Covid-19 News/Discussion

bucsfan333

54 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

LOL

Bro, come on, read it in context of what I was saying. Not showing symptoms specific to COVID. :) 

Okay, but as @LETSGOBROWNIES said, if it wasn't something they were already admitted for they would just send them home. Otherwise, it's irrelevant. They are already in the hospital for something unrelated. Even if asymptomatic, COVID is still a factor as, like you said, it pushes their required surgery and therefore unnecessarily extends their stay. It remains a factor in over hospitalizations because it extends stays regardless if it was the admitting reason or not. It's not as misleading as you are making it out to be to include such patients. 

Healthcare workers who are exposed to COVID-19 and are asymptomatic may return to work immediately without quarantining and testing, and those who test positive and are asymptomatic may return to work immediately without isolation and without testing.

Source

I don't see how this could backfire at all.

edit: In California

Edited by kingseanjohn

16 hours ago, BayRaider said:

My nasal swab was negative but I did a throat swab which was positive. Still trying to get my Dr to do a real test. 

nasal swab was positive this morning after i woke up with mild symtoms, im assuming its covid and not a false positive so im just staying home for a week.

i'm not ******* around at a crowded doctors office.

On 1/8/2022 at 8:39 PM, bucsfan333 said:
On 1/8/2022 at 7:23 PM, MWil23 said:

This is best case scenario. Tbh May as well let Omnicron run rampant and just return to normal as much as possible afterwards. Basically what happened with the Spanish flu

As long as you ignore the studies showing about one in five people having lingering cognitive problems and 50% of people having a lingering effect of some kind.

As long as you ignore the fact that covid isn't simply "death or the flu," sure. Let's all get it. What's the worst that could happen?

He didn't say, "This is a good scenario", he said, "This is the best case scenario".

What other scenario do you envision we could realistically move to where there is a smaller net negative to society than the remaining unvaxxed population gaining immunity through Omicron infection?

I can't think of one. Now, to be clear, that doesn't mean it's a good thing. This is the end game we had hoped to avoid. But it's both already happening, and we've had 2 years to find something else to appease the 30% of Americans who are too stupid and scientifically illiterate to get a vaccine. 

So, what's the other proposal, and why do you think it's better from a survival standpoint and realistic?

• Like 3

57 minutes ago, Dome said:
17 hours ago, BayRaider said:

My nasal swab was negative but I did a throat swab which was positive. Still trying to get my Dr to do a real test. 

nasal swab was positive this morning after i woke up with mild symtoms, im assuming its covid and not a false positive so im just staying home for a week.

i'm not ******* around at a crowded doctors office.

Always confirm in duplicate, so you have 2 pos/1 neg or 1 pos/2 neg, and can reasonably assume the 1 is the false result.

Just now, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Always confirm in duplicate, so you have 2 pos/1 neg or 1 pos/2 neg, and can reasonably assume the 1 is the false result.

I'm out of tests for now. But I did 3 total. Two nasal's that were negative and one throat that was positive. My brother told me his lab sent out a memo that Omicron is better detected in saliva. I'm not sure why the media is saying otherwise. 

Just now, BayRaider said:

I'm out of tests for now. But I did 3 total. Two nasal's that were negative and one throat that was positive. My brother told me his lab sent out a memo that Omicron is better detected in saliva. I'm not sure why the media is saying otherwise. 

I would consider you negative, unless there's anything about the sampling of the 2 nasals that you think would render the negatives false.

2 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

I would consider you negative, unless there's anything about the sampling of the 2 nasals that you think would render the negatives false.

Why would you consider me negative? Omicron doesn't show up in the nasal passages until about day 4 of the disease, unlike Delta which is Day 1. Early Omicron detection needs to be done via saliva. 

4 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

Why would you consider me negative? Omicron doesn't show up in the nasal passages until about day 4 of the disease, unlike Delta which is Day 1. Early Omicron detection needs to be done via saliva. 

You have 2 negative tests, and 1 positive test. More likely to have 1 false result than 2.

I weight the number of tests more than the specific location of the test, particularly given that nasal/saliva is going to be targeting the same tissue space. 

1 hour ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Im going to assume this is due to staffing issues?

I don’t see an easy solution to any of this unfortunately. You have healthcare isolate for 10 days and it screws over the people who need medical attention. But if you have them return too early then you spread Covid even more.

• Like 1

Someone brought up earlier about just getting it over because Omicron is milder and Covid will eventually be endemic. It’s a tricky situation. I think article summarizes it well.

https://amp.theatlantic.com/amp/article/621207/

By infecting so many people so quickly, Omicron is also speeding us toward an endemic future where everyone left has some immunity, so the coronavirus is eventually less deadly. But in the short term, Omicron as an accelerant is dangerous. The fastest path to endemicity is not the best path. The U.S. still has too many unvaccinated and undervaccinated people, and cases that might have been spread out over months are now being compressed into weeks. Even if a smaller percentage of patients ends up in the hospital than before, that small percentage multiplied by a simply huge number of cases will overwhelm hospitals that are already stretched too thin. The coming weeks will be a bad time to have COVID, or appendicitis, or a broken leg.

Compressing all those mild cases into weeks has its own toll: Too many health-care workers are falling sick at the same time, exacerbating hospitals’ ongoing staffing shortages. Schools, airlines, subways, and businesses are finding their workers out sick with Omicron too. There may be no preemptive shutdowns, but there will be unpredictable cancellations. “It’s going to be a messy few weeks. I don’t think there’s any way around it,” says Joseph Allen, a professor of public health at Harvard.

Edited by Xenos

4 minutes ago, Xenos said:
1 hour ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Im going to assume this is due to staffing issues?

I don’t see an easy solution to any of this unfortunately. You have healthcare isolate for 10 days and it screws over the people who need medical attention. But if you have them return too early then you spread Covid even more.

The answer is that a functioning hospital needs staff who don't see COVID patients.

The overall hospital capacity can stay the same, but some COVID beds need to become regular beds and the COVID patients who may feel they need them can refer to the Facebook research that got them there for their treatment options.

• Like 5