QB Marcus Mariota restructures contract (Now 1 year, $3.5M)

RaidersAreOne

It’s funny last year we overpaid him greatly.... really to push Carr for his job which he didn’t do at all.  Most backups good backups got 1.5-3.5m

This year a bunch of backups got 10-12M while MM got 3.5m

i mean am I crazy to think Mariotas deal last year, taken as a 1 year deal essentially, was the model for Brisett, Jameis Winston, Fitz, Dalton, etc

kinda ironic 

last year it was a bit infuriating to know there’s a few more QBs then starting spots and a few of them will be cheap.... then we just go and overpay MM.  this year we beat him down on price lol..... we’re so all over the place.

if I was to say the Raiders just signed “player x”, guess his deal and 25 other teams had a fan that said “we just signed player B (who is exactly equivalent to player A), guess his deal.

The 25 teams fans would guess let’s say 5M while we would have not a damn clue.

one deal is good, then next stinks.... our only consistency is inconsistency 

2 hours ago, jimkelly02 said:

It’s funny last year we overpaid him greatly.... really to push Carr for his job which he didn’t do at all.  Most backups good backups got 1.5-3.5m

This year a bunch of backups got 10-12M while MM got 3.5m

i mean am I crazy to think Mariotas deal last year, taken as a 1 year deal essentially, was the model for Brisett, Jameis Winston, Fitz, Dalton, etc

kinda ironic 

last year it was a bit infuriating to know there’s a few more QBs then starting spots and a few of them will be cheap.... then we just go and overpay MM.  this year we beat him down on price lol..... we’re so all over the place.

if I was to say the Raiders just signed “player x”, guess his deal and 25 other teams had a fan that said “we just signed player B (who is exactly equivalent to player A), guess his deal.

The 25 teams fans would guess let’s say 5M while we would have not a damn clue.

one deal is good, then next stinks.... our only consistency is inconsistency 

It seems like this restructure was to make him more tradable.  I think MM wants a chance to start and get a good deal after this year.  If we keep him that is good for us but there was an announcement about the restructure that specifically said this makes him more tradable.  A way to say he wants out without saying he wants out.  Not that he dislikes the franchise but wants a chance to start and earn his incentives.  I think he is traded before the start of the season.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, ronjon1990 said:

I can't complain about the price...

But Jesus....we couldn't pull this off before teams backed off trades? Couldn't do it while the extra cap space could've netted another potential starter in FA that isn't scraping the bottom of the barrel? 

I mean, I get it, Mariota's side wasn't big on budging either, but it's just another move we make with bad timing, regardless of how good the move may ultimately be. 

while yes it def wouldve been better for us at the start of camp. . . there was legit no reason for MM to take a paycut at the start.
If he was released, I think it is very very possible bears give him the andy dalton contract. so 10 mil. or maybe the pats go that route instead of some of their other FAs
once all qb needy teams signed qbs, raiders came back to mariota and said we can give you3.5m, or go to a dried up FA market. 

to say bad timing on the Raiders I dont think is necessarily fair. I think the Raiders had figured / seen it would play out like that. 

• Like 1

I criticize the Raiders for bad business, this is good business. Get an insurance policy high end QB2 for a good price. 

At that price, I don't trade him for anything less than a 3rd. Raiders Oline changes could expose Carr to more hits, best to have someone solid behind him. 

• Like 1

I think he ends up getting traded as well.  I think it will probably be before the draft for a 2nd at best or a 3rd.  I think there are at least 4 maybe 5 teams that could want him to start or at least compete for a starting job right now.  Or hold a job long enough for a rookie to sit a year. 

8 minutes ago, SodakRaiders said:

I think he ends up getting traded as well.  I think it will probably be before the draft for a 2nd at best or a 3rd.  I think there are at least 4 maybe 5 teams that could want him to start or at least compete for a starting job right now.  Or hold a job long enough for a rookie to sit a year. 

If QBs go early in the first then a team needing a QB (Bears, Patriots maybe?) may look to trade for Mariota during the draft.  It's possible.  It would be exciting if it happened and we ended up with a 2nd or 3rd for him.

1 hour ago, Jerry said:

If QBs go early in the first then a team needing a QB (Bears, Patriots maybe?) may look to trade for Mariota during the draft.  It's possible.  It would be exciting if it happened and we ended up with a 2nd or 3rd for him.

I like him at the price for QB2. I could see there being a chance at a trade on draft day. Some team might be happy to pull the trigger if they miss out on the BIG 5 QB draft prospects

16 minutes ago, Humble_Beast said:

I like him at the price for QB2. I could see there being a chance at a trade on draft day. Some team might be happy to pull the trigger if they miss out on the BIG 5 QB draft prospects

I'm just kind of excited at the prospect of us trading him and a pick to move up a round or two.  That would be pretty neat.  Him and a fourth for someone's second.  Something like that would be exciting to watch.

2 hours ago, big_palooka said:

I criticize the Raiders for bad business, this is good business. Get an insurance policy high end QB2 for a good price. 

At that price, I don't trade him for anything less than a 3rd. Raiders Oline changes could expose Carr to more hits, best to have someone solid behind him. 

He could also be a very valuable trade chip if a starting QB on a good team gets hurt before the trade deadline. 

5 minutes ago, RaidersAreOne said:

Interesting tidbit: As part of his reworked deal with the #Raiders, Marcus Mariota secured a no-trade clause, per @GregABedard. His new contract is very tradeable, but Mariota has control now if it ever gets to that point.

makes sense. would be pretty messed up for him to agree to a paycut (rather than hitting the market) only to be dealt somewhere out of his control