2017-2018 NBA GDT: Off the court discussions

11sanchez11

NBA Champions  

79 members have voted

1. 1. Who's The Favorite to Win it All This Year?

• Warriors
    • Cavaliers
    • Someone Else, Somehow?

3 hours ago, dtait93 said:

He's not an idiot, he's a marketing genius lol everybody is always talking about him and his brand which does nothing but bring in more traffic. Yes the stuff he says about Lonzo>Curry and him>Jordan are obviously outlandish, but it's just a marketing ploy to get people talking and its worked. Idk why people get so angry with him, at the end of the day he and his family are making theirs and he's eating up every second of it, why not just be happy for him and his family?

You and others say he doesn't know when to "STFU" but you're clearly wrong, his son's in the NBA, his brand is doing well, his other son was stupid and got arrested in China but still has the opportunity to get a free education at a great college, and the other one is still too young to judge. I'd say Lavar is playing all his cards right so far

Lonzo making the NBA has nothing to do with Lavar's talking/hyping or not. Lonzo made it because he can ball. But now that he has made it, you don't think all of Lavar's "talking etc" has put far more pressure on Lonzo and therefor made it even harder for Lonzo to have success? Why not just be a proud father and sit back and support your son? 

Lavar is a proud father. Heck, you could argue maybe TOO proud of a father lol. But Lonzo without his father wouldn't get nearly as much attention. And it is easy to say now that he is struggling that his father should shut up, but could you imagine if he was tearing it up? He would instantly become the second coming. Some players do go extra hard against Lonzo like Beverly, but seems like that has slowed down. Dude is struggling with his shot and more than anything, that is what is taking a toll on him. 

Since we are on topic, I love that Lonzo isn't a total ball dominant PG, but I hate how easily he gives the ball up. It takes away from his play making as once guys like Clarkson get the ball in their hands, Lonzo isn't getting it back. Luke needs to put the rock in his hands more and let him run some pick and rolls.

2 hours ago, resilient part 2 said:

Lonzo making the NBA has nothing to do with Lavar's talking/hyping or not. Lonzo made it because he can ball. But now that he has made it, you don't think all of Lavar's "talking etc" has put far more pressure on Lonzo and therefor made it even harder for Lonzo to have success? Why not just be a proud father and sit back and support your son? 

He made it cuz he can ball but let's not act like Lavar had absolutely nothing to do in helping him succeed. And he is supporting his son, just not in the way you/the media/society thinks he should be. He's loud and proud about it and that's just the way he is, whether it adds pressure or not, that's his way of showing support.

Lets just assume he is doing it to add pressure, well then that's what he thinks his son needs to be great, I think he would know better than you or I what his son needs after raising him and seeing the after effects of overcoming pressure and adversity. He already had to do it through highschool/aau and college, the leagues just the next step. 9/7/7 and 1.5 steals per game isn't bad for a rookie who's still learning the league and has a shot that needs to be tuned.

16 hours ago, jfinley88 said:

Dipo had endless opportunities in ORL. They let him run the offense a good chunk of time lol. He's got a lot better. 

I was more talking about OKC.  In Orlando, the roster made the spacing pretty clunky so we didn't get to see him in a favorable opportunity much.

54 minutes ago, dtait93 said:

He made it cuz he can ball but let's not act like Lavar had absolutely nothing to do in helping him succeed. And he is supporting his son, just not in the way you/the media/society thinks he should be. He's loud and proud about it and that's just the way he is, whether it adds pressure or not, that's his way of showing support.

Lets just assume he is doing it to add pressure, well then that's what he thinks his son needs to be great, I think he would know better than you or I what his son needs after raising him and seeing the after effects of overcoming pressure and adversity. He already had to do it through highschool/aau and college, the leagues just the next step. 9/7/7 and 1.5 steals per game isn't bad for a rookie who's still learning the league and has a shot that needs to be tuned.

No one said the father had nothing to do with Lonzo becoming good at ball of course he did but what I'm talking about is adding all the extra pressure which it is that should be undisputable just because he needs extra attention I don't know why people refuse to see that Lavar is making up for all those years he was a nobody threw his son even if he did a good job at getting his son to this point he does not know how to shut it down for the sake of the greater good. In a few years we will both look back and see which one was more right I guess but in the meantime nothing will change my mind about the fathers ongoing actions and how that is probably hurting his son long-term.

5 hours ago, resilient part 2 said:

If Lonzo can't handle the pressure, he wasn't going to be a star anyway.  Good that he's being tested early.  He's gotta suck it up and do his job.  He seems to be handling it relatively well tbh.

Archived