NFL media deals finalized - at least 10B annual income annually

Broncofan

That's at least a 30 percent increase from pre-Covid TV $.

The Covid lost stadium income is why the cap went down from 210M projected to 182M.   The league & NFLPA agreed to absorb the hit only for 2021.  So the 2022 cap was due to return back to 2022, before the new $ came in.   The 2022 cap was projected to be 220M.   Players get 48 percent of all league revenue to form their annual cap.

Translation:

1.  The 2022 cap is going to be insanely high.  220M is likely conservative (or if the NFLPA agreed in latest CBA <why I wouldn't guess>, the jump for 2023 is going to be massive as well).

2.  The scale for top positions is going way up next offseason.

3.  If you're a great player and in your prime, you probably want to wait to negotiate until next offseason for your 2022+ income.

This is why teams wanted to get extensions done for their premium elite position players for 2022+, even if the number seemed crazy then.  It won't seem nearly as crazy once the new cap numbers are announced.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Danger said:

It's going to be higher than $220M. Remember that more games will be played and that players get a somewhat higher share than under the previous CBA.

Trust me, I'm there.  Just setting the table.   

Remember when ppl were laughing at the $ QB's were being given, asking how teams could offer so much.  We're about to find out why.

I don't know exactly when, but a 300M cap is coming in the next 5 seasons, if those numbers are correct.

Edited by Broncofan

Can someone explain the 23 games on ABC deal? The games won't be double headers but will air simultaneously? So ESPN is going to run a 7:00 pm ET game while ABC does an 8:30 or 9:00 pm on the same night? That makes ZERO sense, unless I'm misunderstanding it. How many Saturday games make up that 23? Two playoff games + 17 MNF games and four Saturday games perhaps? That would give you 23... Or MNF double header week 1 with three Saturday games gives you 23 (unless SB years are included in that 23).

Edited by WheatieMan

OK, the MNF DHs should involve the ESPN games airing at 5:30 PM ET. ABC would start their games at 9 PM, allowing an entertainment program to serve as the lead-in (like when ABC was the full-time MNF home). The Good Doctor would be the program for these nights if it is still running in 2023, it normally airs at 10 PM ET.

And ABC's broadcasts should be presented in a way that appeals to people who grew up watching the games called by Frank Gifford, Al Michaels, and Dan Dierdorf, which means heavily de-emphasizing the ESPN branding for these games. This would also apply to their Super Bowls.

This means that when ABC and ESPN are airing the same game, they would be airing fundamentally different presentations of these games (with differing announcing crews).

Edited by pf9

4 minutes ago, WheatieMan said:

Can someone explain the 23 games on ABC deal? The games won't be double headers but will air simultaneously? So ESPN is going to run a 7:00 pm ET game while ABC does an 8:30 or 9:00 pm on the same night? That makes ZERO sense, unless I'm misunderstanding it. How many Saturday games make up that 23? Two playoff games + 17 MNF games and four Saturday games perhaps? That would give you 23... Or MNF double header week 1 with three Saturday games gives you 23 (unless SB years are included in that 23).

I may answer some on my own question:

https://espnpressroom.com/us/press-releases/2021/03/the-walt-disney-company-espn-and-national-football-league-reach-landmark-long-term-agreement/

23 games are REGULAR season only... 18 MNF games (week 1 double header sans week 18?). ESPN+ subscribers get a game... so that's 19 total. We are still 4 games short. How many of those will be Saturday or some other night?