2017-2018 NBA GDT: Off the court discussions

11sanchez11

NBA Champions  

79 members have voted

1. 1. Who's The Favorite to Win it All This Year?

• Warriors
    • Cavaliers
    • Someone Else, Somehow?

San Antonio could currently have both Jonathan Simmons and Dewayne Dedmon, who are both killing it, for 2/3 of the price of Pau Gasol alone.  A huge miss by San Antonio.

Did everyone see Covington's new contract?  Great deal for him and Philadelphia.  He gets a $15 million raise this season alone, and then the contract turns into a 4 year, $46 million deal next season.  It puts them in a great position to add a very good free agent next summer.  I doubt any top tier free agent would consider them (they should still try to secure meetings obviously), but they could add some very nice depth by going after two mid-level free agents in their prime.

6 minutes ago, tonyto36 said:

What makes you think they'll clearly regress?

Any regression from variance in opponents shooting percentage will be mitigated by the offense improving IMO.

The defense I think has proven to be dominant and in the conversation so far for historical comparisons.  Defenses have a lot less variance (and random hot streaks where you'd expect major regression) than offense does.

I look at their roster and I just don't see them keeping this kind of play up all season. And it's not the type of roster I'm counting on in a Finals series, especially against Golden State. I'm not a fan of Kyrie, especially as a #1 option and Horford is solid but nothing special (as a #2). Brown and Tatum are nice but they are really young. I don't think you an fully count on them in playoff runs yet.

The Celtics will make the ECF finals and have a chance at making the Finals, but it's mainly due to Brad Stevens and that team defense. If they had Hayward, who would be their best player, then I'd probably have them as the easy Eastern Conference favorite.

Kyrie is their #1 and I don't think he's close to the superstar, #1 type player that a lot seem to think.

48 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Rockets are legitimate contenders. CP3 looked good yesterday and much better than he did in preseason/opening night. They could play multiple line ups down the stretch and have two guys that could take over end of games. Dubs are the rightful favorites, but these guys could push the series to the limit. 

Soooo is Kawhi returning anytime soon?

Warriors aren't beatable come playoff time and it's a shame because this Rockets team is a true championship caliber roster in 95% of the previous years.  Just bad timing.

30 minutes ago, seminoles1 said:

San Antonio could currently have both Jonathan Simmons and Dewayne Dedmon, who are both killing it, for 2/3 of the price of Pau Gasol alone.  A huge miss by San Antonio.

Did everyone see Covington's new contract?  Great deal for him and Philadelphia.  He gets a $15 million raise this season alone, and then the contract turns into a 4 year, $46 million deal next season.  It puts them in a great position to add a very good free agent next summer.  I doubt any top tier free agent would consider them (they should still try to secure meetings obviously), but they could add some very nice depth by going after two mid-level free agents in their prime.

I can’t believe Orlando got Simmons for that deal. But that’s what happens when you blow your cap space the year before. Everyone went crazy last year with the cap spike and used it on scrubs. 

50 minutes ago, seminoles1 said:

Great deal.  Covington is one of the best 'role players' in the league.  He's literally the type of guy that could fit on any team in the league and he's so valuable to a playoff contending team.  The Sixers have such great talent.

28 minutes ago, MookieMonster said:

Why would the Celtics clearly regress? The defense is legit, and the offense has been really under performing IMO. Ignore the wins, I don't even think this is the Celtics peak...I think they could play much better.

That's scary

26 minutes ago, showtime said:

Great deal.  Covington is one of the best 'role players' in the league.  He's literally the type of guy that could fit on any team in the league and he's so valuable to a playoff contending team.  The Sixers have such great talent.

Hindsight is always 20/20 but I wish we kept him over Francisco Garcia.

Archived