GDT - NFL Draft

WizardHawk

21 minutes ago, WizardHawk said:

In my fantasy world, I think I’m doing just about everything I can with my remaining 10 picks to land Campbell/Adebo, Moehrig/Holland and Barmore/McNeil today.

Not happening, but that’s just me.

Actually, I forgot JOK was still available. Have to add him to the mix as well some how.

58 minutes ago, D82 said:

Just looking at it as "running back and linebacker" makes it a one sided debate and skews the argument unfairly 

The team selected arguably the best running back prospect in a decade, on a team designed to run first, with an aging veteran QB coming off multiple injuries - this context makes the selection a GOOD PICK regardless of Zekes 2020 season.

The team selected the drafts best defensive player onto a team that had no real playmakers or impact players on defense since Lawrence got his inflated contract and gave up the most points in franchise history, and arguably kept this team out of the playoffs two years in a row, and selected him at a position that was still of need - this context makes the selection a GOOD PICK regardless of how bad you wanted a corner or tackle.

1 hour ago, matt79511 said:

Yeah but they were BPA! Positional value is a mirage, exploit market inefficiencies!

*two years later*

RB in the first, LB in the second

Sooo... what is the best positional value from a top 10 pic...

1 minute ago, quiller said:

Sooo... what is the best positional value from a top 10 pic...

Traditionally, QB, OT, DE, CB, and WR. Pitts is kind of an exception- otherwise, that's all we saw go off the board before we took Parsons. It's even a weak DE class and we still saw the back half of the first flooded with them.

The Cowboys, though, we want guys who'll put up box score stats and sell jerseys. Pay no mind to Zeke's production in our last two elimination games or after Dak went down last year, it's what he did 5 years ago that counts.

14 minutes ago, matt79511 said:

Traditionally, QB, OT, DE, CB, and WR. Pitts is kind of an exception- otherwise, that's all we saw go off the board before we took Parsons. It's even a weak DE class and we still saw the back half of the first flooded with them.

The Cowboys, though, we want guys who'll put up box score stats and sell jerseys. Pay no mind to Zeke's production in our last two elimination games or after Dak went down last year, it's what he did 5 years ago that counts.

Well I won't say your wrong about Jones, he will always draft someone with star power. Though that doesn't explain Taco over Watt but still....

QB is out

OT- I don't consider Sewell a tackle prospect in the NFL most all experts have him as a guard you could make a argument about him still but we are real deep at guard right now and he wouldn't give us very many snaps this year unless some one got hurt.

WR- the elite WR's were gone.

DE - I think it says something that it was until pick 28 or 30 before a DE was chosen.

CB - the elite were gone other then injured Farley.

Thats it.. and we GOT some one who can be considered one of the top defenders in the draft. 

The only real other option based on value was Sewell, and if Sewell had been graded out to be a tackle in the NFL I would say that should have been the pick but sense Sewell is prospected more to be a guard then Parsons seems like a fair pick. The reality is, it was just our bad luck to have a top ten pick in a real down year for D lineman coming out. 

12 minutes ago, quiller said:

Well I won't say your wrong about Jones, he will always draft someone with star power. Though that doesn't explain Taco over Watt but still....

QB is out

OT- I don't consider Sewell a tackle prospect in the NFL most all experts have him as a guard you could make a argument about him still but we are real deep at guard right now and he wouldn't give us very many snaps this year unless some one got hurt.

WR- the elite WR's were gone.

DE - I think it says something that it was until pick 28 or 30 before a DE was chosen.

CB - the elite were gone other then injured Farley.

Thats it.. and we GOT some one who can be considered one of the top defenders in the draft. 

The only real other option based on value was Sewell, and if Sewell had been graded out to be a tackle in the NFL I would say that should have been the pick but sense Sewell is prospected more to be a guard then Parsons seems like a fair pick. The reality is, it was just our bad luck to have a top ten pick in a real down year for D lineman coming out. 

Slater, you mean, not Sewell, who probably would've been my pick.

There's no doubt we panicked somewhat with the CBs off the board and made something out of a bad situation (at least we picked up Philly's 3rd). I feel similarly to this pick as I did Vander Esch. There wasn't an obviously better defender on the board, but it's still somewhat dubious to take someone this high at a position that tends get hurt and wear out quickly.

11 minutes ago, matt79511 said:

There's no doubt we panicked somewhat with the CBs off the board and made something out of a bad situation (at least we picked up Philly's 3rd). I feel similarly to this pick as I did Vander Esch. There wasn't an obviously better defender on the board, but it's still somewhat dubious to take someone this high at a position that tends get hurt and wear out quickly.

Yes... been a little dyslexic with Slater and Sewell of late...    I also feel we can get equal long term value of Slater later in the draft so it made no sense to draft Slater.  If Slater is expected to be a long term tackle in the NFL then yes I think we made a mistake not drafting him. 

58 minutes ago, matt79511 said:

Nothing wrong with Slater. He fit a need at guard-and-eventual-LT while sitting backup to both Lael and Tyron. He has all the traits of fitting any style of blocking, and doing well at run block or protection. To me he was a top, idk, 7ish draft prospect because of all he can do. But Micah to me was the 5th best player. And even then it is ultimately splitting hairs between who is a better prospect.

