official-covid-recession-lasted-just-two-months-shortest-n1274465?cid=sm_npd_ms_fb_ma&fbclid=IwAR1sTHwJ6-3s9mvcwRng6P6dbqsyX_og9tPI5ESzuDskrpiwx_sCr_ENEII

2 hours ago, Xenos said:

I’m sure it felt like the right decision at the time given vaccine scarcity. But it’s not how you start as they say. And Canada has surpassed the US and will probably continue trending in the right direction compared to us because you don’t have as big an antivaxxer influence.

Actually it was a stupid move at the start and final analysis it’s still stupid.

We have our share of antivaxxers but our elected officials have all promoted vaccines. The unanimous voice is huge.

We really aren’t making much progress on first doses. In Ontario today 130k+ vaccines administered but only a few thousand were first shots. In Ontario 80 percent have had one dose, 64 percent have had both.

2 hours ago, diehardlionfan said:

Actually it was a stupid move at the start and final analysis it’s still stupid.

We have our share of antivaxxers but our elected officials have all promoted vaccines. The unanimous voice is huge.

We really aren’t making much progress on first doses. In Ontario today 130k+ vaccines administered but only a few thousand were first shots. In Ontario 80 percent have had one dose, 64 percent have had both.

Assuming that all 80% get their second dosage, that is beyond impressive IMO.

8 hours ago, diehardlionfan said:

Most will.

In the city, where I live the numbers are 82% and 64% age 12+. Which is 72% and 56% of our entire population.

We’re at 79.5% and 68.4% age 12+. Which is 72% and 56% of our entire population also. Though based on what my company’s medical expert said yesterday, due to the more highly contagious nature of the Delta Variant, we shouldn’t expect herd immunity. Even the fully vaccinated can be shedding the virus and infecting the unvaccinated. The issue is how much transmission which is still unclear.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Xenos said:

We’re at 79.5% and 68.4% age 12+. Which is 72% and 56% of our entire population also. Though based on what my company’s medical expert said yesterday, due to the more highly contagious nature of the Delta Variant, we shouldn’t expect herd immunity. Even the fully vaccinated can be shedding the virus and infecting the unvaccinated. The issue is how much transmission which is still unclear.

@ramssuperbowl99 can correct me if I'm wrong here, but that nearly sterilizing immunity we saw in the real world trials early on wasn't going to last anyways. Those tests were done at the peak of the test subject  antibodies response. Vaccinated people were bound to start catching the virus and spreading it eventually as antibodies generated from the initial immune response were going to wane.

The good news is- the memory cell response (which generate antibodies) seems to be robust, so us vaccinated folks should be able to clear the virus swiftly if we do get infected. This will impact transmission on a community level since COVID will lose a ton of its steam. Vaccinated people who do get infected will fight the virus off quicker, have a reduction in viral shedding, and have a reduced viral load compared to someone who hasn't gained any form of immunity from the virus. They'll also be way less likely to suffer from severe symptoms.

It's been said for a while that COVID will likely become a common cold as it's thought that many of the coronaviruses that cause the common cold today may have been way more lethal in the past before immunity among humans was built. Vaccines are just speeding up the process, and saving MILLIONS upon MILLIONS of lives.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, WizeGuy said:

@ramssuperbowl99 can correct me if I'm wrong here, but that nearly sterilizing immunity we saw in the real world trials early on wasn't going to last anyways. Those tests were done at the peak of the test subject  antibodies response. Vaccinated people were bound to start catching the virus and spreading it eventually as antibodies generated from the initial immune response were going to wane.

The good news is- the memory cell response (which generate antibodies) seems to be robust, so us vaccinated folks should be able to clear the virus swiftly if we do get infected. This will impact transmission on a community level since COVID will lose a ton of its steam. Vaccinated people who do get infected will fight the virus off quicker, have a reduction in viral shedding, and have a reduced viral load compared to someone who hasn't gained any form of immunity from the virus. They'll also be way less likely to suffer from severe symptoms.

It's been said for a while that COVID will likely become a common cold as it's thought that many of the coronaviruses that cause the common cold today may have been way more lethal in the past before immunity among humans was built. Vaccines are just speeding up the process, and saving MILLIONS upon MILLIONS of lives.

I guess the next question is when do the unvaccinated become our problem? I’m not talking about those who legitimately can’t get vaccinated. But rather the large percentage that won’t.  Do you think we’ll be able to chip away enough to even have it reach common cold levels or will more mutations happen creating an even more lethal variant? I guess reading this article’s breakdown made me more worried.

https://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2021/07/3-principles-now-define-pandemic/619336/

3 hours ago, Xenos said:

Our health experts suggested herd immunity requires at last 90% vaccination rate.

Im not very optimistic given some of our provinces have removed restrictions. Our borders open next month which is premature. I expect a fourth wave come fall.

Our politicians are simply doing the same things that created the second and third waves.

2 hours ago, Xenos said:

I guess the next question is when do the unvaccinated become our problem? I’m not talking about those who legitimately can’t get vaccinated. But rather the large percentage that won’t.  Do you think we’ll be able to chip away enough to even have it reach common cold levels or will more mutations happen creating an even more lethal variant? I guess reading this article’s breakdown made me more worried.

https://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2021/07/3-principles-now-define-pandemic/619336/

I expect mutations will continue and the virus will become endemic. 

20 minutes ago, diehardlionfan said:

Our health experts suggested herd immunity requires at last 90% vaccination rate.

Im not very optimistic given some of our provinces have removed restrictions. Our borders open next month which is premature. I expect a fourth wave come fall.

Our politicians are simply doing the same things that created the second and third waves.

Some things don’t change lol. Though I feel that Canada is in a better position than the US so far. We might get more vaccinations once the FDA gives full approval, and employers feels more confident about having mandates. Though I think the US also needs to start donating more vaccines to help the rest of the world also. Reading this makes me sad.

https://www.statnews.com/2021/07/20/states-are-sitting-on-millions-of-surplus-covid-19-vaccine-doses-as-expiration-dates-approach/

56 minutes ago, Xenos said:

Some things don’t change lol. Though I feel that Canada is in a better position than the US so far. We might get more vaccinations once the FDA gives full approval, and employers feels more confident about having mandates. Though I think the US also needs to start donating more vaccines to help the rest of the world also. Reading this makes me sad.

https://www.statnews.com/2021/07/20/states-are-sitting-on-millions-of-surplus-covid-19-vaccine-doses-as-expiration-dates-approach/

The vaccine situation is unfortunate. I expect we will be in the same situation shortly. Our first dose vaccine uptake has slowed to a crawl.

EDIT…after posting this I went to a news site.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/health/covid-vaccine-demand-dropping-canada-1.6111448

Edited by diehardlionfan
Addition of link
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, diehardlionfan said:

I expect mutations will continue and the virus will become endemic. 

I guess the question is when it will be endemic. Because right now it seems that things are getting worse before they get better with every new variant.

• Like 1