Ezekiel Elliot remains suspended

SpanosPayYourRent

23 minutes ago, lancerman said:

The problem is he was being labled a women beater and by accepting the punishment he was accepting that the peanut gallery could say "well if you weren't why didn't you fight it". 

Brady was a step away from going to the Supreme Court and you still have people who say "if you aren't a cheater, why did you give up". 

And he was being labeled that after multiple investigators, multiple police, multiple witnesses all said he didnt do it 

This is really crappy from a human rights type perspective. 

Civil rights? Is that the word I am looking for?

2 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

And he was being labeled that after multiple investigators, multiple police, multiple witnesses all said he didnt do it 

Not really the case to make the human rights argument.

Just now, Deadpulse said:

What does this have to do with human rights?

Wrong word, but I am stupid tired right now and am drawing a blank. Civil rights? 

Essentially he is getting punished for a crime he didnt commit. Its crappy. Now Im off to bed. 

Just now, Matts4313 said:

Wrong word, but I am stupid tired right now and am drawing a blank. Civil rights? 

Essentially he is getting punished for a crime he didnt commit. Its crappy. Now Im off to bed. 

Honestly I shouldn't have asked what you meant. We should stick to football. 

4 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

Civil rights? Is that the word I am looking for?

Dirty little secret: the court of public opinion is simultaneously the most meaningless and dangerous thing

3 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

Yea, I think it's best to let this one go, Matts.

6 minutes ago, TitanLegend said:

How many times can you appeal something? Jesus I just want this to be over already.

It feels like a judge's decision in these cases means absolutely nothing with every single appeal and refile that goes on.

This is atypical. But when you're a millionaire you can afford to file suit in Texas one day then New York the next. Most ordinary people can't even afford an appeal. He'll take advantage of every avenue money can buy. And it's not his fault, the appeals system is just another form of checks and balances and your due process rights. He's fully within his rights to exhaust his potential judicial remedies.

With that being said, another appeal would be playing with fire. He'd risk being suspended for playoffs. And appeals courts typically give deference to lower court decisions as well, even when reviewing de novo (looking at the issues anew). He can appeal this decision but it's extremely unlikely he wins on appeal. It's even unlikely he files an appeal at all given the potential for suspension during playoffs, assuming Dallas gets there without him.

59 minutes ago, Phire said:

I'm going to assume the judge laughed at "irreparable harm." TROs are by nature an extraordinary equitable measure that flexes the government's muscles, telling a citizen(s) what they can or can't do. TROs are given out in the real world for actual harm, not missing out on imaginary statistics or wins. So Zeke gets a 6 game vacation where he can save his body from actual physical harm? But Zeke misses out on those yards! His team! OH THE HUMANITY!

Six game checks would count as harm I imagine.

7 minutes ago, sp6488 said:

Six game checks would count as harm I imagine.

He's already a millionaire and players of his caliber make more money off endorsements and other sources than their game checks. A millionaire losing some money isn't the kind of "irreparable harm" a TRO is intended to prevent. TROs are an extraordinary remedy for unique situations. Someone losing money isn't a basis for a TRO, nor is losing imaginary statistics and wins in a sport.

Archived