Jaguars sign TE Tim Tebow

RaidersAreOne

1 minute ago, ThatJaxxenGuy said:

Urban will be a bust, I just hope he doesn’t drag Lawrence down with him

Based on what? He's probably the only coach in CFB history to lead 3 different programs to 12+ win seasons with two of them winning titles. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Based on what? He's probably the only coach in CFB history to lead 3 different programs to 12+ win seasons with two of them winning titles. 

That means literally nothing in the NFL, and I think you know that. We've seen time and time again great CFB coaches utterly fail in the NFL. Not saying Meyer will as well, but your track record in CFB doesn't mean a thing.

21 minutes ago, DreamKid said:

Chip Kelly GIF - ChipKelley Tongue Lick - Discover & Share GIFs

But... was he "great?" I say no. He took a program that gets dump trucks full of Phil Knight/Nike money and did what, exactly? 

Not that I don't agree with you. I just think this is the more apt comparison:

College Football GIF by ESPN

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

His two headline signings are Tebow and an overtly racist strength trainer. He thought the way the draft works is that he would somehow have the capital to move up for Kyle Pitts. Drafted an RB in the first round when he already had a good one. Multiple times had to opt out of college seasons because the stress was too much for his health. Is a rookie college coach who is used to having a team have flat-out superior athletes to the defence they are playing against. 

I could be wrong obviously, but nothing Urban has done since signing with the Jags screams “good NFL coach” to me. To me this seems like the classic guy who will lose an NFL locker room when he realizes they aren’t college kids he can just verbally abuse and dominate.

27 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

That means literally nothing in the NFL, and I think you know that. We've seen time and time again great CFB coaches utterly fail in the NFL. Not saying Meyer will as well, but your track record in CFB doesn't mean a thing.

I'd say most of those coaches were probably only successful at one program before making the leap. Meyer took 3 programs to the top of the mountain top in completely different regions of the country. 

2 minutes ago, ThatJaxxenGuy said:

His two headline signings are Tebow and an overtly racist strength trainer. He thought the way the draft works is that he would somehow have the capital to move up for Kyle Pitts. Drafted an RB in the first round when he already had a good one. Multiple times had to opt out of college seasons because the stress was too much for his health. Is a rookie college coach who is used to having a team have flat-out superior athletes to the defence they are playing against. 

I could be wrong obviously, but nothing Urban has done since signing with the Jags screams “good NFL coach” to me. To me this seems like the classic guy who will lose an NFL locker room when he realizes they aren’t college kids he can just verbally abuse and dominate.

I doubt Tebow even makes the roster and they definitely had a good draft/free agency overall. Lawerence looks like a franchise QB and they got him some more weapons in Etiene and Jones. They also bolstered their secondary by adding Griffin, Jenkins, Campbell, and Cisco. 

32 minutes ago, ThatJaxxenGuy said:

To me this seems like the classic guy who will lose an NFL locker room when he realizes they aren’t college kids he can just verbally abuse and dominate.

I’m not gonna address any of the other disagreements I have. But given he’s had countless interviews where he flat out says that relying on that type of behavior will lead to a locker room turning on you, and that instead you have to lift up players and inspire them to work together and treat each other like a close knit family, this seems wildly inaccurate.

11 minutes ago, pwny said:

I’m not gonna address any of the other disagreements I have. But given he’s had countless interviews where he flat out says that relying on that type of behavior will lead to a locker room turning on you, and that instead you have to lift up players and inspire them to work together and treat each other like a close knit family, this seems wildly inaccurate.

That’s the right type of quote but feels hollow when he’s bringing in abusive racists as coaches. I guess time will tell. I like Lawrence and want/expect him to do decently but I am uninspired by Urban 

Edited by ThatJaxxenGuy

3 hours ago, ET80 said:

Wait until news of Deshaun Watson's massage settlements hit... on the same day that Aaron Rodgers is traded to Miami.

Goodness, that's going to be a heavy drinking day for me...

Don’t put that into the world ET, let them tank with Tua this year. Pls

52 minutes ago, ET80 said:

But... was he "great?" I say no. He took a program that gets dump trucks full of Phil Knight/Nike money and did what, exactly? 

Not that I don't agree with you. I just think this is the more apt comparison:

College Football GIF by ESPN

spurrier-done-1.gif

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, ThatJaxxenGuy said:

That’s the right type of quote but feels hollow when he’s bringing in abusive racists as coaches. I guess time will tell

There’s a million bad things to say about Urban hiring Doyle and I agree with pretty much all of them. But I think it speaks much more to the very serious concerns that he’s going to just look the other way on  serious red flags as long as someone is great at their job. That’s been a thing that’s followed him for years throughout multiple programs and could cause major issues at this level, particularly with the bigger microscope on NFL programs. But the idea that he’s abusive and the type to just try to dominate players? I don’t think I’ve ever seen someone suggest that’s the case. He’s had incredible long lasting relationships with the guys he’s coached that span over a decade ans is still close to guys he coached at Utah, approaching twenty years ago now, and I don’t think that would be the case if he’s the type of guy who would treat players like crap.