Texans sign RB Phillip Lindsay

EaglesPeteC

38 minutes ago, Texansfan713 said:

Lindsay, Ingram and Johnson would have been a killer RB core 2 years ago.  

Could still be, if TK uses them right and Culley and Pep helps guide him properly. Lindsay and Johnson have similar skillsets, the difference is all in age and durability. Ingram, yeah I don't get the signing, is he a good blocking RB? They're both good for Lindsay's development and aren't going to deter him and take away snaps like Gordon did. 

42 minutes ago, Drained said:

Could still be, if TK uses them right and Culley and Pep helps guide him properly. Lindsay and Johnson have similar skillsets, the difference is all in age and durability. Ingram, yeah I don't get the signing, is he a good blocking RB? They're both good for Lindsay's development and aren't going to deter him and take away snaps like Gordon did. 

"No" to the bold. They're both on the opposite spectrum, if anything:

- Johnson is known for his receiving skill. Lindsay is a two down back with no real ability in the passing game.

- Johnson is an inside cut RB, who uses stutter steps and quick cuts to create room. Lindsay has uncanny speed, who uses his speed to get to the edge and turn on his speed. 

If you could combine Lindsay and Johnson, you'd have an elite RB, because their skill sets are so different.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, ET80 said:

- Johnson is known for his receiving skill. Lindsay is a two down back with no real ability in the passing game.

- Johnson is an inside cut RB, who uses stutter steps and quick cuts to create room. Lindsay has uncanny speed, who uses his speed to get to the edge and turn on his speed. 

If you could combine Lindsay and Johnson, you'd have an elite RB, because their skill sets are so different.

I think Lindsay's receiving skill and the narrative that has formed is wrong. Lindsay himself even addressed this.

70+ rec's in his first two seasons, 100+ career in college. 73%+ catch percentage, he hasn't got stone hands. Last season he regressed major but I feel like when he became RB2 at Denver, the staff stopped paying attention to him and that season became an anomaly. He's a good safety valve and check down option, he may not run crazy good routes but that's fine, he's not going to be used as a receiver like DJ was in Arizona.

I think Denver just did him dirty, any Broncos fan can elaborate though but I've seen a lot of Broncos fans attempting to defend his receiving ability online and are sad he's leaving. There's a reason why he wanted to leave that franchise. 

14 minutes ago, Drained said:

I think Lindsay's receiving skill and the narrative that has formed is wrong. Lindsay himself even addressed this.

70+ rec's in his first two seasons, 100+ career in college. 73%+ catch percentage, he hasn't got stone hands. Last season he regressed major but I feel like when he became RB2 at Denver, the staff stopped paying attention to him and that season became an anomaly. He's a good safety valve and check down option, he may not run crazy good routes but that's fine, he's not going to be used as a receiver like DJ was in Arizona.

I think Denver just did him dirty, any Broncos fan can elaborate though but I've seen a lot of Broncos fans attempting to defend his receiving ability online and are sad he's leaving. There's a reason why he wanted to leave that franchise. 

They did but its also a double edge sword. Lindsay wanted a bigger workload and get paid (dont blame him) but the FO wanted more of a traditional 3 down runner. So Lindsay didnt really fit what the offense was trying to do or what they preferred. So instead of just keeping him in a underutilized role, they let him go.

I wish it was different and I hate seeing him play for a different team but Im sure he will bounce back and be great. He just need a team to believe in him and give him the responsibility hes earned and asking for.

He should honestly beat out David Johnson and Mark Ingram for touches no problem. Hes a better runner than both of those guys at this point in his career but given his recent string of injuries and his small frame--maybe its best to keep him at 10-11 touches per game.

Edited by AkronsWitness
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, ET80 said:

This. Even if Lindsay is a capable outlet back, DJ is essentially a WR in the backfield. DJ is more of a runway speed kinda guy, whereas Lindsay is a stomp on the gas speed guy. 

Very different players. I imagine Houston rolls with the hot hand, which should be Lindsay more times than not. I foresee it being a near even split between Lindsay/DJ when you consider DJ's advantage on receiving downs and short yardage. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Drained said:

He's a good safety valve and check down option, he may not run crazy good routes but that's fine, he's not going to be used as a receiver like DJ was in Arizona.

And this is what I'm mostly referencing to. Any yahoo could catch passes out in the flat with nobody in coverage. DJ has an actual route tree, can shake coverage and make contested catches against LB/DBs.

That's the main aspect of DJs game, the versatility of his skill in his receiving ability, not just his hands.