2021 Free Agency Thread NFL/MIN

CriminalMind

1 minute ago, gopherwrestler said:

Probably realizes a little where he’s at. Very Solid back-up. System fit for him, with a athletic QB that likes to move and always is an injury risk because of it. Pretty good situation for him if Allen would get hurt. 

With the QB class this year, after his first loss he probably would be benched and it can be a complete career ender 

The problem is that you are relying on a guy getting hurt for anyone to see you.  It's really worked out well for Marcus Mariota.  If you're going to go with a backup job, which he certainly should have, I'm going to go where there's a far better chance I'm going to play at some point.  If it works out for him, great, but Allen hasn't missed a game since the middle of his rookie year.  

7 minutes ago, swede700 said:

The problem is that you are relying on a guy getting hurt for anyone to see you.  It's really worked out well for Marcus Mariota.  If you're going to go with a backup job, which he certainly should have, I'm going to go where there's a far better chance I'm going to play at some point.  If it works out for him, great, but Allen hasn't missed a game since the middle of his rookie year.  

Or, he can sit on the bench, not get hurt, and make 900K a year for the next 7 years....not a bad gig, really. Not as good as starter money, but he's probably not getting hurt.....

• Like 1

2 hours ago, solidvikingfan said:

I'm not to interested in our FA dollars going for a once in a blue moon kickoff return most teams just boot it out the endzone anyway.

If he had figured out punt returns as well after leaving I'd have more interest but he never did add that to his game.

Not to mention a kick return TD every year but 2014 and 2017. 2 years with multiple touchdowns. 

733 yards more he had last year. On kickoff alone. 733 yards total yards our offense would not have to drive. (Yes some of these were returned back to the twenty five).

Plus a GREAT Gunner. 

Along with 364 yards of offense last year. 

1000k guy at a discount!

• Like 2

If the Vikings can only sign one more player that’ll likely cost more than league minimum, I’d like to see them sign Austin Blythe. 

A decent player with a lot of starting experience at both guard and center in a similar blocking scheme as what the Vikings implement. Pencil him in as the other starter at guard before the draft, and he can start if the team can’t land one of the top o-linemen, or if the rookie isn’t ready to start from day one. He’d also be excellent insurance if Bradbury continues to struggle.

A new Joe Berger.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, gopherwrestler said:

I guess I always thought Blythe was pretty good and basically isn’t a Ram because of the cap situation. I mean he recovered pretty good from 2019, which was his really only bad year.

I’d call him an average o-lineman. And I guess I’d probably buy him on a 1 year, $3M type deal at this point. 

Edited by SemperFeist

22 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

If the Vikings can only sign one more player that’ll likely cost more than league minimum, I’d like to see them sign Austin Blythe. 

A decent player with a lot of starting experience at both guard and center in a similar blocking scheme as what the Vikings implement. Pencil him in as the other starter at guard before the draft, and he can start if the team can’t land one of the top o-linemen, or if the rookie isn’t ready to start from day one. He’d also be excellent insurance if Bradbury continues to struggle.

A new Joe Berger.

Given the need for two starting OL, I agree with this approach. Adding an IOL makes the most sense. 

Still would like to see a vet at Safety though.

2 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

Still would like to see a vet at Safety though.

I always just wonder if Zimmer just doesn’t Value a second safety as much as we think. We’ve went thru Sendejo who was literally “nobody”, to a UDFA in Harris. 

Maybe it’s just a position they will look into during the draft.

If it is a veteran safety I’ll still stick with it will be someone on the Will Parks level rather than moving up to the Harris money, or even Neal money.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

Still would like to see a vet at Safety though

Given Zimmer’s comments about the safety spot last year, plus the addition of a vet like Patrick Peterson, I would expect the Vikings to look to the draft for another safety, and maybe find a vet who’s cut in June or around training camp. 

Just now, gopherwrestler said:

I always just wonder if Zimmer just doesn’t Value a second safety as much as we think. We’ve went thru Sendejo who was literally “nobody”, to a UDFA in Harris. 

Maybe it’s just a position they will look into during the draft.

If it is a veteran safety I’ll still stick with it will be someone on the Will Parks level rather than moving up to the Harris money, or even Neal money.

Have Neal or Harris signed yet? I’m guessing there may not be a market for them at their price point.

16 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

Have Neal or Harris signed yet? I’m guessing there may not be a market for them at their price point.

At their price point? Probably not. At our price point, also probably not. I’m not sure how much money they want to push towards the safety spot.

Not only that. Just the fact I would feel better with a rookie safety starting rather than two rookie offensive lineman starting side by side.

1 hour ago, gopherwrestler said:

Not to mention a kick return TD every year but 2014 and 2017. 2 years with multiple touchdowns. 

733 yards more he had last year. On kickoff alone. 733 yards total yards our offense would not have to drive. (Yes some of these were returned back to the twenty five).

Plus a GREAT Gunner. 

Along with 364 yards of offense last year. 

1000k guy at a discount!

• Like 2