However, see, it was not offense that kept this team out of the playoffs for two years. In fact, it was offense that even gave it a hope or prayer down the stretch even without its QB last year. So to use that premium pick on our strength makes slightly less sense than using it on our weakness, to make it less of a weakness. 

Splitting hairs still, but rest assured, we got a damn good player on the side of the ball thats killed us for YEARS, not just kept us out of january football for two years, but got us defeated in it for many years prior (That, and Aaron Rodgers).

OH!  And dont forget, with several young guys picked in premium picks on the OL last few years, some getting much needed starting reps this last year, it is still the same situation of spending more top picks on similar positions that we have with LB. Except at LB we are pretty sure what we have in LVE and Smith, while Tyler, mcgovern, williams and to a point even Steele are still growing into their own. McGovern and Tyler look like pretty damn good players in the making based on their small sample sizes so far.

Edited by Dallas94Ware

I get why they thought another OL in the first would be overkill and why they wanted McGovern/Biadasz/etc. to have the chance to prove themselves. Slater was hardly my preference going into yesterday. I just would've rather seen them try to lock in the best OL in the league again, after suffering through a genuinely bad unit up front last year, over trying to add to an ostensible strength at LB that'll revert to being a weakness in '22 when Smith, LVE and Neal are gone.

Tbh, the Parsons pick wouldn't hurt so much if they hadn't paid Jaylon, since their skill sets seem to overlap and they'll likely cut into one another's snaps this year. In that sense, this sort of feels like a pick for '22 onwards, and from that perspective, I would've rather taken the deal the Giants got from Chicago. Oh well, it is what it is. 4 picks today to find some DLs and DBs.

15 minutes ago, matt79511 said:

I get why they thought another OL in the first would be overkill and why they wanted McGovern/Biadasz/etc. to have the chance to prove themselves. Slater was hardly my preference going into yesterday. I just would've rather seen them try to lock in the best OL in the league again, after suffering through a genuinely bad unit up front last year, over trying to add to an ostensible strength at LB that'll revert to being a weakness in '22 when Smith, LVE and Neal are gone.

Tbh, the Parsons pick wouldn't hurt so much if they hadn't paid Jaylon, since their skill sets seem to overlap and they'll likely cut into one another's snaps this year. In that sense, this sort of feels like a pick for '22 onwards, and from that perspective, I would've rather taken the deal the Giants got from Chicago. Oh well, it is what it is. 4 picks today to find some DLs and DBs.

LVE has a chance to be special if he stays on the field and they limit his duties to what he does best - similar to Urlacher, in how what he did best was so good, he neednt do anything else to be considered special.

Smith...i hated the pick, i hated the signing. Too risky for the pick. And spending on a player after ONE good year is inevitably a bad idea everytime we have done it. Think back to Miles Austin, Crayton, Marion Barber, Jay Ratliff. Bradie James, Anthony Spencer, etc. We kept spending big on mediocre players who put up a season of big numbers after years of low to average level play, if any play at all. And it killed this team in form of 6-10, 8-8, 8-8, 8-8 and essentially dooming the careers of three of this franchises all time greats - Witten, Ware, and Romo. Well, ware got his ring, but you catch my drift I am sure. Pay for mediocrity, you get mediocrity, and this team did with Lawrence and Smith. I hated both signings and was booed off this forum for it...but years later, most now hate both signings too.

And now with the extra 3rd. Dont be surprised you see one of these next tier OLs or DBs xome off very early tonight to Dallas. Id rather have Parsons and Moehrig/Samuel/JOK than jussstttt Slater or Jusssttt Surtain any day of the week.

Err, assuming Parsons and Moehrig/etc dont both end up being trash 🤣

Edited by Dallas94Ware

4 hours ago, WizardHawk said:

Actually, I forgot JOK was still available. Have to add him to the mix as well some how.

I’m probably not trading up for JOK, but if he’s there at #44, he absolutely should be the pick, for the same reason you’d have passed on need to take Pitts or Sewell. That’s an absolutely screaming value. Put him at SS, and turn him into Kam Chancellor +.

Him and Parsons flying around in our back 7 would really change the dynamic of this defense.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Nextyearfordaboyz said:

I’m probably not trading up for JOK, but if he’s there at #44, he absolutely should be the pick, for the same reason you’d have passed on need to take Pitts or Sewell. That’s an absolutely screaming value. Put him at SS, and turn him into Kam Chancellor +.

Him and Parsons flying around in our back 7 would really change the dynamic of this defense.

I'd cry if we actually took JOK. That would make me forgive the front office for the Parsons pick.

They'll probably view him as a WLB though and pass on him...

7 minutes ago, Nextyearfordaboyz said:

I am sure this was what they envisioned when selecting Micah. Paired with Neal (dont forget how talented he is and how at one point he was considered a top tier safety/hybrid, even making it as an all pro early on i believe), and potentially a true safety from the draft, and Donovan Wilson (he was probably the only playmaker on that unit),and now you have an extremely aggressive, ballhawking, ball carrier smacking back 7 that allows the front 4 to play better and look less..woeful.

This defense is on the right track. Parsons is a huge step toward becoming something, and the rest of the cogs are assembling into something that lookspretty neat.