Bears release Fuller

beardown3231

1 minute ago, Hitman52 said:

You are telling me they could get no trade value out of this? Will this count toward compensatory pick for next year, when he signs else where?

I don't believe he counts towards it because he was cut instead of his contract running out... Could be wrong though.

What a bummer. Dude was always one of my favorite bears and was well worth his draft position (even though I wanted Aaron Donald and Haha Clinton Dix lol). Dude still has a lot to offer. Not a fan of having to cut him. 

9 minutes ago, The_Romen said:

I don't believe he counts towards it because he was cut instead of his contract running out... Could be wrong though.

Correct. No comp pick. 

So Fuller is cut as a cap casualty to make room for Dalton's $10m and Jimmy Graham's $10m 2021 cap number.

Outstanding work. Do the McCaskey's even care what is happening to their franchise? 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Bigbear72 said:

I wonder if we are looking at a total rebuild brewing.

You know what is useful when you are rebuilding? Draft picks. Crazy that we got none for a 29 year old all-pro corner who has only, at worst, justified he is worth the money, and at best, improved significantly, from when a divisional rival wanted to sign him to a contract.

League shows interest in a player? Cut him for nothing a couple years later after he has played well.

#ThanksRyan

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, British said:

If that was the case I wouldn't have signed Dalton. Just roll with Foles and a rookie and wait to see if Minshew/Darnold shake loose.

There are two sides to signing Dalton. 

1) It's bad if you are planning to rebuild because if you are rebuilding it doesn't matter if you have a competent QB, in fact it is better if you don't.

2) If you are planning a short-term rebuild, a competent QB probably helps keep your OL and skill position players happy so they don't just leave when their contracts run out.

Others could probably offer better insight to both sides. I'm drinking craft beer tonight and the brain isn't all here.

5 minutes ago, chisoxguy7 said:

There are two sides to signing Dalton. 

1) It's bad if you are planning to rebuild because if you are rebuilding it doesn't matter if you have a competent QB, in fact it is better if you don't.

2) If you are planning a short-term rebuild, a competent QB probably helps keep your OL and skill position players happy so they don't just leave when their contracts run out.

Others could probably offer better insight to both sides. I'm drinking craft beer tonight and the brain isn't all here.

True. The question proposed a 'total' rebuild so I was thinking the former.

18 minutes ago, chisoxguy7 said:

You know what is useful when you are rebuilding? Draft picks. Crazy that we got none for a 29 year old all-pro corner who has only, at worst, justified he is worth the money, and at best, improved significantly, from when a divisional rival wanted to sign him to a contract.

League shows interest in a player? Cut him for nothing a couple years later after he has played well.

#ThanksRyan

First off, Fuller refused to renegotiate. So, there's that.

However--I'm far from a Pace apologist, so that observation is sort of a blip.

Pace should have been able to get SOME sort of draft pick compensation for Fuller. My guess is that he didn't really get creative in his dealings with other teams. 

Edited by Heinz D.

Ummm...what?

I knew Fuller being gone was a strong possibility this offseason but I'm surprised there was no trade interest.  This is a strange move because he is still a very good player.

This tells me they are either very confident in their current CBs i.e. JJ, Vildor, Shelley, Roberson etc. or they will be targeting a CB high again in this year's draft