If the Packers struggle without Rodgers, is it an indictment on Ted Thompson?

RoellPreston88

3 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

Based on how he defends him at the end of every season like he's protecting his family member from criticism. That and the fact he's stuck with him at least 5 years too long. I'd venture to say, 31 other teams would have dropped Dom before now. 

so because he has a different assessment of Capers’ capabilities than you do (and different assessment of the available replacements on the market), it must be because some unconditional familial attachment? Sounds pretty egotistical of you. But not out of character.

32 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

I think every decent QB and his brother knows the ins and outs of Doms scheme and has so for years. 

You're doing what the definition of what assuming does to you.

I've been able to sit in Dom's office and watch film with some of the rest of the staff I was with at the time. 

They scheme up new stuff every week, he keeps it all in a massive binder, what works over 50% of the time he keeps, what doesn't is thrown out for good.

Did you watch the games Romo called? Remember all the times it'd be a 3rd down and he'd say something like "This is one of those downs Dom will call some sort of crazy zone blitz." 

Of course the QBs know what we'll be running on 75% of the downs. It's called a scheme, Aaron knows what Zimmer will call 75% of the time too, should they fire him? Defense doesn't have limitless plays like offense does. You're either going to be running cover 2, 3, 4, 6, straight man or man 2. Run gaps are pretty basic too. It's the blitz/stunt packages as well as the certain robber type coverages that are finger prints of a DC. 

I see a problem with a basic lack of execution with our players. Whether that's on Dom, or Ted for simple drafting bad players I dont know. That's what needs fixing, the scheme is fine.

4 hours ago, Packerraymond said:

You're doing what the definition of what assuming does to you.

I've been able to sit in Dom's office and watch film with some of the rest of the staff I was with at the time. 

They scheme up new stuff every week, he keeps it all in a massive binder, what works over 50% of the time he keeps, what doesn't is thrown out for good.

Did you watch the games Romo called? Remember all the times it'd be a 3rd down and he'd say something like "This is one of those downs Dom will call some sort of crazy zone blitz." 

Of course the QBs know what we'll be running on 75% of the downs. It's called a scheme, Aaron knows what Zimmer will call 75% of the time too, should they fire him? Defense doesn't have limitless plays like offense does. You're either going to be running cover 2, 3, 4, 6, straight man or man 2. Run gaps are pretty basic too. It's the blitz/stunt packages as well as the certain robber type coverages that are finger prints of a DC. 

I see a problem with a basic lack of execution with our players. Whether that's on Dom, or Ted for simple drafting bad players I dont know. That's what needs fixing, the scheme is fine.

Okay. I need to know more about this Dom's office story. Spill it Ray. Inquiring minds need to know.

2 hours ago, NormSizedMidget said:

Okay. I need to know more about this Dom's office story. Spill it Ray. Inquiring minds need to know.

I guess Dom's office probably was a bad choice of words haha, it was a football office with a projector in it that also happened to have Dom in it. We had just switched to the 3-4 and the Packers had just given up the most yards to a QB rushing in NFL history so they were eager to speak to college teams that had a history defending the zone option read. I didn't say much of anything, mostly listened as I was brought along probably for more of a "here we pay you next to nothing as a grad coach so come hangout at Lambeau" type thing, I didn't complain.

Dom forgot more about football in the bye week than any of us knew going into it. My only wonder is if he's still relatable to today's player.

9 hours ago, packfanfb said:

Based on how he defends him at the end of every season like he's protecting his family member from criticism. That and the fact he's stuck with him at least 5 years too long. I'd venture to say, 31 other teams would have dropped Dom before now. 

What do you want him to say?  Yeah, we think Dom is an awful DC, but we're gonna keep him around anyways.  Geez, I could probably sell you some magic beans if you believe everything that comes out of someone's mouth.

9 hours ago, CWood21 said:

What do you want him to say?  Yeah, we think Dom is an awful DC, but we're gonna keep him around anyways.  Geez, I could probably sell you some magic beans if you believe everything that comes out of someone's mouth.

The fact that he's kept him around shows he means it when he says he's a great DC

1 hour ago, RoellPreston88 said:

The fact that he's kept him around shows he means it when he says he's a great DC

This isn't a light switch.  It it isn't a situation where one morning he wakes up, and says oh Dom needs to be fired.  Dom isn't some moron whose drawing up plays in the sandbox, he's a bright defensive mind.  You don't have an NFL coaching career like he has had.

Regardless of how much Capers knows, I don't see how anyone could take issue with the idea that blown assignments on the defensive side have been a huge problem for years.  Do we even need to debate who's at fault when the problem has persisted this long?  It's been an ongoing issue since the SB win.  Players come and go, but the problem remains.  To me, that falls squarely on Capers and his staff.  I will never understand why MM didn't pull the plug on Capers long ago.

Click bait, spot on, or somewhere in between?

"Put Aaron Rodgers on the Bengals and Andy Dalton on the Packers, and the Packers become the Bengals, and the Bengals become the Packers. Same with Rodgers and Philip Rivers, or Joe Flacco, or Eli Manning, Jacoby Brissett or Carson Palmer. You can go on."

This to me is 100% accurate.

Either way, it appears the Packers media is starting to turn on TT and co. 

1 hour ago, packfanfb said:

Click bait, spot on, or somewhere in between?

"Put Aaron Rodgers on the Bengals and Andy Dalton on the Packers, and the Packers become the Bengals, and the Bengals become the Packers. Same with Rodgers and Philip Rivers, or Joe Flacco, or Eli Manning, Jacoby Brissett or Carson Palmer. You can go on."

This to me is 100% accurate.

Either way, it appears the Packers media is starting to turn on TT and co. 

The next 8-10 weeks will indicate how accurate that concept might be.  Hoping that Hundley has spent the off week in GB studying and preparing as much as possible.  

The first 2 weeks out of the bye are going to be significant in determining how GB will fare in the 2017 season.

1 hour ago, incognito_man said:

lol @ 'starting to'

anytime GB loses more than one game the beat writers turn into the prom-queen runner-up.

TBH, other than McGinn, I can't recall any negative stories from the Packers media about TT, MM or co. in years. It's been free pass city around GB for a long time. Usually McGinn was alone in his effort to criticize the organization and most people on here crucified him for it.

12 minutes ago, squire12 said:

The next 8-10 weeks will indicate how accurate that concept might be.  Hoping that Hundley has spent the off week in GB studying and preparing as much as possible.  

The first 2 weeks out of the bye are going to be significant in determining how GB will fare in the 2017 season.

i know if i had tens of millions of dollars on the line, i'd have my nose to the grindstone :)

49 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

TBH, other than McGinn, I can't recall any negative stories from the Packers media about TT, MM or co. in years. It's been free pass city around GB for a long time. Usually McGinn was alone in his effort to criticize the organization and most people on here crucified him for it.

Lololol are you serious??? They happen constantly.

Archived