Jaguars sign TE Tim Tebow

RaidersAreOne

I never thought Tebow would be drafted in the first round, but he was.  I really thought he should have switched to a different position coming out of college, too bad he couldn't swallow his pride 10 years ago. 

That being said, the guy has a legitimate case as the best college football player of all time, and succeeded at QB in college despite not being able to throw the ball that well.  Heck even as an NFL starter he has a positive win % and a playoff win, granted it's a low sample size.  Seems like as a TE/H-back/FB the transition to a new position should be relatively easy compared to other positions, and as a QB he probably already has a decent understanding of how the position plays.  He's not gonna be the starter, so Meyer can put him in only in situations he feels Tebow will bring an advantage.  True he's 34, but like someone else said he has almost no football wear and tear which other TE's FB's will have suffered.  34 today isn't like 34 20 years ago either, athletes are staying in their primes longer and stretching their careers.

I think this will most likely not amount to anything significant, but I wouldn't be surprised to see Tebow have a decent season, maybe a few hundred receiving yards and between 1 and 5 TD's.  I also don't really have faith in Meyer as a coach.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

That means literally nothing in the NFL, and I think you know that. We've seen time and time again great CFB coaches utterly fail in the NFL. Not saying Meyer will as well, but your track record in CFB doesn't mean a thing.

It doesn't mean anything in a vacuum, but we've also seen successful college coaches do the same in the NFL (in modern history), such as Jimmy Johnson, Jim Harbaugh to a degree, Tom Coughlin (Boston College), D. Vermeil, Pete Carroll, and Bill Walsh.

Granted, I don't know that I believe in Urban.

10 minutes ago, pwny said:

I gotta say. Pretty bold move to have brain surgery just to fake a reason to quit your job.

It's what I'mma use to get a day off without using my PTO bank.

You know I can only roll over a half week nowadays!? Theives, the whole lot of 'em...

• Like 2

Just now, ET80 said:

It's what I'mma use to get a day off without using my PTO bank.

You know I can only roll over a half week nowadays!? Theives, the whole lot of 'em...

Make sure you also spend time buckling over at work once every other week or so and holding your head, so you can really sell that your brain is causing you pain. Like this:

urban-meyer-sideline.jpg

• Like 1

9 hours ago, TheRealMcCoy said:

If Lawrence goes down for extending time, then who is playing? 

Having Tebow would be more of an argument to not carrying 3 QBs. Not 2.

Kelce played QB in HS and made the transition to TE in college. He threw 1 pass in his college career. 

Obviously a QB can transition to TE with enough athleticism, but that should've happened early on in his career like at least after he failed as a QB. Logan Thomas is a recent example of a QB making the switch while in the league, but he started like at least 8 years before Tebow and was a bit faster coming out of college. Tebow is big as hell now though so at least he has the size/strength going for him. 

The main upside to this is the crazy Florida/Tebow fans might get to see him in camp or preseason and root for him to make the roster and likely sell a bunch of merch in the process. He's also a good guy, so doesn't hurt having him as a locker room guy, but yeah. There was options in the draft and after the draft in UDFA. They could've easily traded for Ertz. They could've snagged somebody in FA or a vet still out on the market.

I mean their whole TE room is camp bodies, so.... yeah.

I mean it doesn’t take much talent to be a 3rd string TE and this guy is inarguably like the best emergency QB in the league and high character guy which is a bonus. 

People are blowing this signing way out of proportion IMO and I don’t even like Urban Meyer.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, pwny said:

I gotta say. Pretty bold move to have brain surgery just to fake a reason to quit your job.

I'm not denying he had health issues. I just don't know it's solely why he quits and comes back. There were the major issues at Florida when he left, and then at OSU. It all added up.

Tebow is competing to be a bottom of the roster 3rd TE / hybrid guy. Any comparisons to Shoe Salesmen/Activists or Gronk and Kelce is just lame.

• He is a rare superior athlete. He won a Heisman and was 3rd place the next year.
  • He ran for just over 1000 yards and 13 TDs at just under 5.0 ypc in actual NFL games.
    • 4.9+ ypc and 10+ TDs is a very small list. (maybe 20 guys)
  • He had 7 Game Winning Drives in 16 NFL starts (and a few relief games).

No one is expecting him to be Brady, or Cousins, or Dalton, or even Josh Rosen at this point.

If he is an upgrade on the combo of Bruce Miller/Ben Ellefson (or better than one of them) then the Jags got better with him on the team.

Edited by SkippyX

3 minutes ago, SkippyX said:

Tebow is competing to be a bottom of the roster 3rd TE / hybrid guy. Any comparisons to Shoe Salesmen/Activists or Gronk and Kelce is just lame.

• He is a rare superior athlete. He won a Heisman and was 3rd place the next year.
  • He ran for just over 1000 yards and 13 TDs at just under 5.0 ypc in actual NFL games.
  • He had 7 Game Winning Drives in 16 NFL starts (and a few relief games).

No one is expecting him to be Brady, or Cousins, or Dalton, or even Josh Rosen at this point.

If he is an upgrade on the combo of Bruce Miller/Ben Ellefson (or better than one of them) then the Jags got better with him on the team.

The only reason I brought up Kelce is because he was a former QB in high school and I’ve seen that story countless times with tight ends but it never gets brought up like the basketball guy to tight end transition

20 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

I'm not denying he had health issues. I just don't know it's solely why he quits and comes back. There were the major issues at Florida when he left, and then at OSU. It all added up.

I’d guess a cyst in your brain causing migraines to the point you need surgery to have it drained and leads to you being seen on camera multiple times in the weeks leading up to your resignation doubled over being attended to by medical staff, is probably going to be exacerbated by stressors like dealing with the fallout of a large scale scandal you’re at the front of.

I think it’s much more likely that the stress of those situations had an influence on his medical complications more so than him walking away because of the situations. 

46 minutes ago, pwny said:

Make sure you also spend time buckling over at work once every other week or so and holding your head, so you can really sell that your brain is causing you pain. Like this:

urban-meyer-sideline.jpg

I moderate Gen and News, so I do this every day. Multiple times a day.