QB Marcus Mariota restructures contract (Now 1 year, $3.5M)

RaidersAreOne

4 minutes ago, Turnobili said:

excellent move. free up ~7 mil in cap space, and still have a high end backup (who now has more trade value)

Yeah, a nice insurance policy if Carr gets hurt or a potential trade chip if a starting QB gets hurt before the trade deadline. 

1 minute ago, Dessie said:

Don’t we have account for MM potentially hitting those incentives? If Carr goes down etc and he hits those incentives then we only save $2m ? 

Unless we trade him...

they're probably all incentives that are "not likely to be earned" so they would only count against the 2022 cap

• Like 1

1 minute ago, NYRaider said:

The only problem is Mariota is always hurt as well. 

The odds him and Carr would be hurt at the same time are minimal, although possible. I also think we have a very good QB3 (specifically for a QB3) in Peterman. I really don’t think he’s the same player he was on the Bills. 

I can't complain about the price...

But Jesus....we couldn't pull this off before teams backed off trades? Couldn't do it while the extra cap space could've netted another potential starter in FA that isn't scraping the bottom of the barrel? 

I mean, I get it, Mariota's side wasn't big on budging either, but it's just another move we make with bad timing, regardless of how good the move may ultimately be.