Most disappointing Super Bowl from a neutral perspective

Nut

2007 Patriots/Giants.  I was cheering for the Patriots that year because I wanted to see Randy Moss get a ring and also because it would have been witnessing the most "successful" team in NFL history with a team going undefeated after a 16-game season.  Kind of like watching Mike Tyson or Michael Jordan in their prime, it's always interesting to witness true greatness in action.

• Like 1

Definitely Raiders/Redskins from the 1983 season. I don't think any other game is in the vicinity. The others are projections. This one was already previewed. They had played a tremendous high profile game in the regular season and everyone anticipated a rerun. Washington played one high scoring entertaining game after another that season, in the games that were competitive. They defeated the Raiders 37-35 and their only two losses of the season were by 1 point apiece -- 31-30 to Dallas and 48-47 to the Packers. Both of those games were on Monday Night Football, the showcase of that era. 

So basically you had the defending champion versus an incredibly talented Raiders team, and we'd already had the appetizer. Keep in mind the Al Davis ongoing feud with the league, and Raiders' mystique in general. That was the only Super Bowl of my lifetime in which I watched it in a packed household and opinion was virtually split, along with rooting interest. But the one commonality was everyone expected a superb game.

By midway in the second quarter all of the guys in the room were stunned at the Raiders' dominance, while the women got bored with the game and started focusing on the commercials. Then out of nowhere there was a peanut M&M throwing contest. I'm thinking to myself I expected a fantastic football game and instead it's not even halftime yet and I'm getting pelted by peanut M&M's.

During that food fight Jack Squirek officially ended the game with the famous interception touchdown seconds before halftime on the moronic Theismann screen pass attempt to Joe Washington.

2 hours ago, Uncle Buck said:

2007 Patriots/Giants.  I was cheering for the Patriots that year because I wanted to see Randy Moss get a ring and also because it would have been witnessing the most "successful" team in NFL history with a team going undefeated after a 16-game season.  Kind of like watching Mike Tyson or Michael Jordan in their prime, it's always interesting to witness true greatness in action.

As a Dolphins fan that was the greatest game in nearly 35 years. I still savor the memory. The New York Football Giants instantly leapfrogged to my second favorite team, and will never leave that perch.

The outcome was all the sweeter because my mom was still hospitalized after nearly dying of a diabetic coma on Christmas Eve. Our family were Dolphin season ticket holders in 1972. The next day when my dad and I told my mom the Patriots had lost and the Dolphins' unbeaten alone status was still intact, she beamed and asked us to tell her all about the game. Then she was finally able to come home days later. We showed her a tape of the game.

Mom was already very fond of the Giants because the organization treated her so well at training camp in Albany. My parents vacationed in Scotia nearly every summer and would attend Giants camp several times each year. Once my mom was having trouble getting around the Giants employees noticed it immediately and summoned a golf cart to drive her to watch practice. They slotted her front row. Sadly, my mom died of MRSA complications in December 2008. So that was her final Super Bowl. I'm glad it is such a great memory and set of circumstances. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Awsi Dooger said:

As a Dolphins fan that was the greatest game in nearly 35 years. I still savor the memory. The New York Football Giants instantly leapfrogged to my second favorite team, and will never leave that perch.

The outcome was all the sweeter because my mom was still hospitalized after nearly dying of a diabetic coma on Christmas Eve. Our family were Dolphin season ticket holders in 1972. The next day when my dad and I told my mom the Patriots had lost and the Dolphins' unbeaten alone status was still intact, she beamed and asked us to tell her all about the game. Then she was finally able to come home days later. We showed her a tape of the game.

Mom was already very fond of the Giants because the organization treated her so well at training camp in Albany. My parents vacationed in Scotia nearly every summer and would attend Giants camp several times each year. Once my mom was having trouble getting around the Giants employees noticed it immediately and summoned a golf cart to drive her to watch practice. They slotted her front row. Sadly, my mom died of MRSA complications in December 2008. So that was her final Super Bowl. I'm glad it is such a great memory and set of circumstances. 

Based on all of that, I can see how you would have been savoring that win.  I'm glad it brought some happiness to you and your family during a time when you were all suffering from your mom's medical issues.  May she rest in peace. 

SEA/DEN

LAR/NE

I like defensive games but man, NE/LAR wasn’t exactly a defensive battle, moreso Bellichick inside McVay and Goffs head and knowing every move they make. Props to Bill, but such a boring Super Bowl. 

I wasn’t neutral in TB/KC nor DEN/CAR so I won’t say those games. Was rooting against KC cause of Division Rival, and was rooting for Denver because I bet a lot on them at plus money, was surprised they were the underdog, that defense is easily one of the best ever. 

Super Bowl 46 was boring imo because Brady didn't played up to potential and didn't have any fire to beat the Giants. Who in 2007 ruined their perfect season. The Mario Manningham play is literally the highlight of the game. 

Super Bowl 55 was a big waste of time because the Chiefs had two weeks to gameplan around their injuries and they put Mahomes in a awful situation. Their defense also wasn't as good as it should have been going up against a QB coming off a 3 int playoff game.

• Like 1

Just now, Chargers said:

Super Bowl 46 was boring imo because Brady didn't played up to potential and didn't have any fire to beat the Giants. Who in 2007 ruined their perfect season. The Mario Manningham play is literally the highlight of the game. 

Super Bowl 55 was a big waste of time because the Chiefs had two weeks to gameplan around their injuries and they put Mahomes in a awful situation. Their defense also wasn't as good as it should have been going up against a QB coming off a 3 int playoff game.

Chiefs were always going to lose that game, with Fisher or without him. The dominance speaks for itself. The Buccaneer defense was underrated all year, and I believe they were #2 in Defensive DVOA, while also being Top 4 in Offensive DVOA. They are one of the most balanced teams in history. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Awsi Dooger said:

I'm glad I see stories like this to keep me from what I, as a Pats fan, could take for granted. 

15 hours ago, BayRaider said:

Chiefs were always going to lose that game, with Fisher or without him. The dominance speaks for itself. The Buccaneer defense was underrated all year, and I believe they were #2 in Defensive DVOA, while also being Top 4 in Offensive DVOA. They are one of the most balanced teams in history. 

Thank you, Bay Raider. Couldn't agree more. 
I think the Bucs have been unjustly trivialized and the blame laid on injuries. Bull. The Bucs defense was well coached and well prepared.

Chiefs fans, I get it. You think you have the best team, best QB (you do), and therefor, the fact the Chiefs lost is no fault of their own.
Sounds like me in 2007, undefeated and heavy favorite Patriots w/ Tom freekin' Brady... How can it ever be!? 

Simple. Watch the Giants play defense. That's how. 😞

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Split the Sticks said:

Thank you, Bay Raider. Couldn't agree more. 
I think the Bucs have been unjustly trivialized and the blame laid on injuries. Bull. The Bucs defense was well coached and well prepared.

Chiefs fans, I get it. You think you have the best team, best QB (you do), and therefor, the fact the Chiefs lost is no fault of their own.
Sounds like me in 2007, undefeated and heavy favorite Patriots w/ Tom freekin' Brady... How can it ever be!? 

Simple. Watch the Giants play defense. That's how. 😞

Yep. The DVOA says the Buccaneer record should of been more like 12-13 wins but they had some growing pains for some obvious reasons. I don't think they'll win the Super Bowl this year but they should be the clear favorite to win the South and be a contender in the NFC. 

• Like 1