15th Overall Pick the New England Patriots Select - Mac Jones - QB - Alabama

Deadpulse

3 hours ago, Starless said:

That's another concern I've had as well. The kid just doesn't look like someone who can take the beating he'll get at the pro level. 

ESPN lists MJ at 6'3" 217.  Stid at 6'3" 215.  TB12 is listed 6'4" 225.  On paper he doesn't seem too far off if those stats are accurate?  

3 hours ago, IheartMyV8 said:

ESPN lists MJ at 6'3" 217.  Stid at 6'3" 215.  TB12 is listed 6'4" 225.  On paper he doesn't seem too far off if those stats are accurate?  

Edelman was listed at 6'0" for a long time when he was really 5'10." Wilfork was listed at 325 lbs for his whole career, when we all know he was closer to 370.

Anyway, it's not the lack of height that concerns me. Short QBs can and have succeeded in the NFL. It's his build. He looks badly out of shape. You'll notice that guys like Brees, Wilson, Mayfield and Murray are all jacked and look very much the part of pro athletes. Jones definitively does not, and that worries me. 

Edited by Starless

50 minutes ago, Starless said:

Anyway, it's not the lack of height that concerns me. Short QBs can and have succeeded in the NFL. It's his build. He looks badly out of shape. You'll notice that guys like Brees, Wilson, Mayfield and Murray are all jacked and look very much the part of pro athletes. Jones definitively does not, and that worries me. 

I mean, Jackson, Rodgers, Eli, Romo, Brady, Ryan, Cutler, Goff, Stafford...plenty of guys that don’t have athletic builds (visually) that don’t have injury issues. 

If the dude gets obese, it’ll be a concern. His build as it stands isn’t really a big problem IMO. Cam’s a monster and he’s been injury prone.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Yin-Yang said:

I mean, Jackson, Rodgers, Eli, Romo, Brady, Ryan, Cutler, Goff, Stafford...plenty of guys that don’t have athletic builds (visually) that don’t have injury issues. 

If the dude gets obese, it’ll be a concern. His build as it stands isn’t really a big problem IMO. Cam’s a monster and he’s been injury prone.

bolded are the only two guys who are of similar height/weight to Jones and they both had substantial injury issues throughout their careers. The others are all either far more athletically built (Stafford, Jackson), significantly taller and more wiry (Brady, Eli, Goff), or have remarkable ability to escape pressure, which Jones lacks (Rodgers). 

Jones is small, out of shape, AND lacks mobility. Not a good combination for a QB. 

1 minute ago, Starless said:

bolded are the only two guys who are of similar height/weight to Jones and they both had substantial injury issues throughout their careers. The others are all either far more athletically built (Stafford, Jackson), significantly taller and more wiry (Brady, Eli, Goff), or have remarkable ability to escape pressure, which Jones lacks (Rodgers). 

Jones is small, out of shape, AND lacks mobility. Not a good combination for a QB. 

Was speaking more on the “athletically built” and “look the part”, in terms of his weight and build. 

Guys like Eli and Brady never had great builds. Big Ben and Phillip Rivers never looked like they’re in playing shape. If his cardio holds and he avoids the flukey injuries, it’s fine. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Yin-Yang said:

Was speaking more on the “athletically built” and “look the part”, in terms of his weight and build. 

Guys like Eli and Brady never had great builds. Big Ben and Phillip Rivers never looked like they’re in playing shape. If his cardio holds and he avoids the flukey injuries, it’s fine. 

For NFL purposes, there's a world of difference between 6'1"/6'2" and 6'4"/6'5", especially if the guys in the latter category have good flexibility.

I'm not saying Jones needs to train until he looks like Garoppolo, but he should at a minimum have the - what's that word? pliability? - to withstand the beating he's gonna take at the pro level. And while he might be the kind of genetic freak who can have that while looking like Knocked Up-era Seth Rogen, statistically speaking, he probably doesn't.

The fact that he only started for one year at Alabama doesn't exactly set my mind at ease, either. If he had a longer track record of staying healthy, that'd be one thing, but we're talking about a guy with 550-something dropbacks under his belt. Hard to extrapolate durability from that. 

Edited by Starless

On 5/28/2021 at 3:15 AM, Starless said:

For NFL purposes, there's a world of difference between 6'1"/6'2" and 6'4"/6'5", especially if the guys in the latter category have good flexibility.

I'm not saying Jones needs to train until he looks like Garoppolo, but he should at a minimum have the - what's that word? pliability?

How do you know he doesn't train pliability? If you're pliable, you don't necessary have boulder delts and washboard abs. It's unseen. 

He looks like a tub of glue, but that doesn't mean he's not fit and/or pliable. Just means his diet and weight training isn't spot on

Brady Quinn was what I'd call a jacked QB. He was crap and stiff

Edited by Hunter2_1
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Hunter2_1 said:

How do you know he doesn't train pliability? If you're pliable, you don't necessary have boulder delts and washboard abs. It's unseen. 

I don't. But if he's not well-conditioned in other respects, chances are that he's behind the curve on that front as well.

• 1 month later...
18 hours ago, Nex_Gen said:

Pre-draft profile video of Mac, diving more into his IQ and preparation as a player. Mark Sanchez seems like a really cool dude all things considered...

Yeah, Sanchez is surprising smooth on TV. Similar to Romo in that sense, just a TV 'natural'. As far as Jones... his voice seemed to crack often, not sure if that's because he was nervous or what not. Not exactly a voice that inspires confidence lol, but then again his teammates might not care. Maybe that's just how he talks. I shouldn't be judging his voice so much.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